Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

"Micro Timing" - (hold note & push-turn up/down knob)

hardwarecorehardwarecore wisconsinBeta Tester Posts: 22

Like on the Analog Rytm, shift notes forward or backward in very small increments. This would be much easier than having to zoom in and out to make a small, quick adjustment to a note's placement.

Comments

hardwarecorehardwarecore wisconsinBeta Tester Posts: 22

You are incredibly annoying, so I won't dignify you with any kind of serious response to that. Hopefully you'll catch on and act like an adult, just like everyone else has to do.

bracketsbrackets BarcelonaPosts: 25

+1

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

+1 for micro timing :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    MafooMafoo Posts: 53

this plus fine note length adjustments using the left right knob would be awesome.

DarkRayDarkRay CroatiaPosts: 3

Shifting notes or whole track for 0-15 ms back or forward is essential for getting the right groove. This is one of the best function in ableton live. Especialy if u use some preshifted claps or shakers for example. + 1 for micro timing.

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

alternatively i just un-quantize the record function.

nosepeoplenosepeople United StatesPosts: 49

+1

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

don't know about the Elektron, but on the Pyramid, the note offset is expressed in percentages. 0% is the current step ( at whatever zoom level you are ) -100% is the previous step, +100% is the next step. So you can make timing adjustment without having to constantly zoom in and out.

The offset is automatically calculated based on the zoom level, so a 25% offset at 16th is a 50% offset at 32th, and just falls on a step at 64th. The only annoying thing is that offsets are always expressed as a positive value from the previous step, instead of being relative to the closest step.

IMHO having a -5% ( slightly early ) offset from the current step is more musically relevant than 95% offset from the previous steps.

Like I mentioned on the other thread, I'd rather zoom in and see precisely where the note is relative to surrounding events, then have to only see the timing as a number, for one note at a time. The grid is a great display, let's use it.

Was thinking about this some more, and if we're going to get microtiming down to the live record level, zooming in that far probably isn't practical. I'd still like to see more zoom though, and the microtiming feature hopefully will work at every level of zoom.

MafooMafoo Posts: 53

I think this is a feature that is badly needed, and I disagree that using the zoom function is practical. It is a major pain to zoom in on long sequences and go page after page to find the notes you want to edit. I think it makes sense from a functionality standpoint to be able to nudge notes from any view level that allows to distinguish individual notes in a sequence. I also think you should be able to adjust note length in a similar manner - I have a separate request thread open for that topic - please bump it if you agree.

edited August 2018

I just realized, that there are only 12 sequencer ticks per 16th note (1).

Some way to access these ticks would be great. But if I'm right, full Elektron or Pyramid style microtiming is unlikely to happen.

This doesn't make the Deluge a bad device or a bad sequencer (I love the sequencer), but it's best to be realistic about expectations.

(1) based on unquantized recording being 192nd notes. 16 * 12 = 192. Maybe there's more resolution available under the hood, but I wouldn't count on it.

Post edited by nosepeople on
    mike505mike505 GermanyPosts: 8

+1 die microtiming.

@nosepeople: Probe me wrong 192 is exactly the same Resolution as cirklon uses. Pyramid has 96 afaik.

Cirklon is 192 ppqn - that's parts per quarter note.

Deluge is 192nd notes - that's 1/4 the resolution, or 48 ppqn.

The SOS review says the Pyramid is 96 ppqn. (Maybe that's why they use % microtuning, instead of actual ticks, to obscure the fact that the resolution is no better than an MPC 60 from 1988. They can't actually get 200 different locations at 64th note resolution (1600%, in Pyramid-speak) when they've only got 24 ticks to work with, can they. They can't even do it at 1/4 notes, where there are 96 ticks. But, I digress).

In any case, given the purpose and the sort of styles the Deluge is aimed at, I don't think the maximum resolution is a big issue. For a lot of users it will be a complete non-issue. Personally I double the tempo and use the 8th note zoom level as default (which at double tempo is 16th notes), and that yields 96 ppqn effectively, same as the MPC 60 and the Pyramid.

mike505mike505 GermanyPosts: 8

Thanks for correcting me. Numbers don't mean anything without the corresponding Management unit;).

For me it's Not Really an issues to only have 48ppqn. Good hint regarding the raise of speed to achieve higher Resolution.

mrrafsmrrafs ukPosts: 63

+1 with % late/early/all automation

luke_pankauluke_pankau AustraliaPosts: 13

+1

please also do the same with finely tuned note lengths!

definitiondefinition AustraliaPosts: 4

+1

punchedoutpunchedout United StatesPosts: 29

+1
    Also would like this included with finely note lengths.

BrettBrett Posts: 39

Yes please! +1

I love this in my Elektron gear. It can give it a very different feel in a section that is very different from using swing.

funkymothersfunkymothers LondonPosts: 48

@Mafoo said:
    I think this is a feature that is badly needed, and I disagree that using the zoom function is practical. It is a major pain to zoom in on long sequences and go page after page to find the notes you want to edit. I think it makes sense from a functionality standpoint to be able to nudge notes from any view level that allows to distinguish individual notes in a sequence. I also think you should be able to adjust note length in a similar manner - I have a separate request thread open for that topic - please bump it if you agree.

+1 from me and I agree it should be possible to do without having to zoom in.

Where is that post about adjusting mote length in a similar manner? I was about to post the same so would.like to up-vote (but couldn't find it!).

luke_pankauluke_pankau AustraliaPosts: 13

funky use the up arrows @ the top of the page

http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/comment/2227#Comment_2227

here's the fine tune note lengths thread

funkymothersfunkymothers LondonPosts: 48

@luke_pankau said:
    funky use the up arrows @ the top of the page

http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/comment/2227#Comment_2227

here's the fine tune note lengths thread

Thank you, @luke_pankau. I up-voted both and left a reply on your topic.

This discussion has been closed.