Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Option to create open-ended midi Clips (without fixed duration)

Currently a new Clíp is created with the same length as last Clíp. But always with a límite duration (1 bar, 8 bars,etc...)

It would be really inspiring to be able to create “open-ended” clips with no fix duration, just like currently happens with audio clips resampling... so you can improvise a lead line and decide how long should it be after recording (I.e. when you stop recording)
It would allow us to be taken away by inspiration without thinking “I have this many bars left to play”

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

it works the same way for midi clips as with audio clips?
    create new midi lip
    press record and launch so its blinks red
    press record and pad below armed clip

recording starts and clip auto extends length.

@amiga909 said:
    it works the same way for midi clips as with audio clips?
    create new midi lip
    press record and launch so its blinks red
    press record and pad below armed clip

recording starts and clip auto extends length.

I'm going crazy---- This feature already exists?! I dont really understand your instructions, I can create a recording midi clip that goes on recording, but I cant seem to access the keyboard to actually PLAY something, Any hints?

your mind works :) there is no self extend record mode when in keyboard view. was mentioned before somewhere. guess the only way is to use an external midi keyboard for that.

@amiga909 said:
    your mind works :) there is no self extend record mode when in keyboard view. was mentioned before somewhere. guess the only way is to use an external midi keyboard for that.

Thanks for confirming!!!

I’ll rephrase the request then... :)
    REQUEST:
    It would be really inspiring to be able to create “open-ended” clips with no fix duration, just like currently happens with audio clips resampling, and be able to record into them in keyboard view!

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

What exactly are you doing? I seem to be able to record arbitrary length tracks with the Iso keyboard, audition buttons, or MIDI.

Start a new track, synth or midi. Press keyboard. Press record. Press play. Play until you're done. You'll see the red recording bar scroll across the top. It starts up again at 1/2 to indicate that it's still running. Press record to stop.

This works for me. Is that not what you want?

edited February 2020

@hexagon5un said:
    What exactly are you doing? I seem to be able to record arbitrary length tracks with the Iso keyboard, audition buttons, or MIDI.

Start a new track, synth or midi. Press keyboard. Press record. Press play. Play until you're done. You'll see the red recording bar scroll across the top. It starts up again at 1/2 to indicate that it's still running. Press record to stop.

This works for me. Is that not what you want?

confirmed. thanks for chiming in, i think self extend record with midi clips in keyboard view did not work at some point. tried it and it works straight forward.

Post edited by amiga909 on
    udelugeudeluge germanyPosts: 61

Auto extend record only works, when the clip is empty and the deluge is stopped.

Is there a way to record in auto extend mode, when the deluge is already playing, like it does with recording external audio in an audio clip?

facebook is evil

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@udeluge said:
    Auto extend record only works, when the clip is empty and the deluge is stopped.

Is there a way to record in auto extend mode, when the deluge is already playing, like it does with recording external audio in an audio clip?

Use the mute pads. The clips need to play+rec from their start, while being empty, in order to auto-extend - so in other words, unmute the clip while playing and rec mode is on

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

udelugeudeluge germanyPosts: 61

Thanks, this is a nice workaround but not very handy. I need to have a bunch of clips in play+rec when the session starts.

facebook is evil