Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Synth Subfolders

MDurantMDurant TorontoPosts: 5
edited January 2020 in Deluge Software Suggestions

Sorry if this is repeated idea (kinda hope it is) but tt would be handy to better organize synth presets if we could implement our own subfolder strategy. Scrolling through a single line of presets can be tedious as the collection grows!

Post edited by MDurant on

Comments

manateemilitiamanateemilitia Austin, TXPosts: 69

This would be so useful for me, particularly once I've edited a preset and want to save it as a new user patch.

rudolphrapidrudolphrapid Beta Tester Posts: 129
    edited January 2020

This feature would introduce the issue that moving patch files across sub-folders would break referring songs.

Maybe a tagging feature would be more useful? (Based on a separate tag file maintained by Deluge in the same folder as the patches are in and having a specific file name that wouldn't be listed when browsing...).

Or just a bit improved searching functionality instead of the single left string pattern.

Post edited by rudolphrapid on
    edited January 2020

@rudolphrapid said:
    This feature would introduce the issue that moving patch files across sub-folders would break referring songs.

What if the Deluge searched for the patch name it is looking (for said song) across all folders until it found it? It wouldn't break unless it was renamed.

Post edited by MDurant on
    rudolphrapidrudolphrapid Beta Tester Posts: 129
    edited January 2020

@MDurant said:
    What if the Deluge searched for the patch name it is looking (for said song) across all folders until it found it? It wouldn't break unless it was renamed.

That would be a similar solution to what Analog Rhythm uses by samples. However while there’s only 1 GB storage there in case of Deluge where we can insert even 64 GB storage card it’d be really hard for user to avoid duplicated file names among thousands of files scattered in thousands subfolders I’m afraid.

Post edited by rudolphrapid on
    amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@MDurant said:
    Sorry if this is repeated idea (kinda hope it is) but tt would be handy to better organize synth presets if we could implement our own subfolder strategy. Scrolling through a single line of presets can be tedious as the collection grows!

yeah, upvoted. there is a related thread http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/1026/folder-structure-for-organizing-presets/p1. repetition isnt bad, i just think the old threads should not get forgotten. this is not fb :)
    btw, u can check for popular demands here http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussions/top/ever
    or here http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/2240/100-top-rated-suggestions

@rudolphrapid said:
    However while there’s only 1 GB storage there in case of Deluge where we can insert even 64 GB storage card it’d be really hard for user to avoid duplicated file names among thousands of files scattered in thousands subfolders I’m afraid.

There are plenty of workarounds for that. And who would have thousands of subfolders? If it's messy and breaks something then it's up to the user to be tidy if they want to exploit this potential feature.

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

To keep it clean you can use one of those many "duplicate checker" software.

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@rudolphrapid said:

I dont think so. Presets are (afaik always) stored in the Song XML. At least you can't break a song by resaving a preset while in another song.

Or just a bit improved searching functionality instead of the single left string pattern.

Interesting idea. Yeah, that could work out better than subfolders. A clever tagging system would be nice too.

I think folders would better cater to the unique needs of each individual's organization style.

dafonkdafonk Beta Tester Posts: 13

+1000 the Synths\Kits and songs are a nightmare to scroll.

This discussion has been closed.