Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Folder structure for organizing presets

swisherswisher USPosts: 1

With all the awesome synth presets being made I’d really like a way to be able to organize them. Custom folder names would be ideal so you could organize by type or the sound designers name: BASS, PADS, LEAD, KEYS etc.
Even a set/unchangeable numerical structure would be great though.

Obviously songs and kits could benefit from a folder structure as well but synth presets are the most urgent issue that could use a solution.

Post edited by swisher on

Comments

dr3wnycdr3wnyc NycPosts: 3

def need as more and more presets are showin up from users and I see it gaining momentun. Kits to need folders and songs too

mcpepemcpepe Marbella, SpainBeta Tester Posts: 98
    edited June 2018

Yes. This is a very important feature for a good organization as synth presets and kits are growing more and more.

Post edited by mcpepe on
    cypher79cypher79 UKPosts: 157

+1, having to listen through ALL the synth presets to find the sound you want is just tedious.

fryyyyfryyyy germanyPosts: 161

+1 I'm about to release 100 sample kits and im running out of collision free numbers

syn44syn44 OkcPosts: 7

I don't use presets at all. But would like a file structure for save my own kits and patches.

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

When you start filling up slots it's a pain in the arse to scroll through a few hundred.
    I'd be happy with the song scrolling feature with the <> knob.
    But more folders would be awesome!

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078
    edited June 2018

yeah, would be very useful to have for song, synth and kit.

nice if there was a way to name folders on the machine itself
    http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/13/alphanumeric-kbd#latest

GUI control idea http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/709/allow-custom-folders-in-synth-kit-folder-on-sd-card#latest

Post edited by amiga909 on
    gjvtigjvti Beta Tester Posts: 34

This certainly becomes more and more important as preset list grows, so yes please consider this

FaschingsPrinzFaschingsPrinz ViennaPosts: 21

@fryyyy said:
    +1 I'm about to release 100 sample kits and im running out of collision free numbers

0-999
    deluge could go kind of hexadecimal automatically

add A0-A99, B0-B99, Z0-Z99

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

+1
    If anyone didnt already know, holding shift while turning the data knob allows you to skip the alphabet iterations, but yes, some extra function like a press down and turn to jump by 10s would be helpfull.

Moving synth patches that have already been used in songs will obviously mess the song up, so that's why we urgently need a 'Collect All & Save' function....either that or users would have to mess around editing XML files, or going through all your songs and making notes of any synth patches used....neither of which are desirable workarounds.

Yep @cypher79. What ive been doing is to create a song specific folder in the samples directory where i copy all my samples for the project into and make that the pathway. That way, no matter what happens in the main samples folder, as long as my song specific folders name stays the same, the paths and files should stay preserved.
    Its kind of like creating a project sample pool to work from, and then any new resampling or additions just get copied in and then renavigated and saved to from the deluge.

@minigoat that's a good idea, I will have to do that :)

Although I'm kinda hoping they add a file utility to the 2.0 update, don't think there's much chance though

emptyvesselemptyvessel usaPosts: 30

@minigoat said:
    Yep @cypher79. What ive been doing is to create a song specific folder in the samples directory where i copy all my samples for the project into and make that the pathway. That way, no matter what happens in the main samples folder, as long as my song specific folders name stays the same, the paths and files should stay preserved.
    Its kind of like creating a project sample pool to work from, and then any new resampling or additions just get copied in and then renavigated and saved to from the deluge.

Im hoping to better understand your method here. could you break it down a bit more clearly for a noob? Im trying to clean up some things on my sd card and I dont know what I should and shouldnt do. thanks!

@cypher79 said:
    Moving synth patches that have already been used in songs will obviously mess the song up, so that's why we urgently need a 'Collect All & Save' function....either that or users would have to mess around editing XML files, or going through all your songs and making notes of any synth patches used....neither of which are desirable workarounds.

This is not a job that should be on Deluge I reckon. On Computers you have access to scripting languages and APIs that let you develop "Collect All + Save" function and "Fix missing samples" very easily. No need to waste Deluge ressources and Rohans time for this.

At least for me I dont care until I run out of SD card space. Did upgrade to 32GB and will worry about this later :)
    I started to do some maintenance scripts for Deluge, maybe me or somebody else will come up with a decent solution soon.

@emptyvessel sure. i start a new song, say its in slot 10. then on the sd card, in the samples folder, ill create a new folder called "10". now i start creating the song, and say im using the kick from kit 1. ill find that kick on the card and save it into my 10 folder. then ill make a new kit and open the kick from the 10 folder and make that my kick and save the kit. or say i resample and have that in a kit track. i make sure to copy that sample at some point and put it in 10 and then locate that copy from 10 folder. doing it this way is so when i save the song, every track that has samples is looking into that folder named 10 and no where else. same with synths that use samples. i copy the source sample into 10, browse into 10 and then save the song. (ill also for good measure save the synth/kit xml files and put it in the 10 folder too.)
    i can also just grab a handful of samples i think will fit the type of song im making, toss them all in the 10 folder and then browse it as im creating, treating it like a sample pool. thats a little less hassle than backtracking.
    i treat all iterations of 10, ie 10a, 10b, ect the same way. so now no mater what card its on, as long as i have the song file "10' plus that sample folder named "10" in the samples directory, it will be ready to go.

im basically manually doing what a 'collect all and save' feature would do.
    hope that helps.

emptyvesselemptyvessel usaPosts: 30

@minigoat said:
    @emptyvessel sure. i start a new song, say its in slot 10. then on the sd card, in the samples folder, ill create a new folder called "10". now i start creating the song, and say im using the kick from kit 1. ill find that kick on the card and save it into my 10 folder. then ill make a new kit and open the kick from the 10 folder and make that my kick and save the kit. or say i resample and have that in a kit track. i make sure to copy that sample at some point and put it in 10 and then locate that copy from 10 folder. doing it this way is so when i save the song, every track that has samples is looking into that folder named 10 and no where else. same with synths that use samples. i copy the source sample into 10, browse into 10 and then save the song. (ill also for good measure save the synth/kit xml files and put it in the 10 folder too.)
    i can also just grab a handful of samples i think will fit the type of song im making, toss them all in the 10 folder and then browse it as im creating, treating it like a sample pool. thats a little less hassle than backtracking.
    i treat all iterations of 10, ie 10a, 10b, ect the same way. so now no mater what card its on, as long as i have the song file "10' plus that sample folder named "10" in the samples directory, it will be ready to go.

im basically manually doing what a 'collect all and save' feature would do.
    hope that helps.

That helps tremendously, thanks! So just a couple of questions. Im still confused about creating custom folders. I hear you saying to just make a folder titled 10, but then this request page we're on is to be able to create custom named folders... Ive still been afraid to try it. I dont want to make a bunch of song files suddenly unaccessible/lost. Can I just make folders? Also, when you make new iterations (10a, 10b, etc) do you need a new folder for those? Im guessing not. The 10 label is enough just to know where theyre all at...?

edited June 2018

@emptyvessel this thread is for the synth and kit patches, for having their own type / taging system, for browsing i assume. Im mainly refering to the sample files. As it is now, on the sd card all song files must be in the song folder named 'songs' with no added folders inside it. Just .xml files. Same with the synth folder and its synth files and kit. You only have sub folders in your samples folder, which is to stay named 'samples'. Inside that folder you can add and name the folders anything you like. But just be aware that once youve made anything in any song youve created using those samples, the saved song file will be looking for those samples expecting them to be in their original folders. So if you change any folder names that have samples youve used, the deluge wont know where to find them and you will see the screen read "file" for missing file.
    But yea, you can add and reorder and rename or add or delete the sample folder content around, just be sure your current work with any samples gets updated by finding the new location and then saved.
    And its good to get in the habit of making sd card backups just to be safe.
    Also ill add in a backup copy of any synth files and kit files used in 10 and just save them in the 10 folder too.
    Not really a solution to the threads request though, so i may be off topic now. Hope that helps tho some.

Post edited by minigoat on
    darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

We have 128 grid buttons, and 16 additional buttons, it would be great to be able to have 16 banks of 128 sounds, so for example bank 1 is bass, bank 2 lead, bank 3 pads, etc.

To expand the idea further, on the card we could have named sets of these collections, so when loading a sound hit load to select the collection, then hit the category (1-16) then hit the patch (1-128) or alternatively scroll the encoder to select.

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

Of course the next logical idea would be to have these sounds addressable on a per step basis - but that is probably outside the scope of this topic.

@darenager +1
    would love to make the matrix a bank/pattern file tree. One full matrix page scrollable each for kits, synths, samples ect, all user favorited by color. So many possibilites available really, with a color coded grid that size.

ELEVENELEVEN Zagreb, CroatiaPosts: 60

+11

fenixsongfenixsong United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 45

sounds like this still is needed? (just got Deluge about 3 weeks ago)
    related... if you open up the SD card on your computer, go into the synth folder, can you rename synth XMLs so they would display your (hopefully abbreviated) synth patch name??? i.e. bs01, ld01, pad1, etc.
    would those be sorted alpha numerically ?

RobbymustRobbymust Kaitaia, New ZealandPosts: 25

This is not a job that should be on Deluge I reckon. On Computers you have access to scripting languages and APIs that let you develop "Collect All + Save" function and "Fix missing samples" very easily. No need to waste Deluge ressources and Rohans time for this.

At least for me I dont care until I run out of SD card space. Did upgrade to 32GB and will worry about this later :)
    I started to do some maintenance scripts for Deluge, maybe me or somebody else will come up with a decent solution soon.

I don't agree, as for us less intelligent users, having a file system that can be easy to use and will give us easy access to samples , presets, kits, synths would be an essential part of the Deluge journey.
    I have been using my Deluge for nearly a month now and still cannot figure out how to load a sample, I thought maybe the SD card is upside down, was it corrupt so reinstalled the basic contents copied in Fryyy's samples etc plus heaps of my own and still no access to samples which is one of the main reasons why I bought the Deluge in the first place,
    I have watched all of Ron Cavagnaro's videos which show the process of loading samples but no does not work for me.
    So an undated filing system that can be understood by a IDIOT like me would be great!!!!_The only way I have been able to access a sample is to put in in the record file and name it REC 00-- and then using shift + kit - record I can then access the file.
    Regards Rob

@Robbymust what exactly are u trying to do? load a sample in a kit or synth track? my post was just about a collect all and save function being not my top priority. it is a cool function and i ll use it for sure but the drawback of that strategy will be loads of duplicate samples.
    however this thread is about allowing subfolders in the kit and synth folders. still one of my top priority wishes. and a great christmas gift. if u hear me Rohan, surely u havent got anything else to do 😉

@amiga909 said:
    @Robbymust what exactly are u trying to do? load a sample in a kit or synth track? my post was just about a collect all and save function being not my top priority. it is a cool function and i ll use it for sure but the drawback of that strategy will be loads of duplicate samples.
    however this thread is about allowing subfolders in the kit and synth folders. still one of my top priority wishes. and a great christmas gift. if u hear me Rohan, surely u havent got anything else to do 😉

I'm guessing that the 'collect all & save' needs to be added before synth/kit subfolders, as projects will just get messed up if patches that have already been used are being moved around.

@cypher79 said:
    I'm guessing that the 'collect all & save' needs to be added before synth/kit subfolders, as projects will just get messed up if patches that have already been used are being moved around.

To avoid that I'd just leave the current preset files where they are, and allow to mix directories with xml files. that is on the root in SONG, KIT and SYNTH folders level only, i dont think nested folders are necessary.

fryyyyfryyyy germanyPosts: 161

With all this multisample goodness i'm running out of synth space fast. I'm approaching 600 synths and keeping an overview is getting harder and harder...

krunchrkrunchr Mainz, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 70

Why did I see this awesome suggestion so late?

+1

highstandardshighstandards CHPosts: 56

I would actually prefer it if the Deluge supported tags instead of folders. You quickly run into management issues when you can only put a preset into a single folder.

https://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/2174/browse-instruments-using-tags-3-0-feature

This discussion has been closed.