Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Recording automation of external synth // using multiple controllers

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157
edited May 2018 in Deluge Help

I still have to wait a few days for my Deluge to arrive, in the meantime I am learning it by reading the manual.

One thing that is not clear to me: is it possible to record midi cc automation of an external synth (by moving its knob/fader while in record mode) and then loop this by sending the recorded automation back to the synth, without assigning one of the golden knobs first?

So: can you setup the Deluge to record any midi cc straight to a midi track?

Also: I assume that a midi keyboard/controller is by default controlling the selected track. But is it also possible to "lock" a certain controller (synth) to a certain midi track, so it records notes and cc only for the associates midi track? Even when you are in track view of another midi track?

This would allow multiple synths to be playes and recorded at the same time, which is really useful in a live situation.

Post edited by MPrinsen on

Comments

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296
    edited May 2018

For any automation to be recorded, it must first be assigned to a gold knob. Synth, kit, midi, all the same. The midi data stays on midi tracks, internal synth automation stays in the deluge. A midi track sends its note data on the channel you give it. Midi tracks can learn note data from external gear via, holding learn + pad audition. Progam change and arp is available in the track menu option. Any cc data you want must be dialed in with the encoder. Its not listening or learnt from your controller. So you need to know your gear's midi implementaion chart.

Im assuming it will work the same in the next update, havent heard otherwise.

Post edited by minigoat on

It sounds more complicated than it is, and you can get right into what you want pretty quick once youve done it a couple times.

Ummm as far as your question about recording your external gear's movement -after- its midi mapped to a gold knob while the deluge is in record mode...hmmm im not at my desk right now to double check...i want to say that it does actually, but not with certainty at the moment. Maybe someone else can answer that before i can test it.

And also it does not just instantly controll what track you switch around to. Not like abletons "blue hand" feature. People have suggestion an omni mode sort of option but as of now, the tracks you set it up to be on is where they stay.

So you have to switch the midi channel on your midi keyboard every time you want to play a different track? That's such a shame!

It is nice to have the possibility to lock an incoming midi channel to a track, but it shouldn't be like that by default IMO.

PhilPhil MontréalBeta Tester Posts: 105

@MPrinsen said:
    I still have to wait a few days for my Deluge to arrive, in the meantime I am learning it by reading the manual.

One thing that is not clear to me: is it possible to record midi cc automation of an external synth (by moving its knob/fader while in record mode) and then loop this by sending the recorded automation back to the synth, without assigning one of the golden knobs first?

So: can you setup the Deluge to record any midi cc straight to a midi track?

Also: I assume that a midi keyboard/controller is by default controlling the selected track. But is it also possible to "lock" a certain controller (synth) to a certain midi track, so it records notes and cc only for the associates midi track? Even when you are in track view of another midi track?

This would allow multiple synths to be playes and recorded at the same time, which is really useful in a live situation.

Have you made a software suggestion yet for these ? I would upvote for sure.

Apparently, there is one already, although I'm not sure it covers my whole issue. But I upvoted it and added a comment

DVBDVB USAPosts: 48

@MPrinsen said:
    So you have to switch the midi channel on your midi keyboard every time you want to play a different track? That's such a shame!

It is nice to have the possibility to lock an incoming midi channel to a track, but it shouldn't be like that by default IMO.

From what I've experienced, this is not the case. The Deluge receives MIDI incoming on all channels. You can not assign incoming midi channels to any internal (or MIDI) tracks. I think this may be a limitation of having a class-compliant

You must LEARN the midi controller to the the track that you want to control. AFAICT, you can only control one track at a time even if you learn multiple tracks. It seems as if the last one learned will be the one controlled & if you mute that one, than the previously learned track is now controlled. So no layering of played tracks unless your controller also sounds.

The Deluge does not do MIDI thru so no incoming will be passed on down the chain. So changing your controller to channel 3 in hopes of playing a synth on 3 after the Deluge is no go.

At first, I was quite put off by this limitation but one benefit is that if you use a nice synth as a controller, like the DSI Rev2, you can go Rev2 out into Deluge out back to Rev2 thru the rest of your chain. This allows you to use the Rev2 as a controller AND the Deluge sequence it at the same time. The Rev2 is bi-timbral so that means Deluge sequence one patch while Rev2 plays another one plus an external sound (either on the Deluge or something else down the chain). If you had a multi-timbral synth, theoretically you could sequence 15 non-KB zones & then play the 16th zone + an external layer.

@MPrinsen said:

Looks like I might be wrong in that it does have MIDI thru but not sure if that's exclusive. I know on my previous sequencer, if I set it to thru, it would no longer send MIDI OUT!

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199
    edited May 2018

@DVB said:

@MPrinsen said:

Looks like I might be wrong in that it does have MIDI thru but not sure if that's exclusive. I know on my previous sequencer, if I set it to thru, it would no longer send MIDI OUT!

I’ll have to try this tonight, but most machines I’ve used with just midi IN/OUT that are capable of THRU, use a retransmit IN to OUT as the THRU while OUT still works just fine.

Would be nice to see it function as some other hardware sequencers where changing track changes focus of the keyboard input regardless of channel setting on the keyboard, as long as it is recognized as an input. Would also be nice to have an option to have an input clock source ignore function. My trusty old cbx-k1 37 key controller will transmit clock source automatically. Hmm, maybe I need to dig out that old manual to see if I can turn that off on the controller....

Yep - was in the manual. Setting to zero disables clock transmission. I should always rtfm before posting.

Post edited by Vondragonnoggin on

Yes, you're right that the Deluge re-transmits any MIDI incoming to its THRU & OUT still works. Not ultra helpful in my case as it causes a MIDI loop with my set-up (Rev2 as controller out to Deluge back in to Rev2 then thru to the rest) but I'm probably in the minority in trying to play my Rev2 & sequence it too. I imagine those of you with dedicated MIDI controllers that can create different KB/MIDI zones will dig that.

Yeah, I had to klugey a ignore clock workaround by setting the Rev2 to output clock via USB. Probably be different for every controller.

I just bought a Midi Solutions midi event filter. Should be in my hands in a few days. I mostly bought it because I can hook a one IN, five OUT, active midi thru box and filter system events out of the stream. I got 3 mother 32’s that don’t have the option to turn off receiving start/stop commands so the sequencer starts on them anytime they are slaved and the master sequencer sends start/stop messages. Was around $120 and is passive but up to 10event filters can be programmed in it and will stay like that until you manually change them if you need it to filter something else you hadn’t thought of later. You can easily filter out clock though.

So I finally verified for myself running my controller to midi in on Deluge, settings for midi to thru on, then midi out to 5 way thru box with one out going to a tr-08 and another to my Spectralis 2. Works as it should. I like to have the Deluge be master and slave the others, but use the Spectralis sequencer for its own sounds. It also has p-locks and probability sequencing ability.

B)

SamSam WellingtonModerator, Staff Posts: 160

Hi @MPrinsen! Just a note that recording CCs straight from a MIDI input has now been implemented in the 2.0 firmware that's just been released as a beta :smile:

That's awesome!!! Can't wait to update and play with it when I'm home