Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Which mic do you use?

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Want to buy a 3.5mm mic, not sure what to get. The setup has to stay battery powered. Would like to record voice and doing experimental field recording.

• Can I use multiple mics at once?
  • Would like to experiment with piezo / contact mics. Recommendations?
  • General recommendations

Thanks

Comments

FASTFAST CaliforniaPosts: 47

Why not just get a hand-held field recorder? Most mics are going to require some kind of preamp and a decent field recorder could be had for what it would cost you to put together a battery-powered preamp and a pair of stereo condenser mics and all. A Zoom H4n Pro would do all of the above for $200 and you can plug any type of mic/instrument into it and leave the Deluge at home when you are field recording that lightning storm.

thanks for the idea, rather looking for mics that make a good fit with Deluge. doesnt have to be pro gear.

tffshtttffshtt berlinPosts: 53

sony ecm-ms907... a little noisier than the onboard but also louder and stereo...very compact and you can change the stereo image on the mic. Very compact and batteries last a long time...just about a perfect match for the deluge.

dest4bdest4b Frankfurt, GermanyPosts: 98

i also reactivated my old Sony Sony ECM-MS907 .. brilliant microphone btw .. :smiley:

www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

MafooMafoo Posts: 53

I got an XLR to 1/8th inch adapter and have been using a Shure SM58. I have not messed around with it much but it did work, surprisingly.

thanks guys

VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USABeta Tester Posts: 129

Are the internal volume levels enough to not require a preamp?

( I used to use Mic-in on my Electribe ESX for vocals, and I would repeat it on Deluge. )

Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
    YouTube: VJFranzK

MafooMafoo Posts: 53

It would probably be a good idea if you want really clean sounding recordings. Using the SM58 with the XLR-->1/8 inch cable worked ok, but it is not ideal. I think it worked because the deluge normalizes the recordings. If you want a better signal to noise ratio on your recordings you will probably need to amp up.