Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

New song section mode - more than one pattern per song using the same tracks

SissyfusSissyfus NorwayBeta Tester Posts: 3

The problem with song section mode as it is now, is that you have to duplicate tracks to make new sections. This means that if you do a complex arrangement with many tracks and sections, the number of tracks easily grow astronomical.

What would have been really nice was if you could make more than one pattern per song, and re-use the existing tracks for all patterns. This calls for another "new" song section mode. I believe the colour codes of the song sections could still be used for this, if there was a third "arrangement" view where patterns could be arranged. This would allow for a much better workflow with big arrangements with many tracks or sections, and I believe it would improve the sequencer part quite a lot making the Deluge more usable to more people, especially those who uses it to sequence other equipment!

Post edited by Sissyfus on

Comments

SavageGordonSavageGordon Boston, USAPosts: 12

What you're talking about is basically clips in Ableton Live, right? Circuit does this well.

rpc9943rpc9943 New York usaBeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 184

maybe Shift + Song ??? :)

SissyfusSissyfus NorwayBeta Tester Posts: 3

@SavageGordon Clip mode in Ableton would not be a bad model for what I describe. But I guess most digital sequencers and drum machines have the possibility to have more than one pattern.

I plan to use the Deluge to compose for a theater piece, and hence it would be nice to switch between "scenes", also without having to load new ones. I guess this would be needed in all kinds of music except maybe minimalism and minimal techno :-)

workergrayworkergray Gulfport, FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 222
    edited June 2017

using the note-entry pad, each pad could represent a pattern/section with the option to have parts muted/unmuted. another option for the input pad would be a "control" in which a pad would represent volume, BPM, repeats or some such control change. This could be used in a way as to change over time (64th note all the way up to a few measures, perhaps)

Post edited by workergray on
    tangramtangram Oslo, NorwayBeta Tester Posts: 27
    edited June 2017

I fully support a macro-level arrangement view of some sort. In nearly every sketch I've had so far with multiple sections, I've had to duplicate tracks that are the same across sections. Also, with many tracks, the song view can get messy.

Now, there is already a feature where you can set a section to SHARed mode (hold section pad, turn select anticlockwise). Arming a shared section will not cut off a section that is playing (or armed to play), unless it shares a preset or kit (then only the relevant track is cut off). This allows you to avoid duplicate tracks, but it also requires more interaction, because arming a new section will cut off a shared section, and you have to re-arm the shared one if you want it to continue playing. And if that section is the first of many, you have to scroll up and down to re-arm it as you progress in the arrangement.

As a solution that may or may not cover OPs needs, I'd like to propose more section modes. A "HARD share" or "MANUal" section mode, where arming a new section will not cut off the shared ones (you'd have to stop them explicitly) would do wonders!

If this is too off-topic, I can make a separate feature request. An arrangement view would be nice in any case.

Post edited by tangram on
    WendelWendel AmsterdamPosts: 5

@tangram said:
    I fully support a macro-level arrangement view of some sort. In nearly every sketch I've had so far with multiple sections, I've had to duplicate tracks that are the same across sections. Also, with many tracks, the song view can get messy.

Now, there is already a feature where you can set a section to SHARed mode (hold section pad, turn select anticlockwise). Arming a shared section will not cut off a section that is playing (or armed to play), unless it shares a preset or kit (then only the relevant track is cut off). This allows you to avoid duplicate tracks, but it also requires more interaction, because arming a new section will cut off a shared section, and you have to re-arm the shared one if you want it to continue playing. And if that section is the first of many, you have to scroll up and down to re-arm it as you progress in the arrangement.

As a solution that may or may not cover OPs needs, I'd like to propose more section modes. A "HARD share" or "MANUal" section mode, where arming a new section will not cut off the shared ones (you'd have to stop them explicitly) would do wonders!

If this is too off-topic, I can make a separate feature request. An arrangement view would be nice in any case.

I was also thinking of this...

Also, I posted a software request to make it easier to load songs, like launching. This will help with arrangements.