Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Mixer function with VU Meters

chvadchvad Brooklyn, NYBeta Tester Posts: 39

In my imagination....
A mixer mode similar in some ways to SONG view. You can select which track volume to adjust by pressing anywhere in the grid. The grid itself represents audio levels in a typical green/yellow/red peak meter represented horizontally for each track in view. tracks can be muted and solo'd here with the far right two columns. Maybe SHIFT/SONG accesses this mode. Perhaps also in this mode one golden knob is always volume and the other always pan. the black knobs can scroll up and down for viewing extra tracks and perhaps something else. The last two vertical rows on the main grid could display a master post fader vertical meter for showing overall mix levels. separated by some unrelated color to create a space between the horizontal and vertical meters. in the picture i used blue.

As im working on arrangements for live use now... this would be HUGELY beneficial to have.

www.controlledbleeding.com | www.chvad.com

Post edited by chvad on

Comments

greymadrgreymadr SeattlePosts: 3

What an awesome idea!

thanks man!

dest4bdest4b Frankfurt, GermanyPosts: 98

!! +1

www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

MafooMafoo Posts: 53

this would be awesome. I have started bouncing some of my jam sessions and I'm realizing my mixes are not translating well at all. Even using multiple speakers and headphones it is hard to get a good mix just by ear. I also feel like the deluge is limiting or compressing the output somewhat; making adjustments to individual tracks can sometimes impact the overall volume of the output.

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

Not for everyone i know, but ive been sending a midi track out to a sp404 that triggers a "mastered" kick drum thats at a level im aiming for. That way, i have an external reference point i can use to balance the deluge's tracks with.
    Still, +1 for metering.

not a bad solution... ive done some similar stuff but this interface is BEGGING for some graphical VU action! :)

cypher79cypher79 UKPosts: 157

Bump

This feature would be very useful, and would make great use of the Deluge's grid.

I think it'd be super cool... STILL but i guess enough people don't see the need! A bummer!

vygervyger Portland, OR USAPosts: 13
    edited August 2019

I'd love to see this so much, it would be amazing.

An extension of this would be to visualize any of the current gold knob settings per track, like a generalized 'param view'.
    So if you have 'level/pan' selected, it would show volume and pan levels and allow you to quickly change them. If you then selected 'delay time/amount', you'd get the same view except you could quickly adjust delay params per track. This could extend to MIDI tracks as well if any of those gold knobs are bound to MIDI CCs.
    It might get a little crowded to display/edit both params on one screen for each track, but maybe the 'left/right' scroll could be used there so you get a full page editable meter per param per track.
    I know for most of my live setups, something like this would become my main performance interface especially if I could arm those tracks right from this view as well.

[update]
    A couple other thoughts on this:
    1. Editing those param value could still be done via holding down on one of the track pads and adjusting the knobs. You could also maybe have a quick pad-oriented value entry, but you'd be practically limited to 16 unless you wanted to go down the zoom-in rabit hole (may be more complex than needed).
    2. The key-combo [shift] + 'level/pan', 'cutoff/res', etc. could be a really easy and intuitive way to enter this mode.
    3. This 'params view' could also be implemented at the track level in addition to the song level. It would then show the scrollable list of 16 params with the same meter view for each, but you'd be able to see them all at once.
    4. Finally, if on 'params view' within song and 'affect entire' is selected; you'd see a similar view of all 16 params but they would represent the global values.

Definitely adds a lot of complexity, but I think the visual feedback nature of it would make it intuitive enough. Anyway, thank you Synthstrom for making such an amazing device and supporting it so well to the point where these kinds of things are attainable!

p.s. this is similar to: http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/899/step-automation-view-automation-drawing-track-long-envelope-drawing#latest

Post edited by vyger on
    pitchblenderpitchblender Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 24

Hello all - just got a Deluge and wading through the manual(s) in chronological order along with the videos...
    Just a suggestion related to an on-board mixing mode - it might be better for the user to use a vertical mixer layout instead of horizontal bars as suggeted in this post. I've used Launchpad and Push 1 (with GlyphX) and they had mixers like that. I also have a KMI K-Mix which uses LEDs to indicate volume position as well as sound level for each track by having a toggle button to choose between steady LEDs for track volume or the same column indicating levels for that track but still sensitive to volume levels as soon as you touch the column of LEDs (with optional 'pickup' mode to avoid big volume jumps).
    Remember there are 16 columns too on the Deluge. Perhaps it would be useful to be able to select the number of LED 'sliders' and the types?
    I'll have a look around the rest of the forum too as I'm sure this is not an original suggestion for the Deluge.

Please forgive if I'm repeating other folk.

Cheers
    Fred

I think that's a great idea. Not sure how many other posts there are suggesting this as it hasnt for some reason seemed to be a really popular idea but vote up the thread and hopefully they'll take notice! :)

supchikovsupchikov Beta Tester Posts: 19

+1

petebluespeteblues Santa CruzPosts: 1

another vote for it. It's one of the very few things I'm missing on the Deluge.
    I think they should be horizontal, as the OP suggested, to align with the tracks. Having them vertical would have the user to think around a corner

PuppeteerPuppeteer Perth, West OzBeta Tester Posts: 52

It would also be good to have the input level displayed on this somehow.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@Puppeteer said:
    It would also be good to have the input level displayed on this somehow.

yeah, it is an old suggestion but would work perfectly for audio tracks too (set line in to an audio track for audio thru)

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292

Since the new 707 has this mixer functionality with true faders, there must be something done on this topic in the Deluge to win the crown back.

mjunkermjunker Posts: 16

+1

Just_Peter118Just_Peter118 The NetherlandsPosts: 42

+1 Great idea!

funktreefunktree NYPosts: 128

I would take this to the next level, almost like a performance mixer that would work like this :
    16 pads would be divided to 4x4 (we already have lines on overlay)
    pad 1-4 VU metter
    pad 5-8 Relative Volume (preset values taken from the golden knobs 4 values almost like having soft mute or soft solo)
    pad 9-12 one of the gold knob functions remapped to 4 performance values
    pad 13-16 second of the gold knob functions remapped to 4 performance values

for the lefties flip pads 1-4 with 13-16

I wonder how many up-votes would be needed for this to be considered?

VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USABeta Tester Posts: 129

+1 for Visual Track Faders mode!
    (we have it on Tenori-on, it's very useful in a live perfomance setting.

I recorded a MC707 + Deluge as MIDI master video last night! Will upload in the next few days.
    It's a fine combination.

I think I will want to find the perfect MIDI fader bank to use with Deluge. I'd want it to be also battery powered, of course to be ready to use for live shows!
    Do you have any suggestions?

Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
    YouTube: VJFranzK

@VJFranzK said:

I think I will want to find the perfect MIDI fader bank to use with Deluge. I'd want it to be also battery powered, of course to be ready to use for live shows!

Do you have any suggestions?

I've been using the Launch Control XL for live stuff and it's been fantastic.

LeonLeon LondonPosts: 8

+1 Fantastic idea!

KinNectarKinNectar Portland, ORPosts: 7

Up vote for this even though I haven't opened the box yet. I have been diving deep in mixers/multitrack recorders/audio interfaces to get my setup fully situated. Especially when outputting Deluge out to a mixer when combining with other instruments controled via midi out having a fast way to visualize the track levels onboard the Deluge seems crucial.