Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

monochrome /single color for tracks

tffshtttffshtt berlinPosts: 53

sam said I should repost here:
Is it possible to make LED colors a single color within a track rather than fading to other colors?
Single colors would make it easier for my weak little mind. Strict color coding is especially useful when beer is added to the equation i.e. impairing vision and increasing disorientation during an important noodling session.

Post edited by tffshtt on

Comments

VoltVolt Posts: 55

So true! Much more easy to remember which track plays which instrument, if not every track looks almost same, color wise. And I don’t see the advantage of multicolored tracks, besides it’s looking nice. ;)

trijammertrijammer AucklandPosts: 8

I like this idea. Could be implemented as a system setting / global option, e.g. COLOurs: STANdard, SINGle.

tacharontacharon HamburgPosts: 44

+1
    As much as I have sympathy for the intention of the currently implemented system of communicating pitch using color – especially in Song view, this is rather confusing in practice. A much simpler system (one track, one color) would definitely help to stay oriented in the Song view of larger projects.
    If the hardware allows it, the Track LED could display the color of the currently edited track while the pads still show pitch color. Else, we may need an Setting menu option to use colors either to identify Pitch, or Tracks, globally.

poldensteinpoldenstein italyBeta Tester Posts: 43

+1

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017
    edited April 2018

+1

And a quick tip: Kits CAN have just one color already - make a 'template' empty song with several kits set to specific colors, by holding the audition pads one by one in the kit tracks + hold shift and turn the <>-knob to set each of the pads to the same color.

When changing kits (presets) the set colors remain :)

Halfway there!

Post edited by Icoustik on

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

+1

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

+1
    yes. really dont see any advantage to see multi colored tracks in song view. constantly using solo function to remember which track contains what. not even counting in the beer factor :)

VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USABeta Tester Posts: 129

once you understand the colors, it could have some value.

but more choice of color options is great. have it make sense to you

Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
    YouTube: VJFranzK

ScrufftvScrufftv ukPosts: 2

Yes please. This so far for me has been the only workflow speed dampener. Quickly being able to visually locate a track while performing would be very handy.

cypher79cypher79 UKPosts: 157

+1....as soon as you zoom out a few levels, all your neatly colour coded tracks just become solid blocks of white...its really confusing.

Trevor_RefixTrevor_Refix BC, CanadaPosts: 10

+1 on this, would love a solid color option

muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128
    edited June 2018

A big 'yes' from me. Somehow I missed this thread but I started one here that covers this and other issues with colours in the 'general questions' section.

It makes much more sense to have a single colour per instrument IMO - this could pave the way for much more clarity in the new arranger too.

At the moment I'm always recolouring tracks just because I've edited the sequence a little bit. It's a real ball-ache.

Post edited by muleskinner on

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

I agree as well. Color = Pitch makes sense in in the Track view, when you can actually do something about it. It's probably more useful in the song view to use a single color per track, but still use intensity to convey some information, probably pitch but note could also be useful, since you are likely to be zoomed out in song view

Yeah, due to space limits i think it is just impossible in too many cases to get a helpful overview of a tracks content in song view. The color mix to denote note data does confuse more than it helps unless it is a very simple pattern.

Better have monochrome. Not sure if pitch should be shown with color brightness/intensity, I'd say no. Better have more distinct colors, I have easily 20 tracks in a song, so a Kick drum Fill track could get a light red color, while all main kick tracks are dark red.

Above all I think track display in song view should help with following:

• Indicate Loop Length: already does this nicely with the cursor
    • Indicate if an event is happening. Helps triggering instant mutes/solo for example. Already does this nicely, monochrome would be enough for this. Dont need to know if its a quieter note or a note with another pitch.
    darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

Agreed, also for non blank unique instances in the arranger I’d prefer a dimmer version of the original colour rather than white, I think white makes sense for blank instances though.

Andy77Andy77 SingaporeBeta Tester Posts: 12

Agree, with choice to select the track colors if possible.

tffshtttffshtt berlinPosts: 53

bumpity bizump

cypher79cypher79 UKPosts: 157

This is exactly why I made this suggestion to have access to all colours in song view;

http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/1360/access-all-colours-in-song-view#latest

That way, if you give each sound it's own kit track, then every sound could have its own colour in kit track, and have the same colour in song/arrangement view.

mike505mike505 GermanyPosts: 8

+1

MachineAgeVoodooMachineAgeVoodoo BerlinPosts: 17

This!

WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 236

Looks like we have a strong consensus amongst users, but (just cuz), I'm adding MY name to the list

+1

happyclimberhappyclimber francePosts: 41

oh yes please !!!!

supertwangsupertwang Austin, TXPosts: 11

+1 for single color tracks. Slightly off topic, but in the same "How do I keep this all straight in my mind" category... The ability to create blank "spacer" rows (including the right two columns) would help me a lot. That way I could create standard track stacks (ie kick is always the first in the stack, bass is always second, etc) and easily find the first track as I'm scrolling vertically. I do this already with the section colors, but a full blank row would be easier to see as things are scrolling quickly past.

JscottkJscottk SeattlePosts: 51

+1

WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 236

Good idea, 4 sure

edited November 2018

some cool pictures here:

@muleskinner said:
    A big 'yes' from me. Somehow I missed this thread but I started one here

Deluge uses pitch to color the steps in arranger, song and track mode.
    seems to me it is easier to remember and get around if each track was monochrome and had a base color.
    plus, would be cool to see how it looks if all modes were monochrome with slight variation for velocity.
    edit: arranger mode had to keep its color coding, color has to reflect section color.

Post edited by amiga909 on
    ChrisfreeqChrisfreeq NorwayPosts: 25

+1

andershandersh United StatesPosts: 10

+1 monochrome. This is THE thing driving me batshit.

muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128

Yup, this and the fact that there's no way to loop a section of the arrangement still have me tearing my hair out. Doesn't stop me loving the Deluge though!

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

CassidySCassidyS United StatesPosts: 4

+1