Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

usb midi host?

Im hoping to build a custom midi controller (its gonna take me a while im very new to arduino stuff ) can any body tell me who has a USB midi controller if the deluge is a USB midi host. First stages of planning and im trying to see if ill go 5 pin or USB connector . USB midi seems easier for the absolute beginner

Best Answers

HorstmaistaHorstmaista Los AngelesPosts: 56
    Answer ✓
    I'm just looking into this too. I'd say that 5 pin is actually easier. For USB you need a USB shield. Was playing with both options yesterday and was struggling to get USB working. If I got it right then it gets translated from USB into a serial stream first and pushed into the same 'stream' 5pin comes through naturally. Ended up switching over to 5pin and that's mostly working for now.
    fryyyyfryyyy germanyPosts: 161
    Answer ✓

I used a Kenton USB host. But eventually I realised I needed more control to filter midi channels via USB.
    So this is probably the best option because its programmable:
    http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/09/26/bomebox-midi-hub-router-now-shipping/

Answers

RandomAztecRandomAztec IrelandPosts: 108

i have a sparkfun pro micro board that allows midi over USB, but im going to get a full UNO and go with the 5 pin method. i hope to build a controller with some faders to control ASDR on both envelopes and a selection of pots for mapping to filter cutoffs etc. Im not sure if ill be limited by the number of inputs to the boards .. as stated above im an absolute beginner

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

You cannot use the Deluge as USB host to connect a USB keyboard for example. USB
    Deluge is USB slave, and it cannot act as USB master.
    This Master+Slave means that the USB hardware on each end is different. I have read somewhere that there is special hardware to enable a slave to act as master, dont know.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

RandomAztecRandomAztec IrelandPosts: 108
    On the end I'm going with a raspberry pi with a pisound hat. I'll build the controller with the pro micro and programme it using the pi maybe in pure data. The pi sound is great I'm a total nogive and in about 1 week I have mutable instruments grids running a drumbrute using a modified organelle grids pd patch.
    StromerStromer GermanyPosts: 55

I programed some Midi editors with Logic's environment including random sounds and fadergroups but I recognized yesterday that you can only assign 10 parameter to the Deluge before it says "FULL". And many functions ar not assignable (CANT). That was a little bit frustrating but maybe they will realize a full Midi implementation to all sound- and fx-parameters.

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292

My Blokas Midihub has just arrived: I am trying to run its Editor on WIN via USB and the Deluge on another USB Port....even with virtual MIDI cables (MIDIOX) I can´t get it to work.
    I guess the problem is that both are just MIDI devices, none can act as a MIDI host.