Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Ability to name clips (+ shortcut to read it in song mode)

So first of all thanks for the new update, I have yet to try most of the new features. I think the alphanumeric keyboard was an important step to giving the user a better overview of what's happening on the Deluge, but I'm a bit disappointed that I can't use it to see what's going on in song mode.

I've done a live performance with the old firmware and it went pretty well, but even after practicing a lot I often did not know which clip I was muting or unmuting. The grid pads of course indicate a bit what kind of data a clip contains, but it's pretty abstract. With the new firmware I can now name synths and kits, but I have to save them (I prefer to save them as part of the song most of the time) and to see their name enter clip mode and then go back to song mode. MIDI and CV clips can't be named.

I'd like to be able to give each clip a name and make that visible with a button combination (shift + a grid pad of the clip?) in song mode:
If I have several tracks using a kit with drums I could see if it's the bassdrum pattern, the hihat clip, a fill-in and so on. If I could name MIDI clips I could use that to remember which preset I have to load on the external synth. The clip names could be stored in the song xml.

In my opinon this would greatly improve the workflow for live performances and prevent unintentional changes, maybe other people agree.
Regards

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

"but I have to save them (I prefer to save them as part of the song most of the time)"
    hint: presets are always saved as part of a song. u can't destroy a song if you resave a preset that is used in another song.

"but I have to save them (I prefer to save them as part of the song most of the time) and to see their name enter clip mode"
    an instrument name is displayed when u press and hold a pad in Song view (if released quickly u enter clip edit mode)?

"MIDI and CV clips can't be named."
    Ian said at Superbooth they are working on midi templates, might come soon.

"I'd like to be able to give each clip a name "
    Yeah, u can't do that. interesting idea.

@amiga909 said:
    hint: presets are always saved as part of a song. u can't destroy a song if you resave a preset that is used in another song.

You're right, I'm just afraid of ending up with many redundant presets, while most synhts and kits are are geared to certain songs. Should probably just save them.

@amiga909 said:
    an instrument name is displayed when u press and hold a pad in Song view (if released quickly u enter clip edit mode)?

I didn't know that! It's cool although it carries the danger of unintentionally ending up in clip mode.
    I still think giving names to individual clips would be better to identify them. Let's hope they will add this for MIDI clips as well.

John_DriverJohn_Driver EnglandPosts: 7

I'd like to name clips and also save them - and then have the option to load clips either with their synth or kit settings or just their pattern sequences. My workflow is that I often like to create short sequences and then use them in longer compositions. The longer compositions may be created long after I have worked on the clip. So I'd like to be able to save midi/synth/kit clips in the same way that I can save synth/kits/songs. And loading the clips I'd like to hear a preview of them in the same way as loading a sample into a kit. I'm not a programmer but I suspect this owuld not be difficult to do, and would make the Deluge hugely more versatile.