Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Multiple audio track outputs via USB

It would be amazing for mixdowns if the audio from Deluge internal tracks could be easily routed to their own respective tracks in a DAW.

Comments

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

Yeah, my first thought was 'overbridge' with elektron and how it seems a boondoggle.
    Id guess the hardware would need to be built with that feature specifically in mind, and its not just something you could code?

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078
    edited May 2018

dont know if you need special hardware. Elektron has a usb type b connector like Deluge. typical for usb non-host devices. hard to guess how much work for deluge os.

not hard to guess is the huge amount of initial and ongoing work for developing and maintaining pc software. mac and pc drivers, keep up with os updates, daw integration, .. hardly a weekend job. Elektron has over 100 employees..
    Give Synthstrom a break.

Post edited by amiga909 on
    muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128

The main reason I haven't bought an analogue heat is because of Overbridge. Why pay for sub-par DACs I have no use for?

I've a feeling this can't be done anyway because there's only two channels of DAC in the Deluge hardware, I may well have got that wrong though!

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Deluge_loverDeluge_lover Beta Tester Posts: 8

So this is getting down voted because it might be too hard? Or are people really opposed to multi outs?

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Maybe @rohan could just clarify whether or not it would even be feasible at all ? :)

Not a priority for me personally, but good to know for those who would want it so not too much energy is wasted on speculation

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

Im neutral to the wish. Multi outs would be cool sure, but id rather keep development in the deluge itself. As @amiga909 implied, to make the deluge into what would be in effect an external soundcard, would open a gate of compatibility gremlins id personally rather not see the the devs have to chase down.
    But yeah, if its something they can bust out, go for it. Roland, Korg, Novation, Elektron, Ableton, ect, for each of their products, nine times out of ten, any glitch or hangup or crash has been an audio/midi driver issue. Thats been my personal gripe of dealing with conventional computer platforms. They just were not designed with music/audio production in mind.
    But then again, Synthstrom has done some tricks that astound me compared to the competion.
    But all that said, im well-pleased with the deluge's a/d convertors and build quality and its lean, badass firmware as it is really.

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

Unfortunately it's not possible.
    This should be added to the "read first before posting" post in Software Suggestions.
    There's no DAC in the USB or whatever...
    A bunch of us 1st generation people (who had to wait months made a lot of suggestions) discussed the more outputs issue, for cueing, bounces and FX lines etc...
    Downrush helps with the cueing issue though.
    Hopefully at some point there might be an internal bounce function, but I'd assume that will take a while as I assume it'll be hard to write the code. :smile:

72versions72versions Auckland NZBeta Tester Posts: 39
    edited May 2018
    Post edited by 72versions on
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Deluge_loverDeluge_lover Beta Tester Posts: 8

Fair points, if Deluge gets to a place where it can mix tracks with precision (could even just be the values on the display or VU metering thing), and some type of compression / limiting or at least isolation / export of stems, then I would much prefer this option. Like lots of us I'm trying not to use my computers if it's feasible w/o sacrificing practicality. If it can all happen in the box then thats best for sure.
    Should also mention, I'm already super happy with Deluge, it's definitely the best piece of all round gear I've owned in forever, just nice to contribute to the update discussion when I know this isn't far from becoming a 100 percent DAW alternative.

@alien_brain good point about bouncing/export. I dont see why an export feature couldnt be coded to write stems to sd if there was enough intrest.

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

@minigoat
    It's mentioned here http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/5/please-read-first-before-posting as:
    WAV file export / mixdown
    I'd assume that would mean as stems.

Another Midi bus via USB would be nice too ;)

mpiecorampiecora United StatesPosts: 29

This is the overbridge of Synthstrom

edited July 2019

Why do people keep mentioning the limitations of the DAC? We're talking USB digital out.
    There's also a demand for more midi channels.
    Why not just add everything to the digital Universal Serial Bus?

Post edited by 72versions on

Bump
    Can anybody confirm what can be sent through USB?

Just_Peter118Just_Peter118 The NetherlandsPosts: 42

+1 Please make this possible (if technical possible)

pbolgerpbolger ChristchurchPosts: 61

I suspect that this isn't technically possible, and, it's sort of out of step with the philosophy of the Deluge - which is very much about portability and spontaneity.
    What I would really like though, would be a render to stems function, which would write all the tracks of a song into separate files, bundled into a folder, so you could put them into a DAW and work on them further. This would get around some of the limitations of the Deluge, like the reverb, which is ok, but not stellar.

OszilloOszillo -Posts: 26
    edited September 2019

it is one thing to make a device USB midi class compliant. It is a total different thing to make a USB port transport audio buffers and deliver in its specified protocols. There are even difficulties when midi and audio should be transported on the same USB ports the same time. This is why you will almost never see devices capable of this USB-Midi+Audio without specific drivers for different operating systems. If this would be so easy, you could use Roland Tr-8 with iOS, Elektron Gear Audio via USB without Overbridge, which is by far not that easy but not impossible.
    I am lucky in owning an A&H Qu digital mixer which works driver-less with audio + midi : in + out on all channels.
    But its needs treatment with this vision in mind when developing the circuitry.

The deluge is a synth+sequencer at first. So controlling the device is much more important than bouncing convenience with USB could be and trying to make it a slave device to DAWs. If i'd like to catch audio from the Deluge i route its outputs in an audio recording on the mixer/sound-card or even resample the recording on the Deluge itself and download the wav's with its respective maximum possible quality.
    Still think the SPP feature needs improvement and lots of different troubles would be gone and new possibilities open doors in creating stuff for everyone as the Deluge is portable as hell - fits in any bag. If i really need a bounce i would not do this with USB, i would use a proper recorder or as told the resample feature.

I think a bus routing conception was already in Rohan's mind sometime but never turned out a good solution for the deluge. Otherwise he would have made it part of the deluges workflow i guess.
    Deluges resampling capabilities at the moment are not that far away from collecting mixes thru bus channels to be bounced on SD. The problem then is more there are different threads writing at the same time different content on the same SD card out of the same fixed size ram that can not grow or needs cpu cycles to do its jobs while calculating the dsp stuff. Sorry was not opening the Deluge to catch a glue how the architecture is really done.
    But i am quite sure if the asked USB audio feature would have be possible, he would have made it part of the deluge. Which answers the questions - its not possible.

Post edited by Oszillo on