Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules & guidelines

Euclidean Sequencing

It is needed in modern music, y'all can do it better. you have the tech, I love your product.

Comments

VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USA

Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
    YouTube: VJFranzK

Salamndr1Salamndr1 California

@VJFranzK said:

hey your in LA?! I think our machine needs this, lol.

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usa

+1
    be awesome to have just in kit tracks really

alien_brainalien_brain yer moms house

i think this just keeps you from developing the personality of a groove by the power of your own edit, which is based on trying and failing or refining until you get it 'there'. this is how a musician gets better imho. this would definitely appeal to a lot of people im sure. eh why not. could be interesting.

@alien_brain said:
    i think this just keeps you from developing the personality of a groove by the power of your own edit, which is based on trying and failing or refining until you get it 'there'. this is how a musician gets better imho. this would definitely appeal to a lot of people im sure. eh why not. could be interesting.

i can see that being the case if its not pushed creatively, it becoming a cheap crutch. i can also see it as another way to build off of what your already feeling.
    Like a "jam" band or improv, drumcircle-esq way of building up rhythms and grooves. i just downloaded the java euclidean editor from: http://www.hisschemoller.com/blog/2011/euclidean-midi-patterns/
    ive found you can build up some really hypnotic grooves though. it only plots the steps and rotation, you still need to set the pitch, velocity, and duration.
    To me the art is in the -selection- of what fits the moment. nothing is really new under the sun and we all build off each other and what inspires us.
    im new to the idea of "euclidean sequencing" and +1 the idea after watching the yt video above...but now ive used that java one...i kinda think the deluge is already capable of this to an extent, with its ability to shorten track lengths? like i said, im not fully aware of what really defines this type of sequencing. Appears to just be semi-symmetrical poly rhythms?

IcoustikIcoustik Norway
    edited April 17

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vwigqSwYNaQ

This video also helped me understand more of the mathematics

Post edited by Icoustik on

@alien_brain said:

I just think it should be an option, I love building beat's, and breaks but this just seems fun too!

@minigoat said:

@alien_brain said:

i can see that being the case if its not pushed creatively, it becoming a cheap crutch. i can also see it as another way to build off of what your already feeling.
    Like a "jam" band or improv, drumcircle-esq way of building up rhythms and grooves. i just downloaded the java euclidean editor from: http://www.hisschemoller.com/blog/2011/euclidean-midi-patterns/
    ive found you can build up some really hypnotic grooves though. it only plots the steps and rotation, you still need to set the pitch, velocity, and duration.
    To me the art is in the -selection- of what fits the moment. nothing is really new under the sun and we all build off each other and what inspires us.
    im new to the idea of "euclidean sequencing" and +1 the idea after watching the yt video above...but now ive used that java one...i kinda think the deluge is already capable of this to an extent, with its ability to shorten track lengths? like i said, im not fully aware of what really defines this type of sequencing. Appears to just be semi-symmetrical poly rhythms?

I also think it would be fun to use it with multiple synths to write some weird stuff...

@Icoustik thanks for the link. so i guess the distribution maths would be the processing part for the deluge.
    you can already offset notes and change step length.
    @Salamndr1 could def get some weird going, but also some pretty nod worthy bits.

@minigoat said:
    @Icoustik thanks for the link. so i guess the distribution maths would be the processing part for the deluge.
    you can already offset notes and change step length.
    @Salamndr1 could def get some weird going, but also some pretty nod worthy bits.

I think our machine is just poly-rhythmic at the moment by using the formula that you provide above, I already do that, but the computer on board is pretty good, and to do a simple dance song I only be using like 8 or 9 patterns with crazy internal synths and sampling, not even scratching 8 gigs! So why not throw in the extra edge of math?