Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

USB Hub Connectivity - Deluge as a USB Host

Tricep3Tricep3 United KingdomPosts: 20

Hi everyone,

The manual suggests that the deluge can host up to 4 devices via a usb hub.

Has anyone managed to get 4 devices connected to the deluge using a usb hub? Did anyone get it working for sending and receiving midi information from the deluge? If so what usb hub did you use?

I've tried 2 different USB hubs now. Both are mains powered so provide plenty of power for all my devices. For one hub I get midi connectivity on 2/7 usb ports i.e. 2 specific ports and not the other 5. And for another hub I get 3/7 ports working.

I've tested both USB hubs when connected to a PC using midi message detection software and all connected devices power up and send midi messages fine.

This makes me think it's a Deluge specific problem where only certain ports on the usb hub are detected for data transfer. For both of the hubs I tested it's the 2 or 3 ports on one end on the hubs that work. Maybe it's to do with the line impedance the usb hub detects from the deluge that only allows data transfer on the certain ports? I'm not sure.

Any help or suggestions to get it working would be appreciated.

Cheers

Answers

LowclefLowclef FrancePosts: 4

Hi,

I also bought a USB HUB (from Transcend) and tried to use it with the Deluge but it does not work at all in my case... I tested it on my computer and it worked perfectly (all ports) so I guess the problem also comes from the Deluge itself. I'm sorry it doesn't help you at all but I just wanted to share my experience too.

beakerbeaker AdelaideBeta Tester Posts: 44

Hi, most usb hubs with more than 4 ports are actually two hubs inside - one connected to a port of the first. This alas makes some of the ports appear as a hub-in-a-hub to the Deluge, which it doesn't support.

You can test this by plugging your hub(s) into a PC or Mac and looking at Device Manager or System Report. These will both show which ports are daisy-chained (ie, one connected to a child of the other)

I've got three 4 port hubs and they all work fine b.t.w.

Hi Beaker,

Thanks for your reply. Is there a way of telling before you buy whether the ports are daisy chained or not?

What brand/make are the hubs that you have that work?

I feel like Synthstrom should publish a list of usb hubs that work properly with the Deluge since it isn't easy as plug and play with any hub.

Cheers

SanktDSanktD Beta Tester Posts: 9

In case anyone is still interested:

Thanks for your reply. Is there a way of telling before you buy whether the ports are daisy chained or not?

Yeah on a mac you just look up System Report, Hardware, USB, and you'll see the USB hub. I have a 7 port hub, after looking it up in the system report, turns out the last 4 (unpowered) are chained to the first 3 (powered), so when plugged in the deluge, only the first 3 are found and usable.

What brand/make are the hubs that you have that work?

Mine is a tp link:
    https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/usb-hub/uh700/

The 3 ports that work, work well. I have a USB keyboard, a launch control XL, and a Midihub attached.

I feel like Synthstrom should publish a list of usb hubs that work properly with the Deluge since it isn't easy as plug and play with any hub.

I bet it's hard to know without having each device on hand to test. Maybe just have a sub-list on the same page that has the list of usb controllers that work, and people can add which hubs are working for them, and to what extent.

Hope that helps.

Hi SanktD,

Thanks for your reply - I've already got a hub where 3/7 of the ports are working when using the deluge as a host, like you describe for your TP link hub. I would like to plug 4 devices into the hub and have them all midi connected to the deluge as a host. So I'd be interested in a hub that someone has successfully connected this many devices to.

Cheers

beakerbeaker AdelaideBeta Tester Posts: 44

Any hub that has 3x+1 ports (other than a simply 4 port hub) is likely to be internally daisy-chained.
    This is why there a plethora of cheap 7, 10 and 13 ports out there !

So I'd stick with 4 port only for now. All three that I've tried that are 4 port work just fine.

flocoloresflocolores Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 9

I just stumbled across this post because my cheap powered 4-port USB hub wouldn't let me use more than two devices with the Deluge. Seems like it's trial&error with these things... To spare you the same pain, I can recommend this one, which works (using Launchpad XL, Midi Fighter Twister, Akai MPX16 and a Microlab Keyboard 25):
    Primewire USB 3.2 Gen1 Hub, about 25€ on Amazon. I also like that it's tiny and is using a USB cable for powering.