Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Did anyone replace the deluge wood cheeks with 3D printed - colourful - ones?

I'm a bit tired of wood cheeks on synth hardware... Aren't you?

I think it is possible to replace the ones on deluge with punchy blue, red, yellow or pink(!!) 3D printed side panels.

Before digging deeper into this (total newbie in 3D print) and asking Synthstrom for the exact dimensions of the panels, I'd like to know if someone has tried this already? Or has someone on the forum access to a 3D printer and wouldn't mind to give it a try against payment?

It looks like the swap is not very difficult once you have a a 1.5mm allen (hex) key.

Let me know!

Comments

MetamereMetamere United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 20

Since it's my first synth, I'm actually not tired of the wood cheeks at all. On the contrary, it's plastic devices that I'm a bit tired of. I actually quite like the look and feel of the wood on it. And wood is a renewable resource, after all. I have a 3D printer, and I can see how there could be some benefit to using it to replace the wood panels if you were incorporating some other features into it, such as a handle, extra ports, stand mounts, sculptural forms and details, etc. If you absolutely need them in another color, paint is always an option, and you'd probably have an easier time matching to other things than with 3D printer filament (some materials can be painted, too). I have a 3D printer, and it is just big enough to make a replacement part. It may be somewhat involved of a process, depending on how things are mounted internally. Threaded inserts may have to be embedded into the plastic. And unless you design the changes carefully, then the decksaver and case may no longer fit. If money is no object, I could certainly hook you up with whatever you want, as I'm a mechanical design engineer who does 3D printing as one of my hobbies, although if you wanted to get into 3D printing yourself, it's more accessible now than ever before thanks to good hardware and software design, support, and a helpful community. The Prusa Mk3s that I have is a great printer at a great price, especially when you build it from the kit. The $350 mini version would be ideal for you, since its 18 x 18 x 18 cm build volume is just big enough to fit the 209 x 33 mm panels on the bed (although you could make them a bit bigger or smaller as desired, up to about 45 mm wide). There are cheaper printers out there, but they are often way too much hassle to work with. Prusa printers are the best value. And for the design of the parts, Autodesk's Fusion 360 software would do the job quite nicely, and is completely free for hobbyists. It's fairly easy to get into and also has a lot of tutorials out there. If you are able to handle the design aspect of it and can just send me the 3D model to print, I would be happy to make you the parts for the cost of the material and S&H. If the parts are mirror images of each other, I can print them both from one side. I can do heat-set threaded inserts as well. I didn't see any Deluge parts on the popular 3D model sharing sites, by the way.

neilbaldwinneilbaldwin UKBeta Tester Posts: 143

I removed mine, trimmed them down a bit (with a wood file) and painted them black (and replaced the knobs with silver ones).

ClimaxGravelyClimaxGravely VancouverPosts: 7

@neilbaldwin said:
    I removed mine, trimmed them down a bit (with a wood file) and painted them black (and replaced the knobs with silver ones).

Wow that looks awesome. Great work!

AutomaticFormAutomaticForm United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 12

@neilbaldwin said:

This looks amazing, can you tell me where you got the silver knobs?

@AutomaticForm said:

@neilbaldwin said:

This looks amazing, can you tell me where you got the silver knobs?

I honestly can't remember. I did post about it maybe on Facebook when I was on there (it's been a while!) - maybe someone on the group could help track it down but I'm pretty sure I removed all of my posts and content when I quit.

If I find anything I'll post it here.

rootnoderootnode JapanBeta Tester Posts: 12

Wow...that is just beautiful.

NaenynNaenyn United StatesPosts: 14

That does look great! I can’t decide if I like it more than the factory look or not, though. I had thought about replacing the knobs on mine... This thread definitely gives me more to think about.

Robber40Robber40 DohaPosts: 2

Not a replacement... just but an easy removable desktop stand :)

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292

did not replace the wood cheeks but found a nice sticker <3

impurfektimpurfekt USAPosts: 22

This thread just inspired me to re-stain my end cheeks. Dark walnut incoming...

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

@Robber40 said:

Love that stand idea. STLs anywhere?

pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 165

@neilbaldwin said:

I did a similar thing- painted the end pieces, changed the knobs. I decided on all black knobs and I didn't file down the wood, I painted it gray. But your Deluge looks nicer, especially the reshaping of the end pieces, the matte finish, and the silver knobs instead of black. Although I'm not so great at these kind of diy projects, I still prefer the new look of my Deluge to the original gold/light wood.
    Your Deluge looks really sharp.

@pfrf said:

@neilbaldwin said:

I did a similar thing- painted the end pieces, changed the knobs. I decided on all black knobs and I didn't file down the wood, I painted it gray. But your Deluge looks nicer, especially the reshaping of the end pieces, the matte finish, and the silver knobs instead of black. Although I'm not so great at these kind of diy projects, I still prefer the new look of my Deluge to the original gold/light wood.
    Your Deluge looks really sharp.

Cheers!
    It's not for everyone and no offence intended to Synthstrom but I just have a hatred for wooden side panels. Also it always bugged me that the side were raised making it a bit awkward (for me) when playing the pads on the edge as the wodden part got in the way.
    My filed down ones are a little bit wonky (just drew a pencil line on and filed them by hand) but it came out OK overall.

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418
    edited July 2020

@neilbaldwin said:

I'm working on a stand system on my own, care to share at what angle your stands? Here an rough sketch of what I imagined:
    both

Post edited by volsteh on

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

edited July 2020

@volsteh said:
    I'm working on a stand system on my own, care to share at what angle your stands?

I'm pretty sure I made them 45 degrees. Here's a screngrab of the drawing file:

Edit: actually that's one of the old revisions but I don't think the angle changed from the drawing to the one in the photo.

Post edited by neilbaldwin on

Check out this wooden cheeks replacement
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=6jKFOb_XiUs

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

@Robber40 said:

I just wanted to say that I bought one of these and it's lovely. Thanks Torsten!

WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 236
    edited February 2021

Does this count as an alternate framework?????

(I pedal to generate the power while I'm making music)

Post edited by Will on

WOW man :D

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

@Will said:

No, it's a work of art. Just amazing B)

FrenchFrench United StatesPosts: 10

What a cool thread! I'm loving what you guys are doing with it <3

@djAzid said:

@Will said:

No, it's a work of art. Just amazing B)

Wow, thanks so much.
    I'm actually just now moving to the next phase of my project - building my Deluge, and a Novation Launchpad X (as a midi controller) into the wood, so that it's inset......

Painted the cheeks with black wood stain, inspired from squarekid (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGL7lMwzqO7q5LGZNtgrj6A)

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@Will said:

(I pedal to generate the power while I'm making music)

That is so damn awesome haha

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

squarekidsquarekid MichiganBeta Tester Posts: 1

@volsteh said:
    Painted the cheeks with black wood stain, inspired from squarekid (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGL7lMwzqO7q5LGZNtgrj6A)

Looks great!

Just updated my pedal powered rig.....now the Deluge (& other gear) is inset in the woodwork.....

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@Will said:
    Just updated my pedal powered rig.....now the Deluge (& other gear) is inset in the woodwork.....

Even more awesome! :smiley:

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

@Icoustik said:

@Will said:

Even more awesome! :smiley:

Thanks Icoustik. Things are finally starting to come together with this project......thanks again for helping me with my volume/velocity issues a while back - resolved the problem completely. peace

@Will said:

That's mind-blowing! 👏🏻

@neilbaldwin said:

@Will said:

That's mind-blowing! 👏🏻

Thanks Neil.....It's just about finished. I'm just waiting for a Microcosm, which I'll be putting the 10 brass bells through. I generally pedal it every night (instead of going to the gym) and create ambient stuff.