Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

External Midi Controller Options

egiptationsegiptations LisbonPosts: 5
edited May 2018 in General Discussion

Hey guys!

After a couple of months I finally bought the Deluge and it's great, having a lot of fun the last couple of days!

Now I'm looking into a midi controller, because I would like both things: a keyboard to play, and some faders/knobs to control parameters. What do you recommend?

Could I use separate devices, like a LaunchControl XL and a normal midi keyboard?
Or would it be better to buy something like the KeyLab essential 61 that has both in the same device? I know that I would have less knobs like this, but are those fully programmable?

Thanks for your opinion!

Post edited by egiptations on

Comments

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    AbortRetryFailAbortRetryFail FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 61

Some controllers have a built-in merge. If that's the case, you can daisy-chain them. My old Encore Knobby does this. Works great.

Thanks for your replies! Looking into an option like the KeyLab I run into another question:

In the KeyLab you can have 6 "user templates" saved in the Midi controller, to change what each knob or slider does. Can I use this with the Deluge?

Because the way to set the templates is through Arturia MIDI Control Center on the computer, giving different CC values to each of the knobs/sliders in each template.

But as I understood (maybe I'm totally wrong, in that case sorry!) the Deluge does not have defined CC values for each function, the way to set is with the learn button.

So, I don't know if the Deluge is going to recognize that the KeyLab is in another template, or if the same knobs/slider is always going to be the same for the Deluge.

Do you understand what I mean?

Mystic38Mystic38 Posts: 21

If you appreciate a quality keybed, look no further that the Novation Remote SLII series..

https://global.novationmusic.com/keys/sl-mkii#

store onboard midi templates, (which i do) or use with computer automap software.. it has a beautiful fata keybed, knobs, buttons, pads, sliders, encoders, mid/usb, midi/din 1&2, transport controls and ability to send clock, nrpn, realtime in addition to cc.. simply an outstanding specification.. and lots around on Ebay...

have it, love it.

chvadchvad Brooklyn, NYBeta Tester Posts: 39

"Could I use separate devices, like a LaunchControl XL and a normal midi keyboard?"

I use a Kenton USB Host with a small passive USB hub. with that I have connected a Novation Launch Control XL and a McMillen K-Board. I created templates for each making sure not to have any similar midi channels and they both work great together as controllers. Additionally, the MIDI out of my Kenton goes into a passive MIDI Merge (old Anatek) and I also have additional MIDI info being pumped in from there from my partners computer. Clock, sequences etc. All of it works great together. Just mind your channel assignments on the devices sending and your cool.

www.controlledbleeding.com | www.chvad.com

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

BTW, having a "defoult midi input channel" is super useful. That's an option for the Digitakt and the Squarp Pyramid, and allows you to use an external controller on any/all tracks easily and painlessly.

If the Deluge had an option for an active-track midi channel (different from the global channel where you can control the Deluge itself ), and by default, that channel is ALWAYS routed the to the current active track.

This makes it really easy to have a keyboard and/or velocity sensitive drum pads always available on any track you'd want to edit, without having to constantly learn/un-learn midi settings.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Infinite midi learns on 2.0 :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

RandomAztecRandomAztec IrelandPosts: 108

@Icoustik said:
    Infinite midi learns on 2.0 :)

That's a welcome relief 😥
    . I just got my hands on a notation sl mk11... so many assignable knobs but not enough midi learns to assign them too 😣..looking forward to be able to set up two asdr fader banks to really be able to play with amp and filter correctly and a bunch of other mod items.

RandomAztecRandomAztec IrelandPosts: 108

Sl mk11 also has aftertouch which is new to me

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292
    edited March 2020

@o0_ said:
    BTW, having a "defoult midi input channel" is super useful. That's an option for the Digitakt and the Squarp Pyramid, and allows you to use an external controller on any/all tracks easily and painlessly.

If the Deluge had an option for an active-track midi channel (different from the global channel where you can control the Deluge itself ), and by default, that channel is ALWAYS routed the to the current active track.

This makes it really easy to have a keyboard and/or velocity sensitive drum pads always available on any track you'd want to edit, without having to constantly learn/un-learn midi settings.

This would be great: I want to be able to play from a Masterkeyboard/External Synth (MIDI IN CH1) to all my other Synth (MIDI IN CH2,3,4,5), record that stuff into the Deluge and play it back on my Synths (MIDI OUT CH1-5),
    DAWless DAW o:)

Post edited by Eddy on