Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Interface idea for note repeat in “kit” mode (simple and logical)

Now, when you are in “kit” and press that “piano” button near “scale”, it is not activating anything, so there is a good empty space for note repeat function for drums or anything in the kit. Idea is: every grid button becomes time division of repetition horisontally for each of drums that are already located vertically (I mean corresponding to drums vertically). For example: you press lower left button in the grid and bass drum starts to play 2/4 beat, when you move your finger to the neighboring button on the right BD starts to play 4/4 an so on. So in such mode you can just press a “chord” and the whole drum kit will play from simple to polyrythmic stuff in one touch and you can record it.

Comments

KapusKapus MskPosts: 12

By the way trap/hiphop and future bass guys will be soooo happy with it :) techno guys too... everybody will be happy I think

KapusKapus MskPosts: 12

It will kill all that mpc/machine note repeat stuff simply because you`ll have up to 16 repeat varieties for up to 8 drums at the same time under your fingers ;)

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296
    +1
    Pretty good suggestion.
    hardwarecorehardwarecore wisconsinBeta Tester Posts: 22

I was kind of hoping that, eventually, maybe they would make that into a keyboard mode to play each sound in the kit chromatically. Like, you'd still have access to 8 drum sounds at once, but the 16 pads in that sound's row would play it at different pitches and you could adjust the pitch range that is displayed using the left/right encoder.

But this also sounds like a great idea, so you've got my upvote.

PhilPhil MontréalBeta Tester Posts: 105

This or an arp speed parameter per kit sound controlled by gold knob.

@hardwarecore said:
    I was kind of hoping that, eventually, maybe they would make that into a keyboard mode to play each sound in the kit chromatically. Like, you'd still have access to 8 drum sounds at once, but the 16 pads in that sound's row would play it at different pitches and you could adjust the pitch range that is displayed using the left/right encoder.

But this also sounds like a great idea, so you've got my upvote.

I would like to see a way to handle both keyboard view for kits and a note repeat view with different shortcuts.

RoJaFuRoJaFu GuernseyPosts: 4

An idea for note repeat implementation, included is a picture using 8 buttons for repeat values and the other 8 for volume levels. This is combined Note Repeat and Level implementation as found on some MPC's.

In the attached diagram, starting from the left, the Repeat section:
    Q - A latch which determines if the repeats get quantised.
    Triplets - A latch which switches to triplet timing
    One of the next 6 buttons can be latched at a time
    1/1 - Repeat once a bar
    1/2 - Repeat twice a bar
    1/4 - Repeat quarters notes
    1/8 - Repeat eight notes
    1/16 - Repeat eight notes
    1/32 - Repeat eight notes

The next 8 buttons are the volume section, pressing one button gives a midi velocity from the bottom row, pressing two buttons next to each other gives a volume between the two as indicated in the top row, allowing 15 volume levels.

This would allow all 8 samples with individual quantisations and volumes to be played simultaneously! Sure would beat Ableton Push, MPCs, Octatrack and anything else I've ever used.

You could have a quantised kick doing four on the floor, an un-quantised snare swinging between them, a quantised ride on sixteenths fluctuating in volume as you move a finger and anything else you can get to simultaneously.