Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Folder structure for organizing presets

2»

Comments

rudolphrapidrudolphrapid Beta Tester Posts: 129
    edited August 2019

As far as I see the 3.0 tries to handle this situation with file naming and searching features in some degree. However it hardly improves the situation of having a single folder that holds all samples recorded internally as well as resampled ones and including those shits that are never used :)

Post edited by rudolphrapid on
    rczrcz NYBeta Tester Posts: 111
    edited August 2019

posted about this here too but would like to expand on my ideal solution. http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/comment/9566#Comment_9566

The search or tags in songs and presets are fine but a folder solution is really needed for sample management. Seems logical then that the solution could be generalized for song/presets.

when you hit load or browse you should see

In the above image you can see file 1 in the root of folder 3 selected. Should be able to scroll through the rightmost layer with the up/down knob. Color reflects sample length/cpu load per voice of a synth/number of clips in a kit/song.

hit the left on a folder to select and display contents. hit the right pad to see the name only.

hit the left pad on a sample/preset to select and audition, hit the right pad to select without audition. hold both to see the waveform.

At any time you should be able to toggle the keyboard button to enter qwerty search for the current folder/subfolders.

with a file/folder selected we should be able to use the load(Copy)/new and Save(paste, move, rename)/delete buttons. No reason you shouldnt be able to move copy or delete multiple files at once either.

Press the select button to load/slice the file and enter/multisample the folder as we do now.

Again moving a file around should be reflected in the songs/presets that use that file.

full sample management with no computer and much less wear on the select knob.

edit folder 3

Post edited by rcz on

+1
    It’s reallh needed to organise synth presets!!

Folders for pads/leads/bass/etc are absolutely essential!

SiccaViccASiccaViccA OsakaPosts: 68

i agree
    Sub menus are really needed as well as a simple collect and save function as mentioned before in here .. BUT I STILL LOVE MY DELUGE LOL

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078
    edited May 2020

@rcz i like the idea of using the grid for sample and preset browsing.
    about tags, just came to my mind:
    writing and typing textual tags is a bit a pain.
    what if presets and maybe also samples could be tagged with colors.
    audition/mute columns could be used to set 0-N colors for a file and filter a folder by colors.
    for example color blue for a all bass sounds, purple for lead sounds, or orange for a 3rd party preset collection.
    does not fit so much for samples though I guess.

Post edited by amiga909 on
    rczrcz NYBeta Tester Posts: 111

@amiga909 said:
    @rcz i like the idea of using the grid for sample and preset browsing.
    about tags, just came to my mind:
    writing and typing textual tags is a bit a pain.
    what if presets and maybe also samples could be tagged with colors.
    audition/mute columns could be used to set 0-N colors for a file and filter a folder by colors.
    for example color blue for a all bass sounds, purple for lead sounds, or orange for a 3rd party preset collection.
    does not fit so much for samples though I guess.

Thanks, really like how this would use the mute/audition pads. You should be able to set the color tag to whatever you want.

dannytaurusdannytaurus Los AngelesBeta Tester Posts: 31

I'd love to see folders implemented. Scrolling through presets is very slow while a track is playing, especially if the sound is trying to load samples too.

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

I love the pad/colors/matrix to folders for browsing idea. No idea how it would/could be implemented, but the idea of nearly instant access from the grid-pad is brilliant. Folders, section markers? I don't mind as long as I don't have to scroll through 200 patches just to get where I want to be.

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418
    edited July 2020

+1 for synth folders

..also, a powerful, free batch renamer with loads of functions you might find useful:
    https://www.advancedrenamer.com/

With the list function I managed to rename all the included patches, download here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TUhYhqdZxvWcfKF-BSxsy31OgdB0uApQ/view?usp=sharing

Post edited by volsteh on

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

kilroykilroy CanadaBeta Tester Posts: 25
    edited July 2020

Yeah, I picked up a few synth packs (Boards, TAL, Rephazer Rust) and scrolling through all of them is quite slow. So a folder structure for Synth presets would be huge. Even a different shift scroll that skips past 10 at a time would be useful.

Post edited by kilroy on
    edited August 2020

@kilroy said:
    Even a different shift scroll that skips past 10 at a time would be useful.

So, im on 795 synth patches, this would be really helpful.

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

Paul_SPaul_S NetherlandsPosts: 3
    edited August 2020

I really like this idea, I have also too many patches already and it takes forever to find the type of sound I am after.

I also would love to see this idea extended to having a folder structure for songs/projects too.
    I bought a couple of patch packs that come with a ton of demo songs, then I have some completed projects, some in development and some rough ideas. This results in an enormous list of projects that take forever to find the song I want.
    Being able to bring some structure to that and group them together would be very nice.

Post edited by Paul_S on
    miaouxmiaouxmiaouxmiaoux ScotlandBeta Tester Posts: 68
    • 1, would love this
    nilscreatesnilscreates nelson, nzBeta Tester Posts: 29

+1 please :)

edited September 2020

To add on this, im on 1200+ synth patches and i feel scrolling trough, even the default ones got laggy. I feel before 1000 patches the change was immediate and now there is a 100-200 ms delay.

Edit: there where infact 1700+ presets, got some doubles, cleaned that, so im down to 1300 and scrolling is now way more responsive. For comparison scrolling trough kits is even faster, got around 100+ kits. So id say more than 1000 presets starts to take a toll. An example: a full turn on synths scrolls 8-10 presets, on kits 25 presets.

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

BettyBetty BettyvillePosts: 1

Just want to contribute a big yes to the folder substructure idea, it would give a big boost to workflow 👍🏻

LowclefLowclef FrancePosts: 4

+1

+1 So needed

Kael_YeahKael_Yeah United StatesPosts: 1

+1 million! I'm regretting downloading a bunch of synth presets and multisamples now that it takes forever just to get to someplace in the middle of the list. I would have thought this was a no-brainer already.

janbertjanbert VancouverPosts: 35

+1

I just got a deluge a week ago and despite the fact that I am absolutely loving this piece of hardware, this became
    pretty quickly one of my bigger issues.

The search function is already a big help.
    To use this better I thought about renaming the presets like others suggested already.

My idea is to keep it simple by just changing the front letter, depending if its a PAD, BASS, LEAD and so on.
    For all the preset synths I would go through them and name them something like B.13 or L.20.
    With the search function I should be able to hit L for example and all Lead synths coming up.

For my personal presets I would just add my forename letter on top of that, like JB.32 for Jan Bass, I could even give it a name after the dot.

I haven`t tried it yet and was just wondering if that will work?
    I might lose the connection to some of my first songs but I think I can easily sacrifice them :))

This discussion has been closed.