Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Managing Saving Presets and Songs (Structure)

redmeansrecordingredmeansrecording SeattleBeta Tester Posts: 3

Hi all! I am a very happy new Deluge user, and am starting to wrap my head around the sheer power this thing has. It's amazing.

One thing that trips me up is how presets and songs and kits save, namely the iterative thing (# followed by a letter).

I keep finding myself forgetting what preset slot to save in, and why I should save in a #letter as opposed to just the base #.

Can anyone here shed some light on how they work through this? How you use #letter vs. plain # for saving stuff? I know this seems like a really basic question, but it's definitely making my workflow a little wonky.

Thanks!

Best Answer

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayPosts: 1,017
    Answer ✓

Hopefully we'll be able to name stuff with future updates, maybe even with 2.0 coming soon! :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

Answers

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

Oh, snap! Rmr deluge videos on the horizon!
    Be really interested to see what you do with it. Your vids and music are some of my fav to check out.
    File structure has also been where i scratch my head a bit. Songs, kits, and patches all have a "main/parent" number and then all the variation can live under it. At least thats the way ive been treating it. Anytime you make a change to a saved bit, the deluge automaticly designates it a new number and saves it in ram, so you can dial it back in if you switch away. If you want to save it for next time you switch it on, you need to save it.
    As far as sample management...im still trying to figure out how to keep it all tidy.

@minigoat said:
    Oh, snap! Rmr deluge videos on the horizon!
    Be really interested to see what you do with it. Your vids and music are some of my fav to check out.
    File structure has also been where i scratch my head a bit. Songs, kits, and patches all have a "main/parent" number and then all the variation can live under it. At least thats the way ive been treating it. Anytime you make a change to a saved bit, the deluge automaticly designates it a new number and saves it in ram, so you can dial it back in if you switch away. If you want to save it for next time you switch it on, you need to save it.
    As far as sample management...im still trying to figure out how to keep it all tidy.

Ah, yeah. I think I need to move so saving each preset in it's own #. That's been my folly. If you think of the iteration as "versions" of the same sound, it makes a lot more sense.

@Icoustik said:
    Hopefully we'll be able to name stuff with future updates, maybe even with 2.0 coming soon! :)

oooh you tease

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

DVBDVB USAPosts: 48

Unfortunately, this could be the undoing of the Deluge. The workflow is very nice but as of now, we have very few tools to organize it & it doesn't take long before I'm bogged down in "clutter". I spend the first 5 min or so of a session trying to remember what's what & auditioning various songs/tracks trying to figure things out. Even the Microkorg-style 4 letter labels would be IMMENSELY helpful.

Sorry, as for your original post, I usually just scroll back to the original # & save over that instead of the iterative thing. I KNOW I'm not going to remember what the differences were in a week's time so best to keep things tidy. In fact, iterative saving as default should probably be a global default option.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

No worries, the developers know what's up, it won't be that hard to make it possible to name stuff :)

It'll take a couple of extra braincells in the meantime !