Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge is a great synth but development is too slow

magneticummagneticum Posts: 32

Hello.
I have Deluge, Digitone&Digitakt, MPC One and of course computer with logic pro x and I have bitwig also.
I sent email to Synthstrom already, but I want to post the idea here.
Deluge is really great, fast workflow after you learn it.
But Deluge lacks some necessary features like stereowidth/second reverb/compressor. Also it has some problems with sound engine, sounds like synth from the past. Design - I would also like to have smth more stylish, modern looking.
I like it also because of its size, it is compact, also I think they could make it more compact, since it has some more space inside to compress.

What I think is that development of software (and hardware) is very very slow since they have only one person working on it. I understand, it is a boutique production etc.
But I like Deluge and would like that it would be better both software and hardware. I think it would be better if they hire sound designers to create modern sounding drum kits and synths (maybe after improving synth engines).

Of course you can stay as it is now, and everyone will have his answer on what I wrote.
But I think if they push the software and hardware development forward Deluge could be #1 of hardware synths.

Maybe they do not have money for development or maybe their strategy is different from what I think it should be... I do not know.
Maybe they need some help from us, e.g. if you can create quality songs you need to advertise it to show people that Deluge is capable of big things and it would help Synthstrom to go further in development of software and hardware.... I do not know....

Post edited by magneticum on

Comments

staubistaubi Erlangen/GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 62

I agree to your wishes for improvements of the FX section.
    But I disagree to your general statement. I think synthstrom audible does an extraordinary job in fixing bugs and releasing new software versions. I bought my (used) deluge in June 2019 and it has received more than 5 firmware updates since then. I see do not see any other company taking care and releasing software that often.

• sounds: discussed in this forum before. The boards of deluge sets are great.
    • features: permanent discussion in this forum. I prefer Synthstrom audible to focus one hardware and doing a good job here.
    • what if they do not want to be the #1 synth company in the world? We already have a big copycat B with loads of money in the market. We need small companies with unique products in the market. Synthstrom is a good example.

Brass side of life: JTK

magneticummagneticum Posts: 32
    edited July 2020

sounds: discussed in this forum before. The boards of deluge sets are great.

I bought before some time the 3d edition of those presets, they sound nice.
    I also made some synth samples with Sylenth1 and added stereo width correction to sound well in the mix.... that is ok
    We have something, but in general it still lacks sounds

what if they do not want to be the #1 synth company in the world?

that is also ok, but I would have approach to the general concept like the USA and not like USSR.
    The company and its synth is not a goal, the goal is clients satisfaction. That is why I think I could ask improvements that seem for me in demand. And to be #1 is also not a bad idea, because Deluge is really unique device.

Post edited by magneticum on
    hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

The "sounds like the synths of the past" comment reminded me of a previous discussion.

I still have no idea what "modern sound" is, or how it's different from old sounds, and you obviously want the Deluge to be more of the former. I wonder if Rohan could program something into one of the gold knobs, varying the sound from 1950's sound to the present as you twist it. Heck, when you turn it up to 11, you could even hear the future!

I'm kidding, possibly a little bit ungently. But as a sampler, resampler, and overall sound-mangler, the Deluge a lot of fun. It's a pretty "basic" synth in a way, but with all of the modulation possibilities, it's actually got a lot of depth. I really like the stock drum kits, actually, and with the addition of the 66 kits pack, you're basically set. I don't care much for wavetables, but they seem to be on the horizon too.

And as a scratchpad for working out songs, groovebox++, or live platform, it's also very capable. It's definitely got the most functionality in one box that I've seen, and all very hands-on once you learn it.

I've had mine for less than a year, and there's been crazy functionality updates in that time, not to mention the bug fixes. Can't complain on that front either.

The reverb isn't to-die-for sweet, but it gets the job done. Sidechain on the volume isn't exactly compression, but it's a lot more flexible than a simple compressor because you can pass the sidechain to other destinations. You can do the French disco pump, though, if that's the sound you're after.

It has tradeoffs, strengths, and weaknesses, for sure. My feeling is that one of the things that makes the Deluge unique is that it's a passion project of a couple people, rather than a synth designed by committee. I'm not sure that trying to design for "the customer" would have ended up with a better piece of gear.

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

@hexagon5un said:
    It has tradeoffs, strengths, and weaknesses, for sure. My feeling is that one of the things that makes the Deluge unique is that it's a passion project of a couple people, rather than a synth designed by committee. I'm not sure that trying to design for "the customer" would have ended up with a better piece of gear.

I fully agree and a lot of the software "FX weak spots" could be easily solved/workarounded with a nice audio bounce like in this feature request from March 2018 described "Complete Audio / Midi Bouncing - Ableton export" http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/736/complete-audio-midi-bouncing-ableton-export/p1

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin