Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Instant mute as a Default option

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

Holding shift to mute instantly is a bit of a pain when performing with multiple machines, can we please have single button instant mute as an option? In fact I think I’d prefer the opposite behaviour to what we currently have, instant mute to not require shift and cued muting to require shift, it makes more sense to me that way, as typically instant muting is well, instant, where cued muting happens after the specified timebase.

Comments

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

I agree, I also miss the option to have cued mutes on the next beat/bar. I often have tracks with variations built-in ( 4 bar chord progression over 8 bars ) so really they can be cued to the 4 bar boundary

JscottkJscottk SeattlePosts: 51

+1 great idea. I'd love to be able to automate track muting as well (so I can set up cuts/drops within tracks easily)

krunchrkrunchr Mainz, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 70

-1 :p

I prefer the current way

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

Would a latching shift button, as has been requested, do the trick?

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

@minigoat RE: Latching. yeah... I'd think so.

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

@minigoat I +1 for the latching shift but I don’t think it would replace exactly and I think both latching shift and instant mute would be good to have.

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

Yeah I agree and also agree that there should be multiple modes to choose from, per track.

Some tracks I only want to launch once (one-shot)
    Others should play until I release the pad (nice for live playing with samples)
    Other should loop, but some should sync to a bar of 16 beats, so when you mute, it first finishes the bar, no matter what other tracks are doing.
    Some should synch to only 4 beat, others to 1 beat.
    Others should mute immediately.
    Etc.

VoltVolt Posts: 55

+1 - and please recording automations of track mutes!

StromerStromer GermanyPosts: 55

Track mute by external midi would also help when working together with other hardware-sequencers. Then you can use one controller-box for all machines.

fryyyyfryyyy germanyPosts: 161

@minigoat said:

That also has other side effects, as shift affects many controls

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@fryyyy said:

@minigoat said:

That also has other side effects, as shift affects many controls

there might be less side effects than you expect. essentially a latching shift should just react the same as if u have the shift button pressed all the time, try doing that and try to “forget” u dont press shift, it is not that crazy imho, i like that feature on the Cirklon, it is easy to get into it.

Instead of save you will press delete though, that worries me :open_mouth:

@fryyyy said:
    Instead of save you will press delete though, that worries me :open_mouth:

the only thing u can accidentaly delete is automation for 1 parameter?

• you get a DELE message before deleting songs. and u have to be in the load screen first anyway.
    • deleting tracks in song mode or kit mode is not associated to shift, pad + delete to delete track / kit row.
      however, shift + knob push deletes automation, that might be a pitfall. or for midi tracks record, shift + midi knob even more.
    edited December 2018

@darenager said:
    Holding shift to mute instantly is a bit of a pain when performing with multiple machines, can we please have single button instant mute as an option? In fact I think I’d prefer the opposite behaviour to what we currently have, instant mute to not require shift and cued muting to require shift, it makes more sense to me that way, as typically instant muting is well, instant, where cued muting happens after the specified timebase.

Actually just thought what about 2 different modes in the same button:

• short press: instant mute
    • longer press ( > 0.5 sec ) => mute after playback. The mute button could be blinking until end of playback to indicate that its loaded for mute.

This way we can quickly flip stuff instantly while also allowing easy mute after playback.

Post edited by fryyyy on

@fryyyy said:

• longer press ( > 0.5 sec ) => mute after playback. The mute button could be blinking until end of playback to indicate that its loaded for mute.

This way we can quickly flip stuff instantly while also allowing easy mute after playback.

does fit to the composing but not to the performing situation, instant track changes when performing live are going to happen by accident i fear.

did upvote this thread, if instant track change was default or configurable i would happily take that.
    the problem with the current setup is that there is no problem if you favor the live performance situation.
    latching shift still seems the best solution to me as it is a feature u can decide not to use live and it also solves the shift pain when editing via the pad shortcuts.

krunchrkrunchr Mainz, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 70

@fryyyy said:

I disagree. Long-pressing a button - no matter for which reason - is never a viable solution in any live context.

What if it toggles through 3 states:

1. ON
    2. MUTE after playback (blinking)
    3. MUTE

So by tapping twice, we can set it to instant MUTE, while tapping once will go to mute after playback.