Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Fine Note Length Adjustment

It would be helpful if you could adjust the length of an existing note by pressing/holding the note's pad on the grid and the turning <> to make it it longer or shorter (by small amounts maybe as a percentage of the time division of the view level). I think this would be helpful when wanting to edit longer sequences.

In case I am not explaining myself well, the sequencer on the minilogue has this feature and it makes it easy to create grooves even when you are limited to 1/16th notes or what have you. You select a step in the sequence and then adjust the gate from 0-100%. So at 1/16th note per step, 50% gate gives you a note that is 1/32nd in length.

Tagged:

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

concur would be really useful.

bracketsbrackets BarcelonaPosts: 25
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    luke_pankauluke_pankau AustraliaPosts: 13
    edited April 2019

i need dis very much

i find that when making my psytrance leads going up and down x64 x32 x16 just straight up spins you out and is way to time cosuming. i often forget the rhythm ive got in my head by the time I zoom in and out so far & across soooo many pages of even a 2 x 16 bar.

in a daw sequencer its as easy as look @ your big ass sequence on with heaps of step & selecting your steps and dragging left or right for small or bigger note length.
    why cant it be this easy on the deluge ?

maybe two modes
    fractional mode - hold step> turn encoder to adjust step x16,x32,x64,x128 length
    percentage mode - hold step> turn encoder to adjust step % length

Post edited by luke_pankau on
    bracketsbrackets BarcelonaPosts: 25

Yes, this it's really needed. Independently of the upvotes, this needs to be adressed, it's one of the MAJOR workflow issues right now, zooming, then finding the page of the note do u want to edit, it's very annoying, it's one of the worst workflow solutions in the Deluge (but in general, Deluge workflow it's amazing) .

I don't get why more people don't see this.

MafooMafoo Posts: 53

bump

not terrible for me but i have that use case too. i use rather short lengths for subtle varaitions, thats very powerful, also a reason why i dont like the auto setting of cut and once in sample load, i rarely use once mode because i want immediate control over the sample length.

a workaround is to learn envelope params. but kinda limited, not the same as note length.
    i dont think the up/down shortcut for moving rows up and down while holding a step is often needed, much better if L/R lets u set velocity and U/D gate.

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

I agree. that's the way I'm used to it on the Pyramid as well. being able to few a pattern at a certain zoom level, but still be able to do smaller than a current step changes to note lengths and offsets, means that you can work much faster. constantly Zooming in and out and constantly trying to remember which page a given note is likely to be on, combined with the brain twister of teching yourselft to hit the exact pad when trying to increase the length but hitting pad plus one when trying to reduce it makes anything more precise than a basic XOXOX pattern a chore.

edited August 2018

@amiga909 said:
    a workaround is to learn envelope params. but kinda limited, not the same as note length.
    i dont think the up/down shortcut for moving rows up and down while holding a step is often needed, much better if L/R lets u set velocity and U/D gate.

Can you expand on this? I am not sure I understand what you mean about using the envelopes, and would be interested in a work around. (though I am still holding my breath that this, or some similar iteration of this function, will get implemented in a future update.)

Post edited by Mafoo on
    bloombloom earthPosts: 12

agree

@amiga909 what was your workaround?

well, it is acutally not a real workaround. just automate envelope release, can be a way to go depending on the sound.
    did upvote. proposal: step + up/down alters gate length, not row order. row order shortcut then requires another modifier key like learn. would not mind as i dont use as often as note length edit.

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

@brackets said:
    Yes, this it's really needed. Independently of the upvotes, this needs to be adressed, it's one of the MAJOR workflow issues right now, zooming, then finding the page of the note do u want to edit, it's very annoying, it's one of the worst workflow solutions in the Deluge (but in general, Deluge workflow it's amazing) .

Yes I fully agree!!

@brackets said:

I agree. I also find it annoying to only be able to enter notes that are the same length as the zoom level. I'd like to be able to enter notes from 1/32nd notes from the 1/16th view level.

funkymothersfunkymothers LondonPosts: 48
    edited April 2019

If it could be implemented in a similarly intuitive way to the velocity adjust (holding notes plus turning <>) that would be great.

However, the OP is looking for something slightly different if I understand him correctly?

Setting note / step length to a shorter value than the current grid and then adding/deleting steps freely (at that resolution without having to use zoom)

as well as

bulk shortening existing steps?

Post edited by funkymothers on

@funkymothers said:
    If it could be implemented in a similarly intuitive way to the velocity adjust (holding notes plus turning <>) that would be great.

However, the OP is looking for something slightly different if I understand him correctly?

Setting note / step length to a shorter value than the current grid and then adding/deleting steps freely (at that resolution without having to use zoom)

as well as

bulk shortening existing steps?

what you mentioned above holding a note and using <> is exactly what I was imagining. In short, I'd just like to be able to shorten or lengthen notes independently of the zoom level, and "off grid". Currently you can only create note lengths based on the time divisions of the grid.

NorisNoris AustriaPosts: 38
    edited April 2019

+1 Fine length adjustment without being forced to the current grid resolution would be much more intuitive. Same to some other functions (like sample start and stop point).

Post edited by Noris on
    feijaifeijai Washington, DCPosts: 43

Coming over from another thread where I had proposed my own solution to this:

Using the knob to change the note length from 3 steps to 1 (or 5!) would probably be very difficult to integrate with the Deluge's existing approach, and with the goal of short gate values. But here's something that could be done trivially: use the knob to define the length, in fraction of a step, of the last step in the note (for the current zoom value). For example, if you have a note length being currently displayed with 4 steps, in fact it's really 3 + x steps, where x is some value from 0.0 exclusive to 1.0 inclusive. The knob would let you quickly change the value of x.

If you just have a single step, this has the nice property of just specifying the gate length of that one step, which is what I think people are asking for. After all, a single-step note is really some 0 + x steps long, so your knob is just changing x as a percentage (from > 0.0 to <= 1.0).

LarsDanielLarsDaniel DenmarkPosts: 21

Hold note, turn knob to make note shorter. Done.

I love this feature on my Arturia Beatstep Pro, and it feels incredibly clumsy to have to zoom all the way in, locate the note again, then make it shorter, then zoom out again.

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

@LarsDaniel said:

I love this feature on my Arturia Beatstep Pro, and it feels incredibly clumsy to have to zoom all the way in, locate the note again, then make it shorter, then zoom out again.

Yes I totally agree!!

I even bought a beatstep pro to complement the Deluge for this reason!

funkymothersfunkymothers LondonPosts: 48

@MPrinsen said:

@LarsDaniel said:

Yes I totally agree!!

I even bought a beatstep pro to complement the Deluge for this reason!

Ha - I regret selling mine. For the time being I work around this by recording / punching in notes via the audition pads.