Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

LFOs?

HolidayHoliday CanadaPosts: 53

How many LFOs are there in the Deluge for modulation of parameters for the synth/samples/outboard gear?

Comments

dest4bdest4b Frankfurt, GermanyPosts: 98

on each Synth part 2 LFOS and on each drum-row also two LFOs. So a Drumkit with 10 slots have 20 LFos ;)

www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

So 2 per instrument cool. So this includes FX modulation as well I assume and LFOs can be triggered on/off a particular step?

SamSam WellingtonModerator, Staff Posts: 160

Hi @Holiday! With the Deluge's workflow, the modulation FX rate technically works like a separate LFO, but you can also route LFO1 to it if you ever want to extend that. You can get the "triggered on/off" effect as a step-recordable feature through learning the depth of the LFO (being routed to a particular feature) to a gold knob - this then lets you step-record changes in LFO depth affecting a parameter.

Does that make sense? It's a tricky one to describe so if you're having trouble with it I can quickly run through the workflow :smile:

bast525bast525 Virginia Beach, VA, USAPosts: 21
    edited June 2018

@Sam said:
    Does that make sense? It's a tricky one to describe so if you're having trouble with it I can quickly run through the workflow :smile:

I vote yes for this :D I've been struggling a bit to fully understand the mod matrix and LFOs. I've had some success modulating sounds with LFOs and envelopes but the menu always seems to go another level deeper then expected and sometimes changes I make have no noticeable affect.

Post edited by bast525 on

Yeah I was curious, like in a song have something like a distortion or delay kick in at a certain point in a modulated rise and fall. So like start modulation at this point with this parameter and end the modulation at another point. Just thinking of possibilities.

SamSam WellingtonModerator, Staff Posts: 160

Hi @Holiday and @bast525! Sorry this has taken me a while to get back to - busy time of year! I thought maybe the clearest way to explain it would be with a simple example and then you can apply the concepts to other areas. We're just going to use the stock #0 preset, hold a C note and halfway through the note, we'll apply LFO modulation to a delay (the delay time) on the sound (which should pretty obvious). I'm going to explain it using the sound editor, but feel free to use the shortcuts if you find them easier. So, step-by-step:

1) Double the length of the track a couple of times using [shift + pressing down the ◄► knob]

2) Go into the sound editor, scroll to "FX", click to enter

3) Scroll this menu til you get to "dELA" and enter this

4) Scroll to "rAtE" and enter this - you should see "25" on the screen.

5) Click down again to enter the modulation menu. Then click again to enter "LFo1". This is the main parameter we'll be changing - you should see a "0" on screen.

6) Learn this to the custom 3 gold knob by pressing the "Custom 2/Custom 3" button, then hold down the "Learn" button while moving the bottom gold knob. You should see "LEAr" flashing on screen. Moving the knob should now change the number on screen.

7) Exit the sound editor by pressing the "Back" button a bunch of times or by pressing any one of the edit pads
    8) Now press the "Delay Time/Amount" button by the gold knobs. Add a bit of delay to our sound by adjusting the bottom gold knob.

9) Press the "Custom 2/Custom 3" knob again and adjust the bottom gold knob so that our LFO is effecting the delayed sound. Pressing the audition pads here, you should be able to hear quite at dramatic change as you move the knob (sound might even cut off if you turn the knob all the way up). Now that we know that's working, set the knob back to 0 for the moment).

10) Enter a C note that lasts half of our track's length.

11) Enter another C note at the start of the second half of our track, but as you enter this one, hold the pad down and move our "custom 3" gold knob up to, say, around halfway. Then release the pad. This has set the 'LFO amount' value to change to about halfway as soon as this note plays. The trick here is that, if we delete the note, we don't delete the automation that we've just set (although we could do this if we wanted by shift pressing the gold knob).

12) Delete the note we just made! And extend the previous note (the one that lasts half the track length) so it lasts the whole track length. Now press play!

13) What you should hear happening is the C note will play as normal for half the track, then for the second half of the track we should hear LFO1 modulating the rate of the synth's delay. Once the track loops around, that LFO modulation should cut out.

Key lesson here: We can modulate the modulation of effects by assigning the "amount" control of something like an LFO (a Mod Source) to a gold knob, where we're free to automate it either per-step or by recording ourselves twisting the knob.

Try it out and experiment and let me know how you get on - hopefully that was comprehensive enough! :smile:

*note: this won't work with a few effects, like saturation, which can't currently be modulated. Usually there are requests on the software suggestions page for this, so if there's something there that you would like to do, feel free to post there or upvote a current post.

bast525bast525 Virginia Beach, VA, USAPosts: 21

Thank you for this, Sam! I'll give these steps a go when I get some time. I really needed this to help wrap my head around how to make more interesting sounds.