Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Sending notes to a module with no keyboard?

hardwarecorehardwarecore wisconsinBeta Tester Posts: 22

I bet I am probably overlooking a very simple answer to this, but I have a Future Retro Revolution that I am trying to sequence with the Deluge. Unless I'm mistaken, in order to get note messages to a module you have to use the midi learn function while playing a note on the external instrument, correct? Well, since the Revo does not have any way to play it live (only has a sequencer), how would you go about setting this up so that the Deluge will send it note messages via midi?

I suppose if I get the right cables, I could play it via CV/gate, which I haven't been able to try yet. But midi would be my preferred way, if it's possible.

Comments

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

midi learn is for what is coming -into- the deluge, to control the deluge's functions.
    if your sending midi out from the deluge into another kit, you do it with a midi track created on the deluge set to the channel your other box is set to receive on.

SamSam WellingtonModerator, Staff Posts: 160

Hi @hardwarecore! In order to send MIDI out from the Deluge to other modules/instruments/etc you actually don't need to use the learn button. All you need to do is open a new MIDI track, set it to the channel the FRR will be receiving on and start plugging in notes. Make sure the cable's connected properly, press play and it should be sending MIDI.

I'm not sure what the interface on the Revolution is, but you might want to check how it receives MIDI. For example, if it has a 'learn'-style feature, you might want to be using its version of that. If not, you might also want to check the channel it's receiving on, just to make sure it's the same as the number you have the Deluge set to.

Hope that helps :smile:

hardwarecorehardwarecore wisconsinBeta Tester Posts: 22

Ah gotcha, thanks guys. Ever other time I've set up external gear I was running midi from a keyboard through the Deluge, so I suppose that's why I was thinking I needed to use learn. I have tried it without as well though.
    I've set the channels correctly and everything and tried every setting on both machines but something's still messing it up. It's odd, I'm no stranger to midi but never had an issue like this. The Revo works with all of my other sequencers and the Deluge works to sequence all of my other synths. I'm just gonna sleep on it and try again tomorrow. :P