Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Note off instead of note cut on track disable

Hi!

We've had a discussion about effect tails in another thread, but I feel this warrants its own suggestion: The main problem with pad patches at the moment is that you can't really use them in multiple tracks that you enable/disable to progress through different variations and/or chord progressions within a song, or even across multiple songs. This is NOT about the effect tail, but about the note itself!

What happens now is that if you disable a track with a pad synth sound, the notes are cut off and all sound stops abruptly. What I'd like to see is the default behavior to change to NOTE OFF instead, letting the ADSR-envelope of the patch continue instead of just nulling the output immediately. This would allow natural progressions from one track to another.

As it is implemented now, I have to resort to external synths to be able to do any kind of "serious" sequencing with the deluge, which I think is a huge waste because I am seriously in love with the simple but capable onboard synth! Plus I don't want to lug around a D-05 just because I'm using a pad in a song somewhere.

So please, please, consider implementing this change, if not as default then at least as an option. Maybe the act of disabling a track could be changed so that if you press a certain combination while doing so, track deactivation happens via note off instead of note cut. So people who want to keep the current behavior could still do so.

Comments

rawticksrawticks CanadaPosts: 2

I agree with your suggestion. Maybe you could set that in the settings somewhere. Muting MIDI instead of audio would be excellent.

ToumalToumal AustriaPosts: 18

Thanks. Do you guys think I should upload a video illustrating the problem?

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

the problem has been discussed multiple times before. sure its unlikely to follow the history, no blame. happy u mention it.

there is workaround for the effect tail (add empty clone track) but there is no way at all to have “hanging notes” if a track gets muted.

yes, it should be note off instead of audio mute. plus id surely prefer if a note continues to play on track mute. at least if i switch track clones. i understand it might be hard to implement now but i feel the way effects and notes get cut is a rare use case.

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    External effects would only help if your patch can rely in reverb instead of ADSR to carry the tail. And as for how hard this is to implement, it depends. All my Elektron gear did this by default for example. They always assume you don't want any sudden cuts unless you tell it to cut. The default should be note off.

At the moment there is only one workaround: copy tracks into one super long track which has all the variations you need in a song or set. After that you simply cannot do any meaningful editing though.

@Toumal said:
    At the moment there is only one workaround: copy tracks into one super long track which has all the variations you need in a song or set. After that you simply cannot do any meaningful editing though.

no, its not the only workaround. i've repeated this a few times, dont know maybe i dont get it..
    say you got 2 sections and 2 tracks. track 1 plays a synth with reverb, its the first section
    track 2 is the second section with a different synth
    you want to switch off section 1 and switch on section 2, the reverb should not be could cut off, how to do?
    clone track 1, remove all notes and assign it to section 2
    now if you switch sections the reverb is not cut off.
    you may need to adjust the reverb effect param in the empty clone track

works for the effect tail. not for notes lasting longer than the last page of a track.

I think we're talking about two different things, as you noted in your last sentence ;)

Yes, if you use reverb, you can use the solution you describe to make the reverb not being cut off. However, I have a few lovely synth pads that can't rely on reverb alone, they use a long release tail (plus some reverb). The issue is that even if you use the same instrument and a cloned track, switching between these two tracks results in the release of the last notes to be cut off. The reverb survives (given it's a cloned track and no changes to the effects were made), but the note cut is very noticeable.

Right now, what I do is I just sample all the tracks and use external solutions to assemble a song. Which essentially means that pads can't be performed live on the Deluge right now.

I've been using a lot of Elektron gear in the past and they got this down perfectly. Note cut is something you can do, but you have to do it consciously. It's great to have as an option, but not as the only option ;)

tffshtttffshtt berlinPosts: 53

oh yes please! Have exactly the same issue

@Toumal said:
    I think we're talking about two different things, as you noted in your last sentence ;)

did not mean to say it should not get fixed. totally agree note cut is one of the dark spots of the Deluge.

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JahraJahra Posts: 17

so true!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This has been bothering me to no end, and 2.0.0 has finally brought with it not only a good arranger mode, but also proper note off support. This means I can FINALLY rely entirely on in-device synths if I want to, even for pads!

Thank you so much!!