Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

USB midi DAW sync (Ableton)

MonktunesMonktunes United KingdomPosts: 5
edited November 2019 in General Discussion

Hi Guys, can anyone can explain me one thing...

~Manual page 72:
**By default, the Deluge itself outputs a MIDI beat clock on both its hardware MIDI output and USB port whenever it is playing (except when it is playing as a slave). This means that any other connected equipment or software may be configured to play as a slave, treating the Deluge as a master. See the Settings menu for instructions on turning this off if you wish.

Now me trying to connect
1. Deluge (master) --> USB Cable ---> Ableton Ext. (slave) = no clock, no midi messages from top panel (Play/Record), only notes can be sent
2. Deluge (master) --> Midi Cable ---> Midi Interface ---> Ableton Ext. (slave) = same as above
3. Deluge (master) --> Octatrack (Thru) ---> Midi Cable ---> Midi Interface ---> Ableton Ext. (slave) = everything works correctly.

I'd just like to know if it's possible to send midi clock over usb (according to manual it is).
Do we need some kind of script to connect with Ableton over USB?

Post edited by Monktunes on

Comments

joshejoshjoshejosh Brooklyn, NYPosts: 2
    edited December 2019

I've got the Deluge connected to my computer, USB midi. Using the default settings in the device. Normal USB cable connected to my MacBook Pro.

In Ableton:

• Preferences, Link MIDI panel
    • Midi Ports - Input: Deluge (IN) - Track Sync and Remote are ON
    • Close Preferences.
    • In the main Ableton screen, click on "Ext" in the top left corner to enable external sync.

Now, when I push play on the Deluge, Ableton starts playing. When I hit play again, they both stop.

If I want to record the deluge, I just set up a track for recording in the usual way, through my interface.

Is that what you mean?

Post edited by joshejosh on
    MonktunesMonktunes United KingdomPosts: 5
    edited December 2019

Thank You for your reply and yes that what I ment. The reason it didn't work was Analog Heat set to sync causing the clash.

I thought clock will be more stable over USB but it's not.
    Also I wonder how did I get notes recived last time.. :/ maybe it was day one with Deluge madness. ;)

Post edited by Monktunes on

Shout out to @joshejosh for posting these images, made it dead simple for me to sync up a prett complex system of hardware and gates and cv and midi, Ableton's clocked perfectly. I did have to make a slight adjustment to midi sync delay to get everything gridded perfectly. I recommend people syncing Ableton to deluge send some sounds with strong attacks from both the deluge as well as hardware and dial in the MIDI clock sync delay until your sounds are dead gridded, otherwise all this hardware control you're benfitting form gets lost when your recordings are slightly off and phasing and your groove is slightly off.

guitouguitou FrancePosts: 1

Hi Delugers,
    This thread is really helpful.
    I tried to set the midi sync delay in ableton’s preference but I just can’t get it on the grid perfectly (I get close but at one point the delay value starts to offsets more again).
    Moreover for the same setting I get different offset on ableton’s grid (firmware 3.1.5 and 4.0.0).
    When I press play on the deluge, sometimes I hear the first click of ableton’s metronome and sometimes I don’t.
    Any hints or tips in that matter ?
    Thanks for your feedback!