Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Set note velocity (for entering new notes)

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

How can you set the note velocity? I mean, the velocity that is given a note when you enter it. I know how to change it after you have entered it, but I hope there is also a way to set the standard velocity for that track, so you don't have to change the velocity of all notes if you want them all at 127 (for example)?

Comments

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

Defaults at 64. No way i know of to change that?
    A workaround i use, is to zoom in and use the "cross screen" button and change all the steps i want that way. Not ideal, but can be a fast way of doing it. Also copy/paste.

How can you copy a note?

You copy what you see. Meaning at whatever resolution your zoom is and the page your on and the octave your at, whatever is right there as you see it, gets copied.
    A copy/paste per note feature would be great and ive made a suggestion for it a couple months ago.

llexamllexam USABeta Tester Posts: 73
    edited May 2018

A quick 'double tap' on a step to set velocity to max (127) would be a nice feature.

Post edited by llexam on

The notes above and below,(that you cant see) i should add, also get copied.

@llexam yes. Or while you hold the note, 3 pads in the lower right light up in a lite/ dark blue indicating, say 32, 64, 127 or something

They Deluge should just remember the value of the last edited note velocity. Then all new entered notes get the same velocity, if you don't want that, you edit them again. Also when pressing and holding an existing note, it should take the velocity of that note as well.
    This is how FL studio works and this works like a charm.

@MPrinsen even better!

Is this suggested in the Software suggestion forum already?

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

@MPrinsen Yip.
    Maybe like the third one. :smiley:

I can't find it? Would like to upvote

The user and all related content has been deleted.

@alien_brain It would be helpful if there was a dev roadmap showing what suggestions were being considered, etc. Rohan et al. may be implementing features with low vote count and we would never know.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

It's the way you say things, not just what you're saying ...

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
    edited May 2018

@llexam said:
    It would be helpful if there was a dev roadmap showing what suggestions were being considered, etc. Rohan et al. may be implementing features with low vote count and we would never know.

We may certainly implement features with low votes counts. Votes do have a little bit of sway, but not as much as an important idea - at the end of the day we go through all the suggestions and work out what makes sense to implement at a given time, and also trying to balance additions so multiple workflows are serviced with each release. A feature one user see's as essential, another has no interest in - we try to balance that each release see's each core workflow getting at least something beneficial.

Some changes some users see as being simple are quite challenging, if something is being changed to how it was originally implemented, it means much more consideration in the coding and much more difficulty in having changes not wreck havoc on existing saved material - implementing a brand new idea is easier than making changes to an existing one - that said, we totally understand the need to adaptions, and are always listening.

We don't publish a roadmap as it puts unneeded pressure and stress on Rohan. We don't want people constantly thinking about what the Deluge could be, and instead to simply work to how it is today and to enjoy new features and changes when they happen rather than drowning in anxiety waiting for things to happen.

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on
    edited May 2018

@Ian_Jorgensen thats a reassuring, balanced approch and i appreciate it. Carry on.😎

Post edited by minigoat on

I made a software suggestion about this topic:
    http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/901/remember-last-set-note-velocity

Feel free to upvote if you think this is a good idea.

@Ian_Jorgensen I appreciate your nuanced approach to adding new features, and I'm happy to learn that low vote count suggestions may still be heard.

My concern with the Deluge is that there are several basic functionality issues that are either not working correctly (audible audio clicking when performing certain functions or combinations of functions [possibly fixed in 2.0], sometimes corrupted p-lock automation when loading a song from save, occasional loss of SD card read functionality during sample/kit loading, etc), or are not implemented but implied in the Deluge advertising description (no pre-sample audio input monitoring without a cumbersome work-around, no optional playback/recording screen cursor follow across pages, no display of values when entering/editing p-lock style automation, all of which are commonly expected functions based on advertising the Deluge with the features 'sampler'/'sequencer'/'parameter automation', respectively, in the year 2018).

Ultimately, the paid customers (me, and perhaps others) are left wondering if these basic expected functionalities and OS bugs are being considered, or are deliberately being left out due to coding issues or purposeful design choices. Publishing some sort of public dev roadmap, or active communication about such issues, are possible solutions to this problem. There may be other solutions too.

Apologies @MPrinsen for derailing this thread.

pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 165

I haven’t ordered a Deluge yet, but these posts concern me. I’d be selling off two other pieces for the Deluge and I don’t want to regret it.
    I hope 2.0 addresses these issues, I’ll definitely wait to order.

edited May 2018

@pfrf if you havnt already, have a look at the videos synthstrom has made, along with reading the manual. Its a fast read. That should give you a pretty good idea of what it can do. They cover about all of it, so dont assume it can do much more than what you see there. If that floats your boat without expecting more, you should be pleased with any new features that come along. The recent superbooth vids give some hints at whats being developed.
    Its easy to get over-hyped about the "new thing". It really is a capable box, but its not going to make your bed and walk your dog for you. Keep your expectations in check and if you have to, id reckon flipping it on ebay shouldnt be a challenge at all.
    Hope that helps and sorry if you knew all this already, i just had a free moment to ramble 😄

Post edited by minigoat on

@pfrf I don't regret buying the Deluge for even one second, despite my criticisms. It's a brilliant sequencer.

edited May 2018

@minigoat Thanks! I’m still going over the videos and I’ve downloaded the manual. From what I’ve watched so far the Deluge looks very intuitive. I think it will be relatively easy for me to learn.
    I’m most worried about bugs and especially hardware issues. But after posting in this thread I googled “deluge issues” and didn’t find that much- some dead batteries, external midi controller causing the internal synth to clip, and the sticky volume knob. Not many complaints for a complex machine.
    @llexam I appreciate that post. Thank you for the reassurance. I’ve got a Pyramid but I’m not loving the experience. Buying another sequencer so soon feels a little decadent but I really need something that I can get along with. The Pyramid is a classy piece, good quality and capable, but cryptic, odd, scattered.

Post edited by pfrf on

The Pyramid has midi effects and a euclidian sequencer. They’re fun but the list of midi effects includes an arpeggiator, quantizer, swing, scale and a few other things that are actually already included in other sequencers. The euclidian sequencer is interesting but limited to one scale tone. The randomizer and chance effects are great. I find the workflow awkward, though, so if I enjoy the Deluge I’ll sell the Pyramid.

I have heard the old E-mu Command Stations were good sequencers and I’ve heard good things about the Yamaha QY-700 but new is nice, I like new gear.