Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Arranger recording automation wanted

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

It would be great if you could record and edit filter, effect, envelope etc on the arranger view, like you can do in the track view. That would help to master a song for half or full "playback" as well for live sessions, where you want to change many things at the same time, but you are too slow and you don't have enough hands and fingers ;)

PS: The arranger automation should only apply to the arranger and should not change the automation of the original track.

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

Post edited by OdoSendaidokai on

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Do you mean automation for clips in Arranger or automation for the global effect chain in Arranger?

By now if you want Arranger automation for clips you can

• turn every clip into a white instances (or 1 long white instance)
    • or, use the RECORD+SONG command (deletes all arrangement data to the right side of the play head though)

I dont know if it would be good idea to record all automation in Arranger to Arranger only. Would break the concept clip changes in Arranger affect Song mode too (e.g. if you change a note it affects both views).

I mean for the clips (tracks / lines) in arranger. Maybe you can see it similar to a kit track, where you choose the line and then you can change all possibles values while recording. And the changes are only applied to the arranger, not to the song view or the track view.

moosiqpiplmoosiqpipl Frankfurt am Main, GermanyPosts: 24

A possible solution to this could be a separate controller track in arranger mode to record knob movements or external controllers.

((qp))

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

i like the idea, wished to have arranger only automation for clips too. more useful.
    global fx can be recorded in arranger only, this already helps. more useful if instruments had a separate automation lane that can spawn across multiple clips.

what happens to automation i have recorded in Song mode? For example i have some cutoff sweeps of synth1 recorded in Song mode. What happens when i record cutoff of of synth1 in Arranger? Overwrite, mix?

@moosiqpipl said:
    A possible solution to this could be a separate controller track in arranger mode to record knob movements or external controllers.

NICE!! I like that idea to have a second line for every line in the arranger only for automation, so that you can switch it off, if you like to play only the raw track clips.

@amiga909 said:
    what happens to automation i have recorded in Song mode? For example i have some cutoff sweeps of synth1 recorded in Song mode. What happens when i record cutoff of of synth1 in Arranger? Overwrite, mix?

hmm good question. But I would say the effects are added on top of the song mode/ track mode. That would make in my point of view the most sense.

I got another idea on that automation feature.

If we go with the idea of creating a second line under the notes line in Arranger and Song view, we could expand that like a track view. And when you select an effect, like echo, or panning for example the track view just only shows the values of that effect. Like notes.

That screen is vertically zoomed out, so you can see the whole envelope that is used by that effect. And you can zoom in to change or add variation in more details.

edited June 2019

The button combination could be the [learn]+[mute pad] ?

Post edited by OdoSendaidokai on

There is a similar discussion ongoing here http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/2184/silent-parameter-locks

Small overview

FabiFabi ItalyPosts: 14

The ability to "draw" automations per track horizontally and long the timeline in the arranger mode, Drawing & seeing automations recorded horizontally , is definitive.
    How?
    Draw the segment in two steps

1) Set a 1st "value point" (volume or other) in the first step as "STARTER"
    2) Set a 2nd value point in the last step of the automation to "end of curve" .

Maybe after we done programming the automation a visual feedback representation within a semi-transparent whitish line, representing the values, can be shown long the grid , if zooming in to track.