Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

MOTION SEQUENCE "STUTTER" EFFECT

workergrayworkergray Gulfport, FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 222

There are some parts of songs where I'd like to be able to parameter lock the Stutter effect for note/track/song if that's possible.

Comments

AndrewChiAndrewChi BelgiumPosts: 12

Yes, me too. And I would also love to control Dry/Wet of stutter effect

some visual feedback on the effect (like 4/8/16/32/64th) notes would be good too. just more control over the effect would be great.

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

I'm keen on seeing this effect develop more.
    I've got some great use from it already but I want something more.
    Just not quite sure how to put the desire in to words yet.

sinknoodlessinknoodles Vancouver, CanadaPosts: 32
    edited July 2017

+1

Post edited by sinknoodles on

also, would be great if both the on/off and time division where patch sources that could be modulated by e.g. LFO1

suboscillatorsuboscillator Milwaukee, WI USABeta Tester Posts: 12

Upvoted for this bit about showing the clock division on the display.

@workergray said:
    some visual feedback on the effect (like 4/8/16/32/64th) notes would be good too. just more control over the effect would be great.

KlaustrophilKlaustrophil Posts: 71
    edited December 2017

+for showing clock division

Post edited by Klaustrophil on
    amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

cool if we could control stutter with pads, much like the (for now discarded) velocity pad mode.
    so u could jump to different best division directly and generate rhythmical mashup.

mpiecorampiecora United StatesPosts: 29

+1

This combined with probability will be great.

sun_shine_loversun_shine_lover TokyoPosts: 4
    Also the level of the stutter effect when using it on a whole track of drums can get too loud so better coding to manage the levels would be good. And an autofade that gets rid of clicks would help.
    VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USABeta Tester Posts: 129

Reverse on stutter can be interesting! ( Called "reverse looper" etc. on other gear )

Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
    YouTube: VJFranzK

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247
    @VJFranzK super keen on a reverse looper.

Got my Delguge! Have liked using this. I realize, It'd be useful to have the loop grab lock to numbered beat intervals.

LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

BUMP +1

danktledanktle United StatesPosts: 5

From what I see you can't record any automation for the stutter effect at all? Damn.

72versions72versions Auckland NZBeta Tester Posts: 39

+1

lionsandlionsand Montreal CanadaPosts: 1

Midi control over studder would be very awesome

the stutter effect requires some "lead time" to get audio into the buffer-- this is why it currently "can't" be automated-- but that only matters on the first bar of audio. I don't care if it doesn't work right on the first bar, personally-- as long as the subsequent iterations are affected. You can use the deluge to control a similar effect on the KP3 with CC's. I'm sure it CAN be implemented.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@workergray said:
    the stutter effect requires some "lead time" to get audio into the buffer-- this is why it currently "can't" be automated--

interesting point.
    Did Synthstrom say that? I dont understand how this can matter at all.
    The same could be said about the delay. Delay uses a buffer as well. No user will ever complain delay automation does not work if there is no delay tail on the first step when you start/stop. Same with stutter, if I automate stutter to kick in with a 2 bar repeat on the first step I shall get what I deserve: silence. Used loads of looper/stutter/freezer FX with automation, not for a second I was ever disturbed about this "problem".

It was over a year ago that I heard that, Amiga-- but I'm pretty sure it was Rohan.

That's the reason it hadn't been initially implemented, but I don't think they were necessarily opposed to it as a feature-- I guess they figured it was something that could wait until it was demanded.

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

@amiga909 said:

@workergray said:
    the stutter effect requires some "lead time" to get audio into the buffer-- this is why it currently "can't" be automated--

interesting point.
    Did Synthstrom say that? I dont understand how this can matter at all.
    The same could be said about the delay. Delay uses a buffer as well. No user will ever complain delay automation does not work if there is no delay tail on the first step when you start/stop. Same with stutter, if I automate stutter to kick in with a 2 bar repeat on the first step I shall get what I deserve: silence. Used loads of looper/stutter/freezer FX with automation, not for a second I was ever disturbed about this "problem".

I don’t buy this either, think about it - as far as the operating system is concerned stutter is initiated as soon as the user presses the encoder, the operating system has no way of knowing when the user will press the encoder, yet stutter always works just fine. Now add a routine which automates the encoder press and the operating system actually knows exactly when the event will occur, so if anything I’d be more inclined to believe if it was the case that stutter could only be programmed and not initiated in realtime.

edited July 2018

Found it:
    Rohan Hill-Deluge firmware beta tester, 11-22-2017 8:06PM

The way that stutter works is that, whatever "speed" it's at, it'll wait until it's "sampled" one whole cycle of its buffer before then beginning to play that buffer back...etc...<<<

Post edited by workergray on

Of course-- "we" don't care if it waits a cycle for the effect to kick-in-- do we?

edited July 2018

Right! And it need not wait a whole bar, just whatever the duration of the buffer is.

Post edited by darenager on
    o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

You're not even really waiting, because the synth is actually playing the audio that is added into the buffer anyway, so that's the first "repetition" and then the stutter repeats it. so if I say "Ha" and then the stutter adds "Ha Ha Ha Ha" behind it, you still hear the real "Ha" as being part of the stutter, so in practice, the effect starts immediately

It occurs to me that each saved Song should have it's own Default Stutter value, that could be set by the user to the spacing that is the most useful for that particular song structure. ( It might be 1/16, or 1/4 or whatever. )

+1 for motion recording and midi control of stutter.

mlaszewsmlaszews Boulder, COPosts: 1

+1 this would be a great feature and it seems like it would be very simple to implement.