Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

4bit, 8bit Sample Modes for retro magic

fryyyyfryyyy germanyPosts: 161

Currently we can choose between indexed and synced sampling rates. It would be great if there are additional lower bit modes to emulate oldschool sampling hardware like the Mirage, Roland S50, Korg M1 etc.
Tal Sampler has some good digital emulations of this.

Heres a great overview what a 4Bit Mirage sampler is doing to the samples. Jump to 16:41

Cheers

Post edited by fryyyy on

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@fryyyy said:
    Currently we can choose between indexed and synced sampling rates.

What do u mean?
    The bitcrusher essentially reduces the bit depth, so you could kinda emulate 4-bit sounds already?
    I'd surely like to see an improved bitcrusher/sample rate reducer. It is an effect I like a lot and Deluge has not the best sounding variant for my taste.

fryyyyfryyyy germanyPosts: 161

Yeah, since the bitcrusher doesnt really produce the same quality like vintage machines, and you'd want to keep the effect backwards compatible i thought its best to add new modes to the samples, which would be emulations of vintage hardware.

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

The whole backwards compatible thing has to be a really pain in the arse for development.
    I'd be happy to rebuild songs as a trade off for new distortion effects with higher resolutions.

muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128

I think most of the old samplers also had simple analog filters to filter out the aliasing and other artefacts that came from a low bit depth / sample rate and that they contributed a lot to the character. Same with vintage delays. A simple bitcrusher won't cut it in terms of emulation.

I know that Geist 2 has a mode that emulates some old-school sampler or other and it sounds pretty nice, can't say I'm desperate for it though, I'd rather improvements to the existing FX as I find all the distortions pretty unusable TBH - they go from nothing to mush far too quickly.

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078
    edited July 2018

@muleskinner said:
    I think most of the old samplers also had simple analog filters to filter out the aliasing and other artefacts that came from a low bit depth / sample rate and that they contributed a lot to the character. Same with vintage delays. A simple bitcrusher won't cut it in terms of emulation.

Yes, that's correct, actually only lowering the bit depth of an audio file doesnt do much more than increasing low-level noise. the charm of old samplers is related to many more factors like low-quality dither and DA converters, low sampling rates, harmonic distortion from analog circuits, programming tricks to make DSP algorithms possible on old digital hardware, ...

Post edited by amiga909 on