Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Thick / Distorted / Dirty sounds - what are the best methods to get?

VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USABeta Tester Posts: 129

I'm enjoying the clean sounds, but the opposite is also good. What do you suggest? ( Parameters, etc. )

Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
YouTube: VJFranzK

Comments

edisonSFedisonSF United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 18

i agree. the distortion on there is pretty nasty, but would love a more controllable option.

MafooMafoo Posts: 53

resample your sounds. With each iteration of the resample you can layer in more effects, saturate, add noise, layer in other sounds etc. Sky is the limit

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

FM sounds!

LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

I wish the existing FX could get a refinement in the next coming updates.. the distortions are stepped and so obvious. hard to use lightly and colorfully. the delay, the metering could be more accurate as all it takes to go halfway and it feedbacks like crazy maybe some synced delays?. more styles of reverb. maybe like a spreading much like the utility tool on Ableton. < that ones off topic

LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

I mean I never felt like it would be possible to produce professional sounding tracks from this. to me its a great compositional tool. what sort of music do you make @alien_brain ? is it really that hard to make music on this for you? I get that theres limitations.. but the Deluge must be doing SOMETHING positive to your work flow no?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    edited March 2018
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    tffshtttffshtt berlinPosts: 53

@alien_brain said:
    oh it has hella potential but ill not repeat myself here. fx do suck for a standalone, you have to admit. saturation? unusable in its current form. no compressor and only stereo out? really? but of course the gripes are what they should want to hear about. the deluge is not like a stage performance or an album or a book, its a tool for making music, which is either effective or its not. its not something that should be held in high regard no matter what in order to protect someones feelings, thats counter productive. criticism in all its ugly detail should be a welcome thing. if it holds water then its like a refinement not a diss. but of course it goes both ways and i personally believe that if you buy something and are the intended user audience then you have a right.... nay, a responsibility to pass criticism, and to be the recipient of communications regarding your purchase. how does anything get better but by criticism? theres a lot of thin skin here i can tell however.

I like the saturation, just goes to show you how subjective music / sound is. The only effect I really can't use is the reverb (large hall sounds like a large bathroom IMO) .

MafooMafoo Posts: 53

I agree. I rarely use it set higher than 2-3, and even then it can sound pretty distorted. A slightly more transparent saturation would be really nice to help liven up basses and such without mangling them,

chvadchvad Brooklyn, NYBeta Tester Posts: 39

personally i love how grimy the delays are.. especially with the distortion which i also dig on this thing. i wouldnt mind more control but hopefully not at the expense of how they already sound.

www.controlledbleeding.com | www.chvad.com

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247
    @chvad Yeah the delay is crazy. Affect entire with an Analog delay with more than 50% repeats and short delay times you can get some great sounds. Works best on drum sounds in Kit mode. :smile:
    pidgeopidgeo Ireland Posts: 2

the one thing I'd love added to the deluge is a really nice saturation / master saturation ala elektron digitone.
    it gives a really nice character n acts as a glue for the mix.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Agree, @pidgeo

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Yeah why not. I interpreted the suggestion as being congruous with that, to be clear and specific

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USABeta Tester Posts: 129

I understand the saturation and bitcrush now, I would wish for some other sonic "flavors" of distortion / noise.

Indeed we can't expect it to sound like the Elektrons' true analog distortion, but at least it's easier to program. ; - )

Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
    YouTube: VJFranzK