Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

controller setup - how to integrate drumming into the system?

flipflip CaliforniaPosts: 6

Hi,
I expect to receive me Deluge this coming week. Woohoo! In the meantime, I have been reading up on a number of things to finally integrate my setup in a computer-free manner.

What I have: Synths and drum machine, each hardware using 5pin midi.
What I expect to be missing: some way to tap out the drum pattern such that it will register in the Deluge.

I see that you can 'record' to capture internal synth actions in the Deluge. I'm looking to find a way to do the same with drums. ATM, I am under the impression this is not a feature. So, I wonder if I can connect something like a Korg PadKontrol to midi-in and somehow log the midi events with 'record'.

I'm still sorting this out, but I'm sure others with more experience have had the idea. I'd like to benefit from your experience.

Phil

Comments

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

Sure. You would just learn your pads to the kit track parts, if it was for using internal drum samples, or you would midi thru your pads via midi in and out, into your drum machines. You would just need to set the right midi channels up to listen to eachother if the midi thru route was what your going for.

And my rhythms with velocity, etc will record into the sequence just like that? Cool! Thanks!

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

Yep. Itll make more sense once you get into trying it. Dont be afraid to try different set-ups and ways of working with it. Thats half the fun in my opinion.

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199

PadKontrol is very programmable and you should be able to set up several scenes to fit different ways of working too if you wanted. Maybe in the case of particular control handy on the X/Y pad for one song or track vs another.

Turns out that with the quantize off I am relatively content with what the Deluge has. Don't think I'll need to complicate things further.