Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Per step automation control for samples

I've found that with long samples I often want to add reverb to a particular step in the sample or abruptly cut out the audio within a certain range, and my only option for doing that right now (AFAIK) involves manually turning the reverb and volume knobs while recording. I often can't turn them quickly enough from 0 to full (or vice versa) to create a clean cutoff or apply an effect satisfyingly, so I've thought that the ability to hold a pad within a sample and set the value of a parameter for just that step would be extremely useful.

Is there any other way to easily add abrupt blank space (or cut out a range) within a sample?

Comments

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    dest4bdest4b Frankfurt, GermanyPosts: 98

www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

JscottkJscottk SeattlePosts: 51

@dest4b good point, it would be useful for pads and other sounds that evolve over time too.

@alien_brain darn, I'm hoping they focus a bit on live sample manipulation/looping functionality with the upcoming updates. The Deluge is so close to being an extremely powerful tool for real time improvisation with samples.

n00bn00b SpacePosts: 28

I haven't tried it myself yet, but would creating a 'ghost' track like in this video maybe work:

https://youtu.be/bZvafWWtegw?t=1m58s

I'll at least give it a go tomorrow and let you know if it works.

'Bad sound kills good music!'

edited May 2018

Very interesting, I hadn't seen that before. It seems like a bug so I'm hesitant to base my workflow off of it, but it does the trick for saving particular automation values for monophonic patches. Not sure if it'd work in kit mode though.

I'm interested to hear how your experiment turns out!

Post edited by Jscottk on

@Jscottk said:
    Not sure if it'd work in kit mode though.

I was thinking the same! ;)

I'm interested to hear how your experiment turns out!

I will let you know for sure, though it's a wonderful sunny day out here, so I'll probably get to it in the evening.
    Time to catch me some sun and vitamine D's B)

So I tried in anyway possible I could think off, but unfortunately it didn't work as I could imagine it to work......but with the speed updates and new functionalities are coming, I could imagine it will be possible at one point.

edited May 2018

Did you try setting a new synth to type sample (with the "file" parameter set to the sample you want to manipulate)? I was thinking that'd be the best bet for making this technique work.

Actually not, I tried it on a sample in a kit track.
    So new experiment to be tried out I guess.

To be continued.....

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

Off the top o ma head...create a synth track, set osc to sample, make the note length on the grid at C2, then hold on a step on a note above or below C2 and make your knob adjustment at that step, then erase the step. To get volume drops, just lock the volume to a step like any other available parameter.
    Im not at my deluge right now, but thats how im thinking it works.
    Hope it helps.

edited May 2018

Just tried it out and it works! The only change I made to @minigoat's approach is place the sample at C3 (middle C) instead of C2 to play it back unaltered.

😎 @jscottk. Yea, i just took a guess at which octave C is set to play straight at. Glad you got it tho.

Sweet!

jbone1313jbone1313 Posts: 39

@minigoat said:
    Off the top o ma head...create a synth track, set osc to sample, make the note length on the grid at C2, then hold on a step on a note above or below C2 and make your knob adjustment at that step, then erase the step. To get volume drops, just lock the volume to a step like any other available parameter.
    Im not at my deluge right now, but thats how im thinking it works.
    Hope it helps.

Thanks for this suggestion. It does not work for me. I did just as you said, but it is always adjusting the parameter (e.g. frequency or volume) for all the steps.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

edited May 2018

@jbone1313 by saying "for all the steps", do you mean the steps vertical to each other, or all steps including those left and right of where you are trying to lock?
    Unfortantaly, the deluge dosnt pin a parameter literaly to a step, but more to that spot in time. So, it is not as if it were a "partical" but more as a "wave" in time...meaning when you set say, resonance to 90, 5 steps in, all on that track will get the res bumped there. Even kit tracks.
    Now, once you have bumped that spot in time, at say 90, it will stay there until you set another value along the timeline.
    So maybe your not getting the effect because your not adding another lock near-by?
    Just my guess without knowing what you are or are not doing more specifically.

Post edited by minigoat on
    edited May 2018

@minigoat said:
    @jbone1313 by saying "for all the steps", do you mean the steps vertical to each other, or all steps including those left and right of where you are trying to lock?
    Unfortantaly, the deluge dosnt pin a parameter literaly to a step, but more to that spot in time. So, it is not as if it were a "partical" but more as a "wave" in time...meaning when you set say, resonance to 90, 5 steps in, all on that track will get the res bumped there. Even kit tracks.
    Now, once you have bumped that spot in time, at say 90, it will stay there until you set another value along the timeline.
    So maybe your not getting the effect because your not adding another lock near-by?
    Just my guess without knowing what you are or are not doing more specifically.

Thanks for the reply. It is adjusting for all the steps horizontally.

I simply add a sample on the first step. The note length is the entire 16 steps. Then, on the next row up, on the 9th step, I attempt to add a lock as you described, but it does not work. It is just adjusting the value for the whole track, instead of that one step.

Post edited by jbone1313 on

Ah I think you're running into an issue I saw too. Values set with this technique seem to "stick" until the loop restarts, so you need to add another note where you want the value to return to the original number.

In order to "blank" out a step in a sample I had to place a note above the sample with a volume of 0 at the step and then place another note next to it (at the step I wanted the audio to return) with a higher volume value.

@Jscottk said:
    Ah I think you're running into an issue I saw too. Values set with this technique seem to "stick" until the loop restarts, so you need to add another note where you want the value to return to the original number.

In order to "blank" out a step in a sample I had to place a note above the sample with a volume of 0 at the step and then place another note next to it (at the step I wanted the audio to return) with a higher volume value.

Thank you. Kit track or synth track?

I got it working. It works great once you get the hang of it. I found I can do everything on one track/row.

Awesome, glad to hear you got it working! A synth track is the way to go (for anyone else struggling with this).