Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

External Audio Looper

The deluge could make an excellent audio looper it seems with a little work!!! As far as I can tell, there is no way to start and stop recording at the start and end of a track, but if there was a way to quantize this recording, and then have the audio loop assigned to a track, it could make a nice little compositional/improvisation tool, especially when playing with a guitar or other external instrument.

Everything could just be recorded as basic samples, but having the quantized recording would be everything for this!!!

Comments

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296
    Record+play will start playback and record and then rec+play again will end recording at the end of the measure automaticly...not really live " looping" but gets you quantised recorded loops
    SaharTheGreatSaharTheGreat United StatesPosts: 19

Isn't that just for resampling though instead of from the external input?

It will record everything you hear including any tracks set to external input.

But that doesn't allow listening to backing tracks or even the metronome while recording the loops :/

It feels like the only major thing missing on the machine for me.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Not sure if there's a request for this already , but you have my vote! :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

I am notoriously bad at searching forums, but thanks!!! It is the last key for my rig really, and I don't want to have to buy another box.

ethfethf Los AngelesPosts: 3

A feature that I would find really useful for live looping is if you could set the extreme audio source to be what's captured in a loop and nothing else while listening to anything that is already playing. Before hitting record you would specify the start/end or start and length of the loop, and also set whether the loop goes into overdub mode automatically or if it simply goes into playback mode which most loopers do by default. The nice thing about going into overdub mode straight away is if you're using any sustained effects, delays etc, they will wrap around back to the bringing of the loop more smoothly which can be really a nice touch. Also, a way to get out of overdub mode as well. Also, to be able to select a "destination" for that particular loop recording so you can recall/trigger it later. With such a large grid surface to play with I can imagine the Deluge as an incredible powerful tabletop style audio looper that would far exceed anything that can be done with other loopers at this time without resorting to a software solution such as Mobius, Max, Machine, or Live.

VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USABeta Tester Posts: 129

Yes please!
    My favorite looper examples are RC505 and Kaoss Pad 3
    I understand there are "live pickup machines" on Octatrack that could grab a certain number of bars and then save them when prompted.

Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
    YouTube: VJFranzK

EarthCryEarthCry Asheville NCPosts: 15

I just upvoted this elsewhere but yeah we need sampling direct to a track from the audio input so we can record external instruments but not capture backing tracks already playing on the device!

+1

LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

+1

JscottkJscottk SeattlePosts: 51
    edited April 2018

I have been able to live loop/layer external audio without capturing the other tracks by sampling to a kit track while monitoring the line in through another track.

To sample to a kit, I create a new track, press shift + kit, then practice on my external gear (which I can hear through a line in L/R synth track playing in the arrangement) until I'm ready to record, then press record to start the sample and record to end the sample. Then I just tap the leftmost pad on the row corresponding to that sample and it starts playing next time around. If the start/end of the sample is a little off I'll trim it using the start/end parameters.

I agree that something to help align the recording to the exact start/end of the loop would be helpful. In order to monitor my line in while getting ready to record, I create a synth track, set the osc 1 to line in L/R mode, and draw a single note across the clip (so the synth patch is always "on").

Post edited by Jscottk on

@Jscottk It would just be so much more smooth if the regular sampling mode could be quantized like resampling can (by starting and stopping resampling with holding Rec + pressing Play) !

I see, that definitely seems useful. I didn't realize resampling was auto-quantized like that.

Rec + Play = Quantize from start of sequence --> again to quantize to next end of loop

Rec + Audition pad = Resample from start of sound - good for fx-layering resamples for example, without having to trim start/ end

:)

edited April 2018

Fantastic, I'll be playing with this functionality tonight! Thanks Icoustik :) Just got my deluge 3 days ago and I'm having a blast with it. I am amazed by how much this little device can do.

RandomAztecRandomAztec IrelandPosts: 108

I Never knew about that resampling functionally. Time to 're read the manual

Many gems hidden in this piece of treasure, and more yet to come :) :)

My first reply to this thread was how to sample automaticly on the measure. :p

That kit workaround @jscottk mentioned is pretty clever. Need to experiment with that one.

edited April 2018

As I was playing with the kit technique I mentioned above, I realized that each sample slot on a kit can hold a loop from an external source. That opens up a workflow that allows me to arrange a whole "scene" in one track and then use song mode similar to ableton live's session view where each row represents a distinct group/loop. It's amazing!

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to disable automatic playback of files from the file browser so when I'm setting up a new bank to record a loop to, the music is often disrupted from the previous loop playing back immediately. I can work around that by selecting the audition pad + new only at the start of a new measure/downbeat, but it's still annoying.

I can record a video showing the process if anyone's interested.

Edit: just realized I can stop playback by hitting "back" as soon as I'm in the file browser! That solves the problem for the most part

@jscottk man, so much potential with that idea! I kinnnda got the gist, but yea, a video would help clarify whatchutalkn bout.
    Having nearly an entire song within a single kit track, that is grabing live loops, with unlimited parts, and is just a button away from unlimited kits, all in one project....Your whole set could be on song 1.

emptyvesselemptyvessel usaPosts: 30
    edited April 2018

I can record a video showing the process if anyone's interested.

I figured out this kit technique too, its pretty great but would really love to see your video with the rest of whatyoure tslking about!

Post edited by emptyvessel on
    edited April 2018

@minigoat @emptyvessel Here's a rough video showing my workflow.

Apologies about the quality, I was recording output directly from the Deluge speaker with my cellphone a few feet away.

You can tell I still struggle with quickly trimming newly recorded clips but I think it'll get faster/smoother as I get more practice doing it.

Edit: after thinking a bit more about how I can trim recordings quicker, I realized that using a 4-beat count in before playing on my external gear would help immensely. Basically I'll just use the last 4 beats of the main loop to get ready on the external keyboard, and after laying down the first layer I'll know about how long each subsequent layer will need to be trimmed by (because they'll have roughly the same time before the start of the first measure as the first layer does). I'm aiming to finish trimming new samples by the time the whole loop repeats once.

cool! thanks @Jscottk i hadn't realized recording was one step back, after new is selected.
    its a little fiddly having to get that start right. a count-in record setting would help. Also maybe making the recording a stretch type could help the timing.
    nice keys skill btw. i see the op1 makes a good pal with the deluge. B)

edited April 2018

@minigoat I appreciate it! I'm really looking forward to hooking up my sv-1 to this for more serious key jams.

Yeah I've been enjoying the combo of the op-1 with the Deluge a lot. I'm thinking one way I could resolve this trim/quantization issue is to record the loop to the op-1 tape deck first and then transfer that to the Deluge by hitting record on the Deluge at the same time as I hit play on the op-1. I'm interested in sequencing sounds I've made on the op-1 with the Deluge through a midi hub too (hoping the novation audiohub will do the trick).

Hitting back after new is selected isn't necessary to record a sample, but I learned recently (as I was saying in my previous post) that I can stop it from previewing old samples if I hit back immediately. It just prevents the "performance" from being messed up as I jump into the file browser to record another sample.

VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USABeta Tester Posts: 129

^ Clever method! But it'd be even better if there was a track type that was specifically "live looper". ( Get a bunch of Octatrack users to switch over! )

Here is my example with RC 505 looper, but it'd be even better to not have to use an outside looper at all.
    Also, 5 loops is not enough for my taste. ; - ) Deluge seems open to letting you run as many tracks as the processor can stand - GREAT

Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
    YouTube: VJFranzK

PhilPhil MontréalBeta Tester Posts: 105
    edited May 2018

@VJFranzK said:
    ^ Clever method! But it'd be even better if there was a track type that was specifically "live looper". ( Get a bunch of Octatrack users to switch over! )

+1000
    A new type of track is required with it’s own features. Not a clunky workaround. A plain simple audio looper, for guitar, bass, synths, vocals. With midi functions learnable for external footswitch.
    This diserves its own discussion.

Post edited by Phil on
    edited May 2018

Agreed, that sounds great. The process could be much smoother with a dedicated track type for looping/manipulating the line in on the fly. I think even "quantized" line in recordings (like resampling currently works) could dramatically improve the UX for live looping.

PhilPhil MontréalBeta Tester Posts: 105

An external audio looper type of track is definitely what would make this machine a jack of all trades master of ALL.

They're so many ways in which it might be done:

1- in kit track: record + play = recording begins at next loop cycle, stop at the end and the recorded sample goes automatically on an empty pad and play immediately.

Or:

2- In kit track, holding audition pad + pushing select knob turn this pad into an audio loop of the length of the track.--> hitting this audition pad will then toggle record/play/overdub.

Or perhaps too complicated:

2- Dedicated audio looper track. Like in 2, Each audition pad is a looper toggling record/play/overdub following a quantization to bars with count in or not. Hit pad again to stop recording automatically at next bar. Recorded sample play immediately and can be overdubbed.

This discussion has been closed.