Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

More Polyphonic modes

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

While infinite polyphony might be interesting in theory, in practice it's not that useful, specially with instruments that have longer releases. And since the Deluge doesn't have infinite CPU bandwidth available, I think that actively controlling polyphony would be a good feature.

Most useful would be to have a Poly1 Poly2 mode for polyphony.

A lot of synth have them, Usually with Poly1 every new note is a new voice, so if the same note is played twice, the 2nd instance doesn't cutoff the first one. Poly2 recycles the same voice when the same note is re-triggered. This is useful because with most acoustic instruments, playing the same note will cutoff the release, preventing chords from becoming muddy ( on a piano, you can only play a single A4 note, playing it again just vibrate that same string )

Without it, you can't really have pads with really long releases, because you quickly run out of notes as well as creating a sonic mess.

Second, being able to actively limit polyphony to 2-8 notes, again to keep chords clear, limiting a synth to only 4 voices can be very useful, because it prevents it from having too many notes overlapping. anything from 2 to 8 is musically useful, and a single infinite/auto setting after that probably covers all other "many notes" use cases.

Bonus if you can implement polyphonic legato glides, there's some interesting stuff to be done there, but those are really not a useful, while I think that having Poly1 / Poly2 implementation would.

P.S. I know I've been making a lot of suggestions. I just want to say that I'm perfectly fine with the Deluge as it is, and that it is a fantastic instrument, specially as an all-in-one device. there are some quirks, but overall much respects for Synthstrom Audible for single-handedlly ( well maybe more than just one hand ) putting New Zealand on the map. Kudos!

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

This is basically what the Auto setting is for :) Can't set the specific number of allowed polyphony obviously, but it does save CPU. Could probably be expanded upon

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

I'm actually less concerned about CPU ( well I am, but not for this thread ) but talking about a very specific voice-stealing algorythm that's present in a large number of synths, and is actually super useful.

Does anyone know what AUTO does exactly?

AbortRetryFailAbortRetryFail FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 61

+1
    I have hardware synths with that I use for long release pads for this reason.

bast525bast525 Virginia Beach, VA, USAPosts: 21

I would like to see this as well. The primary DAW I use had several built in synths that all allow specifying from 1 to 8 voices and this comes in very handy.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

AUTO just conserves voices/ CPU by acting like MONO but not stopping you from playing chords, so that the track doesn't eat unnecessary CPU when chords are NOT played :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

AUTO just conserves voices/ CPU by acting like MONO but not stopping you from playing chords, so that the track doesn't eat unnecessary CPU when chords are NOT played :)

I'm pretty sure that not playing notes in a dynamic environment always saves the CPU. There must be an actual difference between AUTO and POLY, no?