Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Automation of Start and End points of a sample and different Looping options

renewable_intelrenewable_intel LondonPosts: 2

Hey all, what do you guys think about automating the Start and End sample points via realtime recording, LFO and parameter locks.

This would open up the sound design side of the deluge, great for creating unusual sonic textures and cool wave type synthesis.

I also would love to see a cross fade looping option which would allow sounds to be looped seamlessly, like the Simpler instrument found on Ableton.

Cross fading between points would allow to smooth the loops points of any sound captured without having to painstakingly resort to using your ear to nail that perfect click-less loop. Besides, cross fading is also great for creating your own pad or lead sounds with ease.

Let me know your thoughts on this!

Post edited by renewable_intel on

Comments

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

YES!
    I was just writing this at the same time.
    Do you think this ties in to your idea?

It would be nice to have some predetermined sample start and end times.
    The threshold function on the SP404sx is really useful but it lacks an automated end time.
    Maybe sometime similar to how you make long notes for recording times or just a predetermined amount depending a the zoom level or via a menu.

Basically I'd like to be able to jam out a riff via bass/guitar then drop in a seamless loop live and use the Deluge to effect it.
    It would be great if it would then be possible to implement a classic sound on sound looper function on top of this.

renewable_intelrenewable_intel LondonPosts: 2

well for sound on sound the deluge needs to have realtime recording and a means of triggering when to record, like the octatrack. Cool idea but it seems it would be difficult to implement without a screen interface to guide you.

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247
    With normal loopers there's no screen.
    But the Deluge has the grid. So I guess a row would be your track with red indicators to show start and end points.
    sifsif Posts: 2
    These are all great ideas... while on the subject of sample looping, it would be nice to have an option to loop while sustaining note but continue to play past the loop end point on release.
    muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128

Basically I'd like to be able to jam out a riff via bass/guitar then drop in a seamless loop live and use the Deluge to effect it.

+1 definitely.

Maschine and Geist (and probably the Octatrack) have the ability to sync sampling to MIDI clock, ie so it starts on the next bar and runs for x bars that kind of thing.

I found the way Maschine dealt with this really annoying as it only allowed you to have one 'take' and it was pretty difficult (for me) to hit the correct seq of keys to start the sampler and then start playing the guitar.

Geist (from memory) is much nicer as it just keeps looping and saving an alternate sample for each take, you can then easily choose the best one and discard the rest. Something like this on the Deluge would be awesome. All it really needs on the screen is something indicating the number of takes, a way to step back and forward to audition them, and a way to 'finalise' the best one.

I'm really hoping we get something like this as it adds so many 'jamming' possibilities. It also makes it really easy to capture sequences created on external gear using arpeggiators and the like.

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

interruptinterrupt oaklandPosts: 6
    isn't this already possible? loop end and start are sound editor pans and i thought they were all able to be recorded
    SamSam WellingtonModerator, Staff Posts: 160

This could be slightly off topic but I got asked on the facebook page to mention this trick here:

You can use the Deluge to send MIDI/CV to an external synth and then record the output back into the Deluge (while sending out the MIDI/CV). However, the Deluge currently does not sync the output/input up, so you may get a bit of latency.

LukreeLukree Posts: 11

Geist (from memory) is much nicer as it just keeps looping and saving an alternate sample for each take, you can then easily choose the best one and discard the rest. Something like this on the Deluge would be awesome. All it really needs on the screen is something indicating the number of takes, a way to step back and forward to audition them, and a way to 'finalise' the best one.

That is something which I have really wanted for so many daws! And in addition to recording audio that way, I'd love to see same sort of functionality for incoming midi. Recording multiple "takes" and then selecting from those. Hell, why the sequencer cannot record midi "all the time" in background "in secret"? Many times I have jammed something thinkin "That sounded nice" and when I try to replicate that, the magic isn't there anymore. Imagine if you could just pick what you just played.

sinknoodlessinknoodles Vancouver, CanadaPosts: 32
    edited June 2017

there is a sample start and end but no loop start param. which would be lovely ( loop end too but not essential )
    to repeat later portions of longer samples etc

Post edited by sinknoodles on
    OmskInfoOmskInfo Berlin, DeutschlandPosts: 25

+1 for automation of Sample Start, at minimum. I've only been using the Deluge for a day and already found myself wanting that, both as a parameter I can lock on various notes (so I can essentially cut up a drum loop on a single track in a Kit), and also to randomize the start position with the random modulator (to start long ambient textures from different locations with each re-trigger). Automating the other stuff would also be nice, too, (as well as having loop points that are independent from the Sample Start & End) but I'd already be quite satisfied with having more control over Sample Start.

tangramtangram Oslo, NorwayBeta Tester Posts: 27

I was looking forward to making patches with some old rompler samples (JD-800, Wavestation, PPG Waveterm), but gave up that idea for now. Sampling back in the day often made use of an initial attack portion and then loop from a set point. Further shaping would be done with the filter and amp envelopes.

So +1 for a separate loop start point.

Crossfading is nice, but there should also be an option to have the start, end and loop point snap to a zero crossing. This will eliminate most clicking.

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

+1

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

danny1976danny1976 colognePosts: 2

+1 for this..

just one thought:
    is this possible with the new streaming feature? could be eat a lot of dsp power to handle this..

That could be a hindrance yes. But let's hope not!

nmihalevichnmihalevich minneapolis Posts: 10

+1

workergrayworkergray Gulfport, FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 222

and "zig-zag" type playback of samples-- it plays front to back to front-- infinitely or for a numerically described amount. if the speed back and forth could be randomized by varying degrees-- in a logarithmic or linear fashion, it could yield a type of "scratching" effect.

+1000

dest4bdest4b Frankfurt, GermanyPosts: 98

+1 For Start endpoint Mod !! Would be the burner. please ADD

www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

agreed

flyweightflyweight PraguePosts: 9

I would buy the Deluge if sample and loop start point modulation are possible.
    Idealy

• sample start
    • loop start
    • loop end
    poldensteinpoldenstein italyBeta Tester Posts: 43

+1

sgsrulessgsrules usBeta Tester Posts: 31

This would definitely be cool. This would allow wavetable like functionality. You could load up a sample with a bunch of waveforms and then modulate the start and end points to transform the sound. In order for this to work right there would need to be some sort of loop cross fade or snap to zero to avoid any clicks.

If this same functionality could be added to LFOs the sonic possibilities would be endless.

sun_shine_loversun_shine_lover TokyoPosts: 4
    Yes! And crossfading or snap to get rid of clicking
    hardwarecorehardwarecore wisconsinBeta Tester Posts: 22

Huge upvote from me on this. I must have missed this topic. It ties in with my most wanted feature, that being a function where, when you change the start point of a sample, it also changes the end point by the same amount (like holding shift when you edit start point, perhaps). This would allow you to scrub through a wavetable and dial in the perfect section to use while editing. And the automation of this with LFO's would make this the best pad machine around!

So, yes please, I would love to have this functionality!

LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

+1

EarthCryEarthCry Asheville NCPosts: 15

Oh yeah! this would be AMAZING for multiple reasons. Think scanning wavetables, there would def have to be some kind of smoothing thingy going on but yes this is SUCH a great idea

chvadchvad Brooklyn, NYBeta Tester Posts: 39

this would be great. the option for MIDI control is exactly the thing i was trying to do today.

www.controlledbleeding.com | www.chvad.com