Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Highpass filter cutoff - no effect when very low or high?

KenoubiKenoubi United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 46

From my testing (both with my ears and with a spectrogram) it appears that within the ranges 0-12 and 40-50, changing the highpass filter cutoff does absolutely nothing. (It's not because the cutoff is out of audio range either, at least not in any intuitive way; the sound isn't completely gone from 40-50, it just doesn't change at all when I move the cutoff within that range.) Is everyone seeing this? I'm having trouble imagining it was actually supposed to work this way. The lowpass filter doesn't do this (it has a small range at the top where it doesn't appear to do anything, but that's plausibly out of audio range and it does do something clearly audible for the great majority of its range).

Comments

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

+1

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

good observation. yeah, i find the HPF is much less "musical" than the LPFs.
    good question what Rohans inspiration was.
    guess: HPF was designed to work with high resonance, up to self-oscillation, i assume a HPF in a a LPF->HPF serial filter more commonly just removes frequenices rather than being able to add overtones. i get some more audible differences in the low/hi ranges with resonance cranked up.
    upvoted, as i upvote almost every effect improvement. effects in general (including filter, eq) should be high priority IMHO. dont get me wrong, the Deluge effects are decent. however, the only effect addition in the last 3 years was a Drive LPF filter mode which i never liked and used much. for a sampler effects are the most important feature imho. saying that, looking at http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/2240/100-top-rated-suggestions "effects" there are not that many upvoted effect suggestions (aside from compressor and Stutter improvements). might indicate its a more subjective need and less important for the majority.