Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Automation of Start and End points of a sample and different Looping options

2»

Comments

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    PhilPhil MontréalBeta Tester Posts: 105

All synth parameters should allow automation and mapping to parameter knobs. Many parameters can't right now, such as arpeggiator octave and sync ratio and others that I can't remember.
    Open up this baby!!!!

TrippyTrippy Milky WayPosts: 7

+1000 I want! It would be great for wavetable synthesis...

liquid_airliquid_air USPosts: 8

Yes. +1

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

cool ideas here. i want em all :)
    Speculation: at superbooth Ian told me Rohan has a kind of granular synth in mind. however, thats a complex matter and will take much time to develop.
    for me Deluge is a sampler in its heart, sample instruments are most important. maybe there is an easy way to allow sample end and start as mod targets, if so: please consider it as the very next thing :)

agree +1

SamuelSamuel Rotterdam, NetherlandsPosts: 35

I honestly hope Synthstrom are working towards granular and wavetable synthesis options. What we have seen teased so far (waveform visualization, loop point selection interface, automatic pitch detection, multisample loading, better timestretching) seems to suggest they are at least getting the different frontend and backend elements ready to do this.

The waveform visualization is useful for setting grain start points, sizes and random ranges. The waveform visualization would also allow you to set a cycle length in a waveform to chop the sample up in cycles to create a wavetable. Alternatively, pitch detection and multisample loading could make it easier to set up wavetables. I can also imagine the improved timestretching to play a role in morphing between wavetables or smoothly playing grains.

IF granular and wavetable synthesis is added in 2.1 I will have SO MUCH FUN coming up with nice sounds. I beleive the ingredients for these types of synthesis are there in the 2.1 update, I just really hope they find intuitive solutions to control all the parameters associated with these types of synthesis. What I've seen so far has me pretty confident they could pull this off...

@renewable_intel said:
    Hey all, what do you guys think about automating the Start and End sample points via realtime recording, LFO and parameter locks.

This would open up the sound design side of the deluge, great for creating unusual sonic textures and cool wave type synthesis.

I also would love to see a cross fade looping option which would allow sounds to be looped seamlessly, like the Simpler instrument found on Ableton.

Cross fading between points would allow to smooth the loops points of any sound captured without having to painstakingly resort to using your ear to nail that perfect click-less loop. Besides, cross fading is also great for creating your own pad or lead sounds with ease.

Let me know your thoughts on this!

While this is an excellent suggestion and would make a great addition to any unit, UNTIL the Deluge supports the insertion of a note event with default levels of modulation into an existing sequence, this feature would be useless.

Deluge allegedly supports "per note" modulation however currently, if you insert a bunch of notes, then modulate one event, the modulation extends all the way until the next note event (no matter how long the modified note is, and no matter how far away the next note is)..

..... IF you then insert a note in between these two note events, you may reasonably expect that note to be at default parameters..it is not.. the modulation is overwritten by the prior modified note.

This flaw/feature/bug/idiosyncratic nature/phrase of choice in the Deluge makes your (highly desirable) feature request largely useless imo as you will have absolutely no idea what modulation is or is not applied to inserted notes PARTICULARLY since deleting a modified note only deletes the note, and not the applied modulation.

regards

edited October 2018

@Mystic38 said:
    While this is an excellent suggestion and would make a great addition to any unit, UNTIL the Deluge supports the insertion of a note event with default levels of modulation into an existing sequence, this feature would be useless.

i see what u mean, trig steps in elektron sequencers.
    however, far from useless without it. cool feature for sound scultping: wavetable, granular synthesis. so you work with lfos, envs and such to make a new sound.

btw, there is a workaround for parameter step edit:
    use a muted note row for step params.

Post edited by amiga909 on
    Ke10gKe10g BerlinBeta Tester Posts: 26

+1

This would seemingly be so easy. With the sample startpoint selected in the new waveform view, simply route LFO or random generator from there (or whatever else one would desire, but those would be the "go to" mods for most I'm guessing)... that alone would open up the possibilities of music making immensely :) Any further/advanced functionality could easily wait.

edited December 2018

@MachineAgeVoodoo said:
    This would seemingly be so easy. With the sample startpoint selected in the new waveform view, simply route LFO or random generator from there (or whatever else one would desire, but those would be the "go to" mods for most I'm guessing)... that alone would open up the possibilities of music making immensely :) Any further/advanced functionality could easily wait.

no sample start modulation yet sadly

Post edited by amiga909 on
    definitiondefinition AustraliaPosts: 4

+1 Just ordered a Deluge and would LOVE to see this feature in the future. Been wanting a good hardware granular synth for ages now.

theoristtheorist NC.USAPosts: 8

Just upvoted and commented on a similar suggestion about granular sampling, which true granular synthesis would be rad, but at the very least I hope that this start.end sample point automation gets implemented.

just a demo, stretch and start/end modulation would be insane

OszilloOszillo -Posts: 26

When working with waves to find zero crossings and able to jump/scrolling the loop points to those crossings would be a very powerful feature.

cloudseedscloudseeds BrooklynPosts: 4

I haven't read all the comments in this thread but the first thing I did after updating to the Waveform View version of Deluge was attempt to "play the start and end points" like an alternative keyboard with record engaged and the track playing. I was saddened when those changes I made weren't recorded to the sequence. I know Ian is super into using the Waveform view performatively while a track is playing so I'm hoping this is how start and end automation will ultimately be implemented and soon! xoxo

rudolphrapidrudolphrapid Beta Tester Posts: 129
    edited September 2019

I'm not sure automating/modulation sample start and end points can be done with samples read from SD card. Even Octatrack states that such feature is unstable with its Static machine.

Post edited by rudolphrapid on

@rudolphrapid said:
    I'm not sure automating/modulation sample start and end points can be done with samples read from SD card. Even Octatrack states that such feature is unstable with its Static machine.

Ultimately only Rohan knows. Some automation surely is possible as i can change the start/end point very fast manually and it works.

"WAVETABLE shortcuts have been added to both oscillators - so you can probably guess what we plan to implement for those."
    http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/comment/8213#Comment_8213
    imho Ian is cryptic here, no idea what exactly is coming. i assume he doesnt want the competition know what they are working on.

The term "Wavetable" can be associated with PPG Wave style Wavetable synthesis, Roland D-50 LA style or Prophet style vector synthesis. and many more. usually wavetable synths works with 1 cycle samples (really short samples) that can be mixed and sequenced in many ways.
    well possible the term wavetable is used in the Deluge in terms of sample-based synthesis which the Deluge already has, so it might be just a GUI thing to move SAMPLE out of the OSC Type selection.

Modulating start, end and loop points of a (potentially very long) sample is rather associated to granular synthesis.
    My guess is: modulating start, end and loop points in the mod matrix it is possible to some extent and it will come one day but it is not a top priority for Synthstrom.

OszilloOszillo -Posts: 26

@rudolphrapid said:

Its actually possible with the Octatrack but only for partial wavs in the RAM via SL parameters(tracks page2) not gigabyte wise shuffled stuff from the Card and not as a free sample sized point - only in fixed partials of the whole sample size.
    For the Deluge start-point shifting up to the end/loop-cycle point is a matter of sample block-size handling in memory in combination with the stretch algo. But would be a big thing even without reapplied stretching algo. When you can do it by hand, you could do it with code also.

LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

+100

Marteau_PicardMarteau_Picard BelgiumPosts: 5

We need this !
    Thanks.