Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

hi ide just like to introduce my self and ask my first question :)

hi every one Ide just like to introduce my self, as my signature says i'm trey from the uk and I'm totally blind with cerebral palsy. I will soon be adding the deluge to my setup is there any thing I should know before I make the perches? any tips or hints?

my first real question is where are pads 1 and 128 located on the grid?

your help with this would be most welcome, and I can't weight to get an amazing deluge!! :)

I'm trey from the uk I'm totally blind with cerebral palsy, I make music with hardware and reaper on Mac os10.

Comments

soundwarrior20soundwarrior20 Wales Uk Posts: 27

@alien_brain said:
    issues are bad sd cards, batteries that only seem to charge when usb is connected but mysteriously die early (a few have replaced new batteries) and print that rubs off. also some have had knobs switched out after malfunctions. as far as the pad numbers, im not sure they are numbered.

i honestly think the deluge might be quite a challenge to use if you cant see its grid, but im pretty sure you are used to such challenges. good luck! deluge is a fun feature packed device.

thanks man I've already used one I reckon it will be ok for me to use :) I have another question how do I move between bars in a track or song for example if I want to move from bar 1 to bar 2 to make a change thanks for your help :)

I'm trey from the uk I'm totally blind with cerebral palsy, I make music with hardware and reaper on Mac os10.

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199
    edited June 2018

To move back and forth between bars, use the upper left knob. To add bars, hold shift and scroll right with upper left knob. Likewise to reduce bars, hold shift and scroll left. To increase resolution from say 1/16 notes to 1/64 notes, push down on upper left knob and scroll right to increase resolution and left to decrease resolution. Easy zoom in and out that way. If you have one bar at 1/16 resolution and zoom in to 1/64 note resolution, the number of pages increases by the multiplied amount. Decreasing is the opposite. A good idea when you mess with resolution and start a new track, scroll all the way left to make sure you are at the start of the track.

To increase or decrease velocity on a note, hold the pad with the note and scroll with upper left knob. Turning to the right increases velocity and to the left decreases.

Some other functions of course, including all important copy and paste features. The manual is pretty condensed but has all essential features in it to navigate the horizontal and vertical scrolling effects.

Post edited by Vondragonnoggin on
    edited June 2018

I think if you learn where all the shortcuts are and options with shortcuts, you will be navigating the Deluge fast. Because you can somewhat stay away from menu diving with shortcuts, I think the Deluge is great for not needing as much visual feedback from the small display by using shortcuts. Each shortcut item has a limited amount of options too that can be easily heard. Likewise for sample editing start and stop points. Using your ears is a fast enough method with the Deluge. I like it. Reminds me of my older samplers like the SU700 and Zoom Sampletrak 224.

Welcome to the forum also!

If you buy the Deluge, I’m sure one of us can make a post translating where on the 128 pad grid each shortcut is in relation to left to right and top to bottom for fast tracking you to get the features down. If you want that of course. Sounds like you can get a handle on just about anything if you are already multitracking on Mac and pc. I’m sure in comparison that you will find the Deluge is pretty easy.

@Vondragonnoggin said:
    I think if you learn where all the shortcuts are and options with shortcuts, you will be navigating the Deluge fast. Because you can somewhat stay away from menu diving with shortcuts, I think the Deluge is great for not needing as much visual feedback from the small display by using shortcuts. Each shortcut item has a limited amount of options too that can be easily heard. Likewise for sample editing start and stop points. Using your ears is a fast enough method with the Deluge. I like it. Reminds me of my older samplers like the SU700 and Zoom Sampletrak 224.

If you buy the Deluge, I’m sure one of us can make a post translating where on the 128 pad grid each shortcut is in relation to left to right and top to bottom for fast tracking you to get the features down. If you want that of course. Sounds like you can get a handle on just about anything if you are already multitracking on Mac and pc. I’m sure in comparison that you will find the Deluge is pretty easy.

thanks very much for your help man :) in your previous post when you described adding and removing bars were you talking about changing the length of a track or song? also if 1 track is 4 bars long and I load a new track will the new track also be 4 bars long? what would be really useful is a text based list of all shortcuts with the name of the shortcut on one line and the shortcut on the line below please would you be able to help me with this man? thanks very much!!

@soundwarrior20 said:

@Vondragonnoggin said:

thanks very much for your help man :) in your previous post when you described adding and removing bars were you talking about changing the length of a track or song? also if 1 track is 4 bars long and I load a new track will the new track also be 4 bars long? what would be really useful is a text based list of all shortcuts with the name of the shortcut on one line and the shortcut on the line below please would you be able to help me with this man? thanks very much!!

Sure. I’ll have to do it after I get home from work today, but I’ll make it tonight and post it.

Yes - changing the length of the track or song by shift plus scroll with upper left knob.

I’ll have to check the behavior, but I believe my new track will also have the same resolution, but maybe not length. I’ll check after work.

edited June 2018

I’ll make up the list using Letter/Number grid format for the shortcuts. Where the horizontal rows of pads are numbered 1 - 8 top to bottom, and the vertical rows pads are letters A - P left to right. So a shortcut like resonance would be represented by I2 = resonance, A5 = Sample Pitch/Speed, etc

A1 will be top left pad and P8 is bottom right pad to represent 1-128 pads, etc.

Gotta go to work now, but I’ll post the list tonight.

This will give me a chance to learn the shortcuts better too. I’ve only had the Deluge for a month or so and love the shortcuts but need to get better at them.

@Vondragonnoggin said:
    I’ll make up the list using Letter/Number grid format for the shortcuts. Where the horizontal rows of pads are numbered 1 - 8 top to bottom, and the vertical rows pads are letters A - P left to right. So a shortcut like resonance would be represented by I2 = resonance, A5 = Sample Pitch/Speed, etc

A1 will be top left pad and P8 is bottom right pad to represent 1-128 pads, etc.

Gotta go to work now, but I’ll post the list tonight.

hi man this would be wicked but could you use the format row number pad number for example row 1 pad 1?? with row 1 being the bottom row? thanks :)

Sure. Left bottom to top right

1-1 to 8-16

@Vondragonnoggin said:
    Sure. Left bottom to top right

1-1 to 8-16

cool thanks man also please could you use the words "vertical" and "horizontal" instead of simples the simples confiews my screen reeder thanks again man :) also what do you do for work if you don't mind me asking?

I used the word Sample, not simple. The Deluge is a Sampler. I assume you want to know what each shortcut affects in function, so the word Sample will come up. I just got home from work so give me some time to get my dinner and start working on your list.

Would the word Sample be better in quotes like “Sample”? Are there any other limitations to your reader?

I promise that the list will have numbers as you specified. I will not use the words Vertical or Horizontal in the list as we have already established that you want the horizontal row to start at the bottom with the number 1. Pad 1-1 is the first pad of the grid at bottom left and pad 8-16 is the last pad in the grid at the upper left.

Correct?

@Vondragonnoggin said:
    I used the word Sample, not simple. The Deluge is a Sampler. I assume you want to know what each shortcut affects in function, so the word Sample will come up. I just got home from work so give me some time to get my dinner and start working on your list.

Would the word Sample be better in quotes like “Sample”? Are there any other limitations to your reader?

I promise that the list will have numbers as you specified. I will not use the words Vertical or Horizontal in the list as we have already established that you want the horizontal row to start at the bottom with the number 1. Pad 1-1 is the first pad of the grid at bottom left and pad 8-16 is the last pad in the grid at the upper left.

Correct?

What I mean is please use the words vertical and horizontal when referring to the 2 knobs thanks man :-)

Ok. I’m off to work on your list.

Ok here it is:

Most of the pads in the Deluge’s main 16x8 grid have a shift-button shortcut for the editing of one sound parameter. Holding down the shift button and pressing a given pad while in track view or keyboard view or while already in the sound editor will enter the sound editor for the corresponding parameter. The value of the parameter will be shown on the Deluge’s text display. Turning the select knob edits the value. Pressing the back button exits the sound editor.

If your track is a synth track, you will enter the sound editor for your track’s synth. If your track is a kit track, you will enter the sound editor for the currently selected sound (recall that a sound is selected by pressing its audition (right-most) pad; you will need to select a sound first).

If you try entering a shortcut and receive a “CANT” error message, it means that the parameter is not available due to the setting of some other parameter. For instance, you cannot access any of the “FM MOD” parameters if “SYNTH MODE” is not set to “FM”.

Or, if you receive a “SOON” error message, this means that the parameter you tried to enter in fact does not exist in the current firmware (e.g. “TYPE” in either “FM MOD” column; FM modulators currently may only be sine waves). However it is possible (though not guaranteed) that these parameters may be implemented in future firmware versions.

Sound Editor Shortcut Grid List. Done with number representation where the first number represents the number of the horizontal row from bottom to top 1 - 8, and the second number represents the vertical row from left to right 1 - 16. Some shortcuts have dual functions depending on whether in Kit track or Synth track. If it says “tied to” in the description of the shortcut, it means there is a line connecting the pad to a pad with an actual description. Description example - Attack or Transpose.

Vertical Section Sample 1:
    1-1 = Mode
    2-1 = Reverse
    3-1 = Speed
    4-1 = Pitch/Time

Vertical Section Sample 2:
    1-2, 2-2, 3-2, 4-2 tied to same description as Sample 1 Section Shortcut Pads

Vertical Section Sample 1 Audio:
    5-1 = Record
    6-1 = Browse

Vertical Section Sample 2 Audio:
    5-2, 6-2 tied to same description as Sample 1 Section Audio Shortcut Pads

Vertical Section Sample 1 Zone:
    7-1 = End
    8-1 = Start

Vertical Section Sample 2 Zone:
    7-2, 8-2 tied to same description as Sample 1 Section Zone Shortcut Pads

Vertical Section Osc 1:
    1-3 = Volume
    2-3 = Transpose
    3-3 = Type
    4-3 = PW
    5-3 = Retrig Phase
    6-3 = Feedback
    7-3 = Noise

Vertical Section Osc 2:
    1-4, 2-4, 3-4, 4-4, 5-4, 6-4 tied to same description as Osc 1 Shortcut Pads
    7-4 = Osc Sync

Vertical Section FM Mod 1:
    1-5, 2-5, 3-5, 4-5, 5-5, 6-5 tied to same description as Osc 1 Shortcut Pads
    7-5 = Destination

Vertical Section FM Mod 2:
    1-6, 2-6, 3-6, 4-6, 5-6, 6-6 tied to same description as Osc 1 Shortcut Pads
    7-6 = FM Mod 2 Destination

Vertical Section Master:
    1-7 = tied to Volume
    2-7 = tied to Transpose
    3-7 = Vibrato
    4-7 = Pan
    5-7 = Synth Mode

Vertical Section Distortion:
    6-7 = Decimation
    7-7 = BitCrush
    8-7 = Saturation

Vertical Section Voice:
    1-8 = Portamento
    2-8 = Polyphony
    3-8 = Priority

Vertical Section Unison:
    4-8 = Detune
    5-8 = Number

Vertical Section Envelope 1:
    1-9 = Release
    2-9 = Sustain
    3-9 = Decay
    4-9 = Attack

Vertical Section LPF:
    6-9 = dB/Oct
    7-9 = Resonance
    8-9 = Frequency

Vertical Section Envelope 2:
    1-10 = Release
    2-10 = Sustain
    3-10 = Decay
    4-10 = Attack

Vertical Section HPF:
    6-10 = dB/Oct
    7-10 = Resonance
    8-10 = Frequency

Vertical Section Sidechain:
    1-11 = tied to Release
    2-11 = Sync
    3-11 = Vol/Duck
    4-11 = tied to Attack
    5-11 = Shape
    6-11 = Send

Vertical Section Bass:
    7-11 = Adjust

Vertical Section Arp:
    1-12 = Rate
    2-12 = tied to Sync
    3-12 = Gate
    4-12 = Octaves
    5-12 = Mode

Vertical Section Treble
    7-12 = tied to Adjust

Vertical Section lfo 1:
    1-13 = tied to Rate
    2-13 = tied to Sync
    3-13 = Shape

Vertical Section Mod Fx:
    4-13 = Type
    5-13 = Offset
    6-13 = Feedback
    7-13 = Depth
    8-13 = Rate

Vertical Section lfo 2:
    1-14 = tied to Rate
    2-14 = tied to Sync
    3-14 = tied to Shape

Vertical Section Reverb:
    4-14 = Amount
    5-14 = Pan
    6-14 = Width
    7-14 = Dampening
    8-14 = Room Size

Vertical Section Delay:
    1-15 = tied to Rate
    2-15 = tied to Sync
    3-15 = Analog
    4-15 = tied to Amount
    5-15 = Stereo
    6-15 = lfo 1 tied to Vertical Mod Sources from 1-16
    7-15 = Env 1 tied to Vertical Mod Sources from 1-16

Vertical Section Mod Sources:
    1-16 = Aftertouch
    2-16 = Velocity
    3-16 = Random
    4-16 = Note
    5-16 = Sidechain
    6-16 = lfo 2
    7-16 = Env 2

That’s all.

edited June 2018

The vertical sections refer to how the shortcuts are organized by category as the writing for the category is written vertically on the Deluge.

If you think about it as clusters of shortcuts for sections of functions, this is how it looks on the Deluge

Also use the nested menu section of the manual to cross reference what options you have for each shortcut. The shortcuts are just that - shortcuts to menu items and options for each are nested in the menu category.

thanks for this man would you be able to put the list in a text file please? thanks for all your help :)

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

Nice of you to bring your screeching to this guy’s welcome thread too. True colors

@alien_brain said:
    oh, no, hes a fanboy. no offense to you mate.

please kindly refrain from personally attacking other forum members on this thread you calling some one a fan boy on this thread is not called for and not on topic as well you know.