Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

50 steps and finetuning

There are a lot discussions about the 50 steps decision for nearly all parameters. How about extending the display to the 127 standard Midi values, while the knob still reacts like 50ish steps (127/2) . And as soon you old down e.g. Shift or any other knob you can finetune the parameter you want.?
There is for example still the noise parameter that strikes in suddenly and you have no chance to blend it gentle in your sound.

So why not add a finetune feature?

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

Comments

moosiqpiplmoosiqpipl Frankfurt am Main, GermanyPosts: 24
    edited May 2020

I would prefer a general migration to a higher resulution for parameter values. Rtelevant parameters for presets and patterns could be transformed during a firmware update.

A 50 step resolution is unsusual, abstract and in many cases definitely not resolutive enough. 127 steps as a de-facto standard is the minimum way to go. For some parameters absolute values would make even more sense (e.g. ms for time-dependent parameters like EG).

Post edited by moosiqpipl on

((qp))

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

I'm ok with the weird 50 (broken calculator 0-127/2) steps and live performance in mind. But there should be a way to dial in exact values as well. Especially when it comes to fades from silent to noisy.

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

I think this article is helpful on this topic
    https://synthandsoftware.com/2020/06/why-we-need-midi-2-0/

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@moosiqpipl said:
    I would prefer a general migration to a higher resulution for parameter values. Rtelevant parameters for presets and patterns could be transformed during a firmware update.

A 50 step resolution is unsusual, abstract and in many cases definitely not resolutive enough. 127 steps as a de-facto standard is the minimum way to go. For some parameters absolute values would make even more sense (e.g. ms for time-dependent parameters like EG).

All the parameters that can be learned to goldknobs/ midi CC's are in fact 127 steps, and the gold knobs and midi knobs behave as such. The 50-range on screen is like a "shortcut" range with the Select knob.
    Its incomplete though, I agree, and a better fine tuning option would be nice in addition indeed, as suggested.

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

moosiqpiplmoosiqpipl Frankfurt am Main, GermanyPosts: 24

@Icoustik said:

@moosiqpipl said:

All the parameters that can be learned to goldknobs/ midi CC's are in fact 127 steps, and the gold knobs and midi knobs behave as such. The 50-range on screen is like a "shortcut" range with the Select knob.
    Its incomplete though, I agree, and a better fine tuning option would be nice in addition indeed, as suggested.

Oh yes, we had that subject already ;)
    http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/comment/10437/#Comment_10437

((qp))