Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Loop Screen / Cycle Region

Comments

LouisWu13LouisWu13 Hamburg - GermanyPosts: 12

+1

n00bn00b SpacePosts: 28

+1

'Bad sound kills good music!'

AudioroticAudiorotic SeattlePosts: 21

+1

PhilPhil MontréalBeta Tester Posts: 105

+1

llexamllexam USABeta Tester Posts: 73

+1 million.

FrankenlegFrankenleg Rio Rancho, NM, USAPosts: 3

+1

msweeneymsweeney Minnesota USAPosts: 7

+1 for sure I was looking for this today actually.

muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128

More thoughts on this after playing with the new song arranger mode - I couldn't stop thinking about how awesome it would be to do loop/cycle region from the arranger view.

• Have a new type of track in the arranger view, a 'cycle track'
    • Users can create as many of these tracks as they want
    • Enter regions on a 'cycle track' just as you'd enter notes on a normal track
    • Regions are coloured automatically so you don't get two adjacent regions of the same colour (user can probably override this)
    • Shift click on a region and it goes white (active). Only one region may be active at one time.
    • When a region is active 'play' always starts from the start of that region and the arranger loops within that region
    • If the active region is changed whilst playing, playback jumps when the playhead reaches the end of the current region

Something akin to the above would both be really, really helpful in terms of arranging songs but also really useful for performance as it would allow the user to set up 'scenes' with different mute states etc and jump between them, similar to how switching between song sections works now, but much more flexible and with no limit to the amount of sections.

It also means you could set up one section of the arranger for a 'scratch pad' of ideas and have another for the 'finished' song, that type of thing. It would actually be miles more flexible than the way cycling works in many DAWs!

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

I posted a quick mock-up of how the setting a cycle region might work in the new arranger here.

EarthCryEarthCry Asheville NCPosts: 15

After playing my first real big live gig with the deluge. A loop/cycle region for arrangement view seems essential! As someone who is fiddling with a modular and outboard synths, I'd love to just know what a certain part was going to repeat until I tell it to change. It's too hard to memorize every single part in song mode even if I color code them and place them in the same order.

Haha - I was thinking about bumping this FR but you've done it for me - thanks! This is still my #1 'wish' by a large margin.

Maybe we'll get this in 2.1, we're getting editable loop points for samples - here's hoping for editable loop/cycle regions in the arranger too! :)

AudioGrifterAudioGrifter Australia Posts: 1

+1 +1 , Totes for a loop region within the visible working area !

Another reason this is needed is that there is current no way to start from a point mid-way through an arrangement if slaved to another device.

You can do it manually by holding down <> and pressing PLAY but there is no way to do it slaved (to a DAW for example) which can make recording event slightly complex arrangements a real pain. I almost lost the will to live trying to do this the other day ;)

If you could set a cycle region PLAY whilst slaved could start from the beginning of the region as it does in Logic and other DAWs.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

good point muleskinner. support for midi timecode (mtc) would be an alternative.
    easily still one of my top suggestions. Cycle was the first i was looking for when trying out the arranger.

JabokJabok AustriaBeta Tester Posts: 5

Yes please! Never saw this on any Hardware. Always missed it.

mrrafsmrrafs ukPosts: 63

+1

MakaiMakai United StatesPosts: 10

+1

pbolgerpbolger ChristchurchPosts: 61
    edited December 2018

+1 for loop visible. I think that really fits the Deluge interface logic. Loop visible with solo would be nice too.

@Horstmaista said:
    One more thing this mode could add is that you could transpose each bar as a whole.

Or transpose visible. Meaning you could slip or zoom the track to get the bit you want. What might be nice would be a temporary indicator - a slightly dimmed row or something - to show the original first step.

Post edited by pbolger on
    71777177 (:Posts: 38

+1

still one of my top tops. loop region please.
    composing in arranger would be much more joyful if i wouldnt be punished to hit the stop and start buttons all the time.

blogic12blogic12 United StatesPosts: 5

Check out how sectional looping is handled here. Something similar would be perfect for deluge.

@blogic12 said:
    Check out how sectional looping is handled here. Something similar would be perfect for deluge.

Yes, that looks very cool and something like that would be a great addition.

Long-term though I'd prefer something that allowed you to set permanent cycle regions (e.g. verse, chorus etc), so you didn't have to keep resetting loop points and could jump between different regions whilst keeping in sync with the beat (might like you can switch between 'sections' now).

EarthCryEarthCry Asheville NCPosts: 15

I love my deluge! But I gotta say this is the single most frustrating thing about creating music on the deluge. Having to wait for the next time around when editing is hard when you have a musical idea exploding out of your head and it gets lost. Please consider this!

FYI, there is a workaround for cycle, tried it at the superbooth event and it worked quite well.
    if you want to loop what arranger currently plays, hit SONG. then you are in SONG view with dimmed lights. hit a LAUNCH/MUTE pad and SONG view becomes active and the arranger part is looped. then, hit SONG and return to arranger. using the continue-play command (up/down push + play) arranger continues synced at that position.
    this works for a performance but of course when composing in arranger a "cycle region" as described would be immensely useful.

@amiga909 said:
    FYI, there is a workaround for cycle, tried it at the superbooth event and it worked quite well.
    if you want to loop what arranger currently plays, hit SONG. then you are in SONG view with dimmed lights. hit a LAUNCH/MUTE pad and SONG view becomes active and the arranger part is looped.

Yeah, I use this. It's a useful stopgap but you're looping the regions that are currently playing which isn't the same thing as looping a section of the arranger (if a track is really long it'll play the whole track before looping and if you have two different tracks on the same lane it'll only play the one that was looping when you entered song view).

@muleskinner said:

Yeah, I use this. It's a useful stopgap but you're looping the regions that are currently playing which isn't the same thing as looping a section of the arranger (if a track is really long it'll play the whole track before looping and if you have two different tracks on the same lane it'll only play the one that was looping when you entered song view).

a dedicated cycle feature would be killer. another ux idea could be to loop instead of one shot when entering track view from arranger (press “tail” of a clip).

about the workaround:
    not sure if i got ur case but yeah if u want to repeat 4 bars of arrangement and there is a 8 bar clip, that clip is not cut and plays 8 bars when back in song view. didnt mind this limitation much actually. but as u say it is not the same. another thing, white instances continue to play when back in song mode but they are invisible.

@blogic12 said:

very nice implemented cycle. ah the Misa.. still would love to have a 32, never seen it, seems to be out of production for a while, anybody has one?

ChandrojiChandroji Berlin / GermanyPosts: 9

@blogic12 said:

A loop feature like this would be fantastic! 👍
    Hopefully we will see something similar on the Deluge...

🙏

SnutoSnuto GermanyPosts: 4

+1

oltecoltec GermanyPosts: 4

+1 +1+1