Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Printed text on Deluge coming off?

shardmshardm Los AngelesPosts: 1

The text on my Deluge is starting to come off. I've had it for less than a month and it hasn't left my house. As you can see in the pic, the midi In is completely gone and the CV 2 and the graphic by the Deluge logo is starting to go as well. The text by the "Play" button is coming off in the same way. Is anybody else having this problem?

Comments

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

My printing came with a fair amount of worn patches, I'm guessing due to the stencil being pealed off badly.
    I'm really not concerned about it though.
    Coming from the guitar world... some of my pedals paint work is unreadable.
    But I like that look. :smiley:

krunchrkrunchr Mainz, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 70

My brandnew Deluge has no real hardware issues so far. But I'm not really happy with the finish of the faceplate. There are two weldings spots visible and the thin white lines are interrupted in some areas. First world problem, I know -- but for a device in this price class I would expect a better workmanship.

SkullHQXSkullHQX NetherlandsPosts: 3

The Deluge's lettering seems to be silk screened, which is a very common and economically sound method. The problem with printing ink is they are not always up to the task. Some people just have very 'abrasive' skin oils (for lack of a better word, sorry but English isn't my native language) which can even vary composition due to hormonal fluctuations (more so for woman - for obvious reasons). Those skin oils gradually dissolve the ink. Friction while handling the device does the rest. Most people won't see this happening at all or at a very long time span.

Regarding putting some sort of transparant coating on top as suggested. I wouldn't do that as many transparant coatings yellow over time. Besides that, some coatings can react to the ink and coating underneath. And those coatings can also be worn down by the aforementioned 'skin oil' issue. Wear under usage is 'normal' I'd say.

While I can imagine people expect perfect machining and materials we also have to recognize the fact this wonderful device isn't made in large quantities by a very large company. The tooling and materials used are probably the best they can be for a company the size of Synthstrom, especially when taking the price into account as well. Could it be better? Of course, but it would have been more expensive to make. Expecting otherwise is just unrealistic.

pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 165

Over years of buying/owning gear, boutique pieces as well as new and old instruments, I have never seen the text disappear from a surface like that, especially not after using it for less than a month, as shardm explained. Another poster received a new Deluge already worn. It seems like a small problem, but no harm reporting it so Synthstrom can deal with this QC issue with their manufacturers.

I’m still cautious about purchasing, I’d like to see Synthstrom’s response.

p_watsp_wats TorontoPosts: 111

Got mine 3 days ago and the "shift" label is already showing wear after only a few hours of total use (I don't think it was like that on arrival). I posted about it on Facebook and it seems that most of the people with a unit from the original run are fine, so maybe something has changed in the inks/screening with the later batches?

You could be right, it might be a problem with a recent batch.
    I hope Synthstrom are checking into this. I’d like to get a version with print that sticks.

What kind of clear spray would you use?

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
    edited September 2021

This appears to be an issue with some of the units sold. Get in touch with us: ian@synthstrom.com if this may apply to you.

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on

Thank you for replying, Ian. Since you’re aware, addressing the issue, and working with the people who have disappearing text, I feel pretty confident. Thanks.

I have heard of plastidip. I thought it was a rubber product of some sort. Automotive clear coat is an idea. I’ll google it.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    edited June 2018
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Thanks. I hope I get a good Deluge and I don’t have to coat anything.

RandomAztecRandomAztec IrelandPosts: 108

Just to say I'm one of the customers to have this issue and Ian has been in contact with me and is working to get this sorted. Customer service like this is very hard to come by. Guys with a personal stake in the company talking directly to the users is rare now adays. Usually you get employees with a script who's job it is is to keep you from the people who can make descions or can help you . With Ian he will make the effort to contact you as evidenced above.
    My experience with fixes and the updates means I can easily say with no caveats ..hands down best customer service ever.

@RandomAztec said:
    Just to say I'm one of the customers to have this issue and Ian has been in contact with me and is working to get this sorted. Customer service like this is very hard to come by. Guys with a personal stake in the company talking directly to the users is rare now adays. Usually you get employees with a script who's job it is is to keep you from the people who can make descions or can help you . With Ian he will make the effort to contact you as evidenced above.
    My experience with fixes and the updates means I can easily say with no caveats ..hands down best customer service ever.

Agreed. I was initially put off by the issue when the labels on my brand new Deluge starting rubbing off right away (none of my other gear has done this). However, after talking to Ian I don't doubt that things will be made right.

bast525bast525 Virginia Beach, VA, USAPosts: 21

I'm having this issue as well. I received my Deluge about a week ago and the print across the top is half worn off on the midi and CV labels. I don't really touch that area that I'm aware of but I can say for certain it was not like that when first received.

hmmmmm
    I just keep thinking I should wait to order a Deluge until after this issue gets solved. I can buy my own sd card and batteries, but I can’t reprint the text. I really wish there was a reasonable explanation forthcoming, I’m not convinced by the acidic fingers theory. Until someone from Synthstrom addresses this here, or I read online that new purchasers are not having this issue, I think I’ll back off. I hate how much money I’ve already spent on sequencers I wasn’t happy with. I need to be more careful this time.

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199

They should probably make an announcement and sticky it for how they will deal with the occsional customer that might experience this. I bought mine a month ago and use it every day and printed text is fine, so not happening to everyone. I’m sure if there was some transparency in how thy accommodate customers, it would keep some confidence in the product.

It really is a great sequencer/sampler/synth and updates based on customer requests are as cool as Novations Circuit and Circuit Mono customer requests getting done.

Someone posted above that Synthstrom is being very helpful, “working to get this sorted”. I just wonder what that involves?

bast525bast525 Virginia Beach, VA, USAPosts: 21

Make no mistake, I LOVE my Deluge. I do not regret my purchase at all. Oddly, I am seeing NO issues with any of the printing on the areas I do touch all the time, on any of the buttons, just the printing along the top. Overall this is a really awesome product, it packs so much into such a small form factor. I'm coming from the Circuit, and would argue that anyone who loves that box would love this one even more.

rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

Anyone with issues with the Deluge's printed text and graphics is welcome to get in touch with us directly and we'll take care of you! rohan@synthstrom.com

This Red Means Recording video has been doing well the last few weeks and someone in the comments pointed out that his labels have started to come off too: