Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Programming in pitch bends?

xsterxster San FranciscoPosts: 22

Sorry I've been asking a lot of questions :) Though since I'm somewhat guessing this is a common use, it might be beneficial to others since I can't find existing questions on this.

How can I program in a pitch bend automation? To create a string bend or slide effect. I know I can live record it with MIDI pitch bends but I couldn't figure out how to do it manually in the sequencer.

I guess it could be worked around (for synths) using portamento. But I also don't want to affect the entire clip for cases where I specifically want polyphony and some other times I want a slide.

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@xster said:

Good question.
    Related http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/67/poly-mode-or-how-do-i-create-a-303-slide-glissando

Short: I use realtime record for that

Long:
    Midi Pitchbend cannot be automated per step, only recorded live. You can step automate Portamento, Tranpose or Modulation amount (e.g. Envelope->Transpose modulation amount). Which gives tons of interesting effects, I also heavily use the silent trigs trick

Never found something with step automation that gets me "that slide effect" I can get with realtime record. Maybe others have had more success with programming slides.

alphaminusalphaminus United StatesPosts: 44

I make 303 style slides by using portamento and legato polyphony.