Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge as a clock for external instruments

I'm currently using the Deluge as the heart of my rig powering two TD-3's and an Erica Synths Techno System I also have an Organelle but that doesn't want to play with anyone so sits on the desk as an effects pedal now and again. I'm struggling to keep the whole shebang it in time and when I mute certain clips on the Deluge, the timing goes right out with the Modular? Is there a way of getting these things tighter in the mix without the nudge function which doesn't really do much in my experience, I'd rather nail the consistency down so they all start at the same time.
I'm midi into the TD-3's and Gate 4 into clock of the Techno System.
Apart from this I'm having a glorious time and happy with the set up as it is so any advice for an noob would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

WingatuiWingatui AustraliaPosts: 8

Do you perhaps need to have a click track (say a 4/4 kick drum with volume turned down) playing at all times to keep sending your timing to the modular gear? Not sure how all the modular/CV stuff works to be honest just a thought. Or maybe try plugging a 9-12v DC power supply into the Deluge and see if that helps?

JakeJake UKPosts: 5

@Wingatui said:
    Do you perhaps need to have a click track (say a 4/4 kick drum with volume turned down) playing at all times to keep sending your timing to the modular gear? Not sure how all the modular/CV stuff works to be honest just a thought. Or maybe try plugging a 9-12v DC power supply into the Deluge and see if that helps?

Thanks. I've got the power supply already and that isn't helping. The midi in on the Erica Sequencer makes it move around even worse than a gate from the Deluge as that keeps it consistently behind the beat, at least!
    I've been mulling getting a ERM Multi Clock but theyre like 429GBP so will only get if I can't solve the problem. Even a global nudge function would work so I could sync up the tempos so long as they were consistent. I've asked Erica Synths and they suggested Midi in which actually, as I've just said, is worse.

When you say a CV, I will try it although I'm using both CV's on the Eurorack running a Treadstone and a Basimilus Iteritas Alter so would need to get a mult CV cable perhaps?
    Anyway, I'll need to do my homework a bit more before shelling out on the ERM Multiclock.

Tried the CV idea but that's not helping as it turns the Techno System on but out of time and it won't stop!

I'm guessing the best way will be to midi it up and nudge it into sync although the nudge could do to be a smaller increment if thats possible?

joeshjoesh BrusselsPosts: 67
    edited September 2021

Just wondering if you ever solved the problem? I'm having similar problems (see further down).

Firstly, I imagine you checked the instructions:

If you wish to use the Deluge as a syncing leader to send a trigger clock signal to other devices, gate output 4 can be set to output a trigger clock signal, and / or gate 3 can be set to output a “run” signal (goes high while playback is occurring; low otherwise)

I wonder if you might need a run signal too?

As for me, I was hoping to use the Deluge to be the master clock for a 1010 Bitbox Micro. However, I'm not sure it's working, I'll have to do some more tests, but at present I don't see anything changing in tempo. The instructions in the Deluge manual sort of stop before explaining what needs setting up via the various menus. If I understand correctly, the Global settings in the Deluge need to be:

SELECT/Shift > Gate > Out 4 > Clock > followed by > TClock > Output > PPQN

If you solved it (Jake), or someone has some experience sending clock to modular, I'd love to hear from you. Maybe you can correct my misunderstanding, or confirm that what I've posted 'should' work.

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by joesh on
    KushoKusho Christchurch, NZBeta Tester Posts: 17

Thanks that was just what I was looking for.

@joesh said:
    Just wondering if you ever solved the problem? I'm having similar problems (see further down).

Firstly, I imagine you checked the instructions:

If you wish to use the Deluge as a syncing leader to send a trigger clock signal to other devices, gate output 4 can be set to output a trigger clock signal, and / or gate 3 can be set to output a “run” signal (goes high while playback is occurring; low otherwise)

I wonder if you might need a run signal too?

As for me, I was hoping to use the Deluge to be the master clock for a 1010 Bitbox Micro. However, I'm not sure it's working, I'll have to do some more tests, but at present I don't see anything changing in tempo. The instructions in the Deluge manual sort of stop before explaining what needs setting up via the various menus. If I understand correctly, the Global settings in the Deluge need to be:

SELECT/Shift > Gate > Out 4 > Clock > followed by > TClock > Output > PPQN

If you solved it (Jake), or someone has some experience sending clock to modular, I'd love to hear from you. Maybe you can correct my misunderstanding, or confirm that what I've posted 'should' work.

Thanks in advance.

joeshjoesh BrusselsPosts: 67
    edited June 2022

@Kusho said:
    Thanks that was just what I was looking for.

Glad that my post helped, although reading it back now, it looks very confusing. However, I also realised later (with the help of @Too_Mere) that I'd overlooked the Clock input - somehow :o. As I say in another post (see here) I think the manual isn't really very clear, and with a few simple grammatical changes, could be clearer and save a lot of confusion.

So, as for the rest, I happily now run and slave the Deluge as a clock (both for MIDI and for my modular system), so if you still need help leave a comment and I can update you on what settings I use.

Post edited by joesh on
    psylenspsylens USPosts: 6

I just finally got around to trying this myself (had mine a few years), and it's not working. I hope i am doing something wrong, but i've followed the instructions above: TClock output is PPQN - i've tried several PPQN amounts (48, 24, 16, 8, 4, 1), Gate 4 is set to output a clock, and i have tried it going into Pam's new workout, Ornaments & Crime, and ES-8 (see below).

I've also tried switching the Gate volts to 5v and 12v. I've also tried it with the Deluge slaved to a midi clock, and self-clocked. When it's self-clocked, i see a "flash of activity" (See next paragraph) at Pam and O&C when starting - as the clock output starts, but quits. When it's Midi-clock-slaved, i don't see any activity when the transport is started from the midi clock master (however the Deluge does start playing).

Analysis of "flash of activity" of the clock output: I ran the clock output from gate 4 into my ES-8 and into a scope in VCV Rack. It is sending the first half of a quarter note's worth of gates, stops sending gates (line goes flat): so if PPQN is set to 24, i see 12 gates, and so-on - at 16 PPQN i see 8, 8->4, 4 -> 2.

I'm running firmware ver 4.0.0. Please tell me i'm doing something wrong, or perhaps there is something else to try.

AbortRetryFailAbortRetryFail FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 61

There was a thread about this before where I tested mine on an oscilloscope. Let me see if I can find it...

Plant_MemoriesPlant_Memories South AfricaPosts: 1

I recall someone mentioning gate 4 cv doesn't send clock well or at all? have you tried different gates?

oneANToneANT ɹǝpun uʍop puɐlPosts: 73
    edited July 2022

@AbortRetryFail said:
    There was a thread about this before where I tested mine on an oscilloscope. Let me see if I can find it...

..there are lots of views so there must be few got stuck. I tried till I went in circles. Will try again with some LED lit cables, and will report anything helpful if I can but some help with this is sorely wanted.

Post edited by oneANT on
    shippy_trappershippy_trapper viennaBeta Tester Posts: 11
    edited July 2022

Here's my experience.
    I am synching my deluge with my eurorack sequencer(fraptools usta) using the deluge as a master clock.
    When i use the setup as mentioned above with gate4 configured to clock, i can see that the usta is not getting a constant clock. with standard setting of 24ppqn there is definitly a drift and the 2 sequencers run astray.
    but if turn the setting for ppqn down to 1 the synch is good.

i also tried to use a midi to cv interface(endorphines shuttle control)
    as expected results are even worse than the first method.
    drift, plus all the other midi problems.

what works best for me is
    if i use gate 4 in ytrig mode(settings) and make a kit track with just 1CV track(gate4) with 4/4 (i make the gates as short as possible) and send this to the clock input on the usta sequencer everything is in perfect sync with the deluge. weirdly the usta shows 1bpm less than the deluge, but the synch is dead on.
    u can also create duplicate tracks and use the deluge as a clock multiplyer/divider f.e
    hope that helps.

Post edited by shippy_trapper on
    SanktDSanktD Beta Tester Posts: 9

I am trying to send gate run and gate clock to an intellijel metropolix, with no luck. On the deluge, I've got gate 3 set to run, gate 4 set to clock, and on the tClock settings when I have out ppqn set to anything less than 100, I get the first note and that's it. if I set ppqn 100-124 I get it to play, but the tempo is all over the place, something's not right. on the metropolix I have clock set to external, that seems to be receiving fine. Any ideas on what I'm missing? thanks!

SanktDSanktD Beta Tester Posts: 9

Ok I was able to get it working. PPQN for gate out set to 4, and I turned off all midi in and out. I'll try and get midi back next, but it's great to have deluge sending clock to modular rig, while taking care of drums. Now I need to learn how to sequence from CV., ha.

Johans121Johans121 Huntsville, ALPosts: 1

I have to run the clock-out from my deluge into a comperator with a stiff output in order for my modular’s various gates to react to it.