β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Best way to use the batteries? When to charge?

mcpepemcpepe Marbella, SpainBeta Tester Posts: 98

I have just received my Deluge, and only a few minutes of use the led of the baterries is red, so I am going to charge it and I am thinking...

1.-What's the best way to use the batteries? It's best to try to fully discharge it before charging it again? It's better to make small charges?

2.-It's better to use a DC charger or a USB charger?

3.-How many time does your Deluge last to fully charge?

Comments

cypher79cypher79 UKPosts: 157
    edited June 2018

I usually put my Deluge on charge by usb shortly after the red light comes on...it can take a long time to charge though, anywhere between 5-8 hours until the light turns from yellow to green.

I usually just leave it to charge overnight, and it's fully charged by the morning.

Post edited by cypher79 on
    pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 165

Can the Deluge be used with a 9v adapter always plugged in drawing mains power? Or is it wiser or better for the battery to charge the unit then use it on battery power?

Mine was charged for the first time today via USB. It was 8 hours to get fully charged.

beakerbeaker AdelaideBeta Tester Posts: 44

Hi. The LiON cell inside will tolerate quite a bit of to and fro-ing. It's also super easy to replace (much easier than any current smartphone that uses the same tech).

We're a long time past the fiddly-ness of Nicads !!

So just use it the way that best suits your workflow and don't worry too much about cycles etc.

SamSam WellingtonModerator, Staff Posts: 160

Hi @mcpepe! As mentioned, the Deluge uses a LiON battery. There's a little bit of debate around the best way to charge these batteries - some people argue that it's best to not charge them to full, while other's think differently. I would suggest doing a bit of research on the batteries if you're particularly invested in this. Otherwise, either way you charge it, your battery should last for a long time (and if it doesn't it should be cheap to replace). In regards to wall-wart vs. USB charging, any difference is negligible and neither way is 'better' than the other :smile:

Oh, and @pfrf : The Deluge will shut off charging the battery once it's full, so it's fine to keep it plugged in as long as you're happy to charge your battery to full (see above).

pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 165

Thank you all for the replies!

@beaker said:
    So just use it the way that best suits your workflow and don't worry too much about cycles etc.

Thanks! This is what I will do

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Fabi_OhmyamFabi_Ohmyam ItalyPosts: 29
    edited February 2021

@cypher79 said:
    I usually put my Deluge on charge by usb shortly after the red light comes on...it can take a long time to charge though, anywhere between 5-8 hours until the light turns from yellow to green.

I usually just leave it to charge overnight, and it's fully charged by the morning.

Hello .
    so is it true deluge charges more slow though the usb of Computer/Mac ?

Post edited by Fabi_Ohmyam on
    volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

@Fabi_Ohmyam said:

@cypher79 said:

Hello .

Never tried, but my phone charges much slower trough computer usb...

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

Fabi_OhmyamFabi_Ohmyam ItalyPosts: 29
    edited February 2021

@volsteh said:

@Fabi_Ohmyam said:

@cypher79 said:

Hello .

Never tried, but my phone charges much slower trough computer usb...

I think Jan Iorgensen was right when telling the cable that comes from Synthstrom works better for Deluge and I don't know right. After trying their cab it just completed charging fully. wth strange . Connected to PC did worked better than the other surely

Post edited by Fabi_Ohmyam on
    rainforestrainforest New ZealandPosts: 2

It seems to be coming widely accepted that fully charging a Lithium-ion battery and leaving it in that 100% state for a period of time leads to quicker degradation than otherwise.

Nissan Leafs and Apple devices now offer a feature to 80% charge to extend total battery life. Apple do it automatically if the feature is turned on, detecting your regular work/sleep/charge patterns so that it only charges to 100% just before you unplug it.

A company that services Nissan Leafs here in Auckland told me the same thing based on their experience; that batteries that seem to have been charged to 100% in Japan for most of their life but not driven often, then imported to NZ have less capacity than those that have been driven lots, even if they are fast charged a lot.

So if your Deluge is going to sit turned off for a time, say a day, days, or weeks, after it's 100% charged I'd leave it on for an hour to bring the charge down to around 80% before turning it off.

PercivalePercivale SingaporeBeta Tester Posts: 32

Not sure if this applies, for Lithium Polymer batteries, I keep charge at 75% for long-term storage.

rainforestrainforest New ZealandPosts: 2

I've run a test on my Deluge yesterday as I wondered when the red warning light would come on.

With factory supplied battery over 6 hours playing a simple sequence continuously before red light.

Red light came on with over an hour still to go. My estimate feels it's around 20% battery remaining when red light comes on. Which for my unit meant at 1+ hour remaining for a healthy battery.

When battery got really low the red light started flashing, which isn't in the current manual that I can see.

During this critical time the Deluge restarted and lost the sequence, so if you are ever performing and the red light starts flashing you better plug in fast or wrap it up quick.

DISCLAIMER: there's likely to be a battery life penalty for some complicated sequences and effects which use more processing power and I don't know what they are at this moment.

staubistaubi Erlangen/GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 62

Thanks. That's very helpful for playing live!

Brass side of life: JTK