Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Multi-sampling/ velocity layering

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Can we have multi-sampling/ velocity layering, to create more nuanced sounds/instruments for playing with an external controller with velocity sensitivity ?

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

Comments

I'll just BUMP :)

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247
    Can you explain that a little deeper?
    edited August 2017

Let's say u sample a real piano for example. And u sample the piano when u play really soft, semi-soft, a bit harder, medium, hard and really hard (depending on how many velocity 'levels' u want), because the timbre and sound of the piano is different depending on how hard it is played.

Then u make those samples trigger in correspondance with the velocities of f.ex. the pads u play on a sampler, so that u can capture the variances in sound and the play-feel better.

Also, if u sample a low C, a middle C and a higher C from the real acoustic piano, and make it so that the low C is being pitch-shifted (played and turned into different notes) in the lower ranges of the designated keyboard/ pads, the middle C in the middle range and the high C in the upper ranges, then the notes will sound more real :)

And since there's no velocity sensitivity on the pads themselves on the Deluge, but there's velocity capabilities for either manual editing or with an external MIDI keyboard - we'd need to use a velocity sensitive external controller.

Post edited by Icoustik on

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

Yeah, I did some research on that. I can see how that would be great for lots of people.

TactileAFTactileAF Perth, Western AustraliaBeta Tester Posts: 22

Good for drums too. You could do a basic 2 sample version of this if the OSC1 and OSC2 Volume-to-velocity mappings could be seperated

Yeah word, I noticed that, that'll be a start :)

neilbaldwinneilbaldwin UKBeta Tester Posts: 143

You can already do it a bit on kits. I just posted this on the Facebook group:

Nice little 'velocity mapping' you can do on kits.
    Assign a snare to OSC 1. Assign a different snare to OSC 2.
    Set the volume of OSC1 and OSC 2 to 25.
    Map VELOCITY to the Volume of OSC1 @ -50 and then map it to OSC2 @ +50
    Stick some snares down on a track. Hold the pad and turn the X knob to change velocity. The lower the velocity the more the snare on OSC1 will be heard. The higher the velocity the more you'll hear the snare on OSC2.

funktreefunktree NYPosts: 128

@TactileAF said:
    Good for drums too. You could do a basic 2 sample version of this if the OSC1 and OSC2 Volume-to-velocity mappings could be seperated

Fully agree but the curve to flip the oscillators volume is still linear. A bit awkward for layering, I think we would need OSC3 or sample 3 and controlling velo/volume curve ... still +1

mrrafsmrrafs ukPosts: 63

+1 for multi-sample velocity kits

cvgatecvgate Paris, FrancePosts: 9

Oh yeah. That would be a game-changer for me. I definitely want that!

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

+1
    Would be a huge step into the domain of advanced hardware samplers as they are sadly not made anymore today (Emu, Akai, Roland, ..).

mrrafsmrrafs ukPosts: 63
    edited July 2018

Velocity layered sample packs are becoming the norm for one-shots.. MPC live has them, as well as BM3 and SampleTank 2 (ios)
    ...ST2 has a 1/2 price sale this week on it's pro pack ( I am not affiliated in anyway - just happy that £23 get me 8velocity layered ok recordings of 500+ instruments. whoop whoop)

Post edited by mrrafs on
    o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

Seem that this would be a specialized synth mode, rather than adding more stuff to the substractive synth.

fryyyyfryyyy germanyPosts: 161

I've created a video tutorial how to do multi sample velocity mapping with the deluge kit creator.

bleurghbleurgh Sydney, AustraliaBeta Tester Posts: 26

@fryyyy said:
    I've created a video tutorial how to do multi sample velocity mapping with the deluge kit creator.

Cool stuff!