Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

A Small Change to Note Repeat and We Have Euclidean Sequencing....

I woke up the other morning with an idea in my head that I was excited to try out. Because of how the note repeat function works, I thought I could make a looping pattern of just a single note, slow the temp riiiight down, and bam - you've got a Euclidean sequencer. Unfortunately, it doesn't work because the note repeat only works on notes that take up a single column space - and it's impossible to get a single note loop on a single column space because the Deluge automatically zooms in. If you use the note repeat function on a note that extends across several pads, the repeats only play on the first pad (eg 1/4 of the note).

So I guess the specific request is either A. Let note repeat work on notes that extend across several pads (this would allow you to create a Euclidean sequencer that's at the right speed) or B. Let us zoom out from single-note loops, so that the beat repeat function works on them, giving us a Euclidian sequencer but one that's only usable at very slow clock speeds (bit of a hack...but could be fun as a little easter egg!)

Comments

Go4teggsGo4teggs New YorkPosts: 7

I was going to make a post about multi-pad note repeat! I also think that would be super cool for weird time signature stuff. The workaround I've been using is shift-clicking to zoom out / increase the resolution as much as possible, then using the note repeat when I'm really zoomed out.

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

My understanding of the Euclidean sequencing thing is that it's fitting N notes into M beats as evenly as possible, while still having each note fall on the beat. The way the note repeat works is to just jam a full set of N notes into N (sub-) beats.

Which is to say -- there's not the pauses / gaps that make most of the Euclidean beats work. IMO.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@Go4teggs said:
    I was going to make a post about multi-pad note repeat! I also think that would be super cool for weird time signature stuff. The workaround I've been using is shift-clicking to zoom out / increase the resolution as much as possible, then using the note repeat when I'm really zoomed out.

How does your workaround work? Dont get what you mean with shift-click to zoom out. Looking forwards to the multipad repeat post, could not figure that out either yet :)

DamaseneDamasene MontrealPosts: 9
    edited June 2020

@hexagon5un said:
    My understanding of the Euclidean sequencing thing is that it's fitting N notes into M beats as evenly as possible, while still having each note fall on the beat. The way the note repeat works is to just jam a full set of N notes into N (sub-) beats.

Which is to say -- there's not the pauses / gaps that make most of the Euclidean beats work.

Ah yeah you're right. I was thinking Euclidean sequencing just evenly spread notes out across a measure but of course that's not correct.

Still, if you had multi-pad repeat, that could be how it worked. That would be a neat and flexible way to implement a Euclidean sequencer!

Post edited by Damasene on