Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Piano style layout for entering notes (in addition to the guitar style 4ths layout)

z1vz1v Posts: 7

It would be nice to have a piano style input option alongside the isomorphic guitar style 4ths layout. This way you could see 8 octaves (!!!) at once. See attached screenshot.

Post edited by z1v on

Comments

tacharontacharon HamburgPosts: 44

Yes, please. This layout would be way more familiar to keyboard players.

DarkRayDarkRay CroatiaPosts: 3

Great idea, and when any of scales are selected i would like to have just notes from the scale without ghost notes which don’t belong to the selected scale. Something like push or ni maschine.

tacharontacharon HamburgPosts: 44

…or the the keyboard layout always allows to access all semitones, but the ones matching the current scale are color coded. However, limiting access to only scale notes (as DarkRay suggested) would be a great option too, but that would require only half of all pads, so that the upper half of the pad matrix could display 64 steps (holding a step pad would allow to see and edit the notes of that step – the same principle which is used in the Novation Circuit).

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

+1
    To me the guitar style layout is confusing

thejohnpepethejohnpepe United States (Boston Area)Posts: 6

I love the guitar style layout (probably because I'm mainly a bass player), but would definitely be great to have a keyboard themed style as well because it would be more familiar for most, and would continue to help me learn keys :)

PhilPhil MontréalBeta Tester Posts: 105
    edited May 2018

Are the 2 right columns assigned to anything in that view? If not, 1 could be for velocity level, the other for aftertouch or whatever.

Post edited by Phil on
    p_watsp_wats TorontoPosts: 111

This missing feature is the only concern I have with placing an order, as I love to play chromatically, but not sure I'll be able to wrap my head around the guitar-style view and don't want to have to carry around a midi controller.

Trevor_RefixTrevor_Refix BC, CanadaPosts: 10

I was just coming on here to suggest this, yes please!

Got my Deluge last night and am excited to dive in. This sort of note entry is still something I feel would really help (at least my workflow).

jC3jC3 Posts: 6

As someone who is more familiar with piano than guitar, I also think this would be great.

A orchestral strings-type layout (5ths instead of 4ths, excluding double bass) might be good too, since the size/spacing of the pads is closer to violin than guitar (low end of the necks). I suppose more people are likely to be familiar with guitar than orchestral strings nowadays, but for those who are familiar, or for those who are equally unfamiliar with either, it could be nice. It also allows for 14 more notes compared to the guitar layout.

Mystic38Mystic38 Posts: 21

Personally i can't agree with a piano type layout.. it offers little extra benefit to the existing layout and if you play keys, then a cheap controller is far better for this 10 times out of ten (and yes, i play)..lol.

I think an alternative layout more like Push 2 and Launchpad pro, utilizing the centre 88 grid would be more useable..
    1. It is a solid usable note entry method already used by many many people..after all, Push 2 and Launchpad Pro are hardly niche products...
    2. Chord forms are totally translatable .. know the few major and minor chord shapes and you are done.
    3. Using the 8
    8 gives 5 octaves, which is adequate.
    4. With a two column blank space on each side, then there is the ability to use a 2*8 column set down each side of the centre note grid for other purposes.. eg switch functions like arp on/off, roll repeat, sustain; and also a ramped or rate/amount related items (needs a column) like cutoff, legato amount, volume, modulation.

Item 4 is HUGE... This method would make FAR more effective use of a 16*8 grid array with a very common note interface and provides significant extra possibility for expressive playing

edited July 2018

@Mystic38 said:
    Personally i can't agree with a piano type layout.. it offers little extra benefit to the existing layout and if you play keys, then a cheap controller is far better for this 10 times out of ten (and yes, i play)..lol.

I think an alternative layout more like Push 2 and Launchpad pro, utilizing the centre 88 grid would be more useable..
    1. It is a solid usable note entry method already used by many many people..after all, Push 2 and Launchpad Pro are hardly niche products...
    2. Chord forms are totally translatable .. know the few major and minor chord shapes and you are done.
    3. Using the 8
    8 gives 5 octaves, which is adequate.
    4. With a two column blank space on each side, then there is the ability to use a 2*8 column set down each side of the centre note grid for other purposes.. eg switch functions like arp on/off, roll repeat, sustain; and also a ramped or rate/amount related items (needs a column) like cutoff, legato amount, volume, modulation.

Item 4 is HUGE... This method would make FAR more effective use of a 16*8 grid array with a very common note interface and provides significant extra possibility for expressive playing

A lot of people like the Deluge for it's portable nature. I know I don't plan on taking a keyboard controller around with me wherever I go, so a piano layout would be helpful.

I've gotten to like the isomorphic layout, so it's not as much of an issue for me, but I would still think it's a good feature.

That said, maybe a push/launchpad layout is helpful to people too. Why not make a suggestion for that and let it get votes?

Post edited by p_wats on
    o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

I'm guessing that this would be another keyboard layout which I would assumed be toggle-able, so press for ISO, press again for PIANO, ( or double/long press, since press turns the keyboard on and off ) so if the discussion is "are different layout better and just one?" then, yes!

ELEVENELEVEN Zagreb, CroatiaPosts: 60

+1

RasseruRasseru United KingdomPosts: 1
    edited January 2020

I came here just for this!

But please just make us able to program whatever layout we want.

I would just like to try different layouts for different scales. It opens up different playing styles

Ok, you can show note lights etc, but it's the slides that open up when you can program your own layout. You can do this on the linnstrument and it's wonderful

Post edited by Rasseru on