Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Grain Sampler

Even a very basic granular sampler would add a lot of sonic potential to the on-board synthesizer. Does the Deluge have enough juice for those types of algorithms?

Am I missing some kind of LFO or delay trick to achieve similar results?

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

For now, you CAN use the stutter effect - catch a piece of audio (press in the gold knob), crank it right up and then resample the output (shift+Record) :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

FASTFAST CaliforniaPosts: 47

The single-cycle waveform approach...not bad. I'm sure that some interesting results can be had this way but it will be a far cry from the glorious organic pads and atmospheres that can be had with algorithms.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

More synthesis methods would be very cool. Granular and Physical Modelling would be my top picks. Or maybe because Deluge is a sample based machine (for me), I'd go for stuff the Roland V-Synth can do (Variphrase, stuff like formant control).
    However, a full fledged granular synth is likely overkill, the Deluge is not a flagship synth à la Kronos, Montage.. On the other hand it is Rohan, he might surprise us again..

As requested elsewhere, modulation of Sample Start/End would give us loads of "grain-ish" effects, really hope this is coming up.
    For glitchy/grainy stuff, got some interesting results when fiddling with extreme timestretch settings and resampling.

faktoidfaktoid GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 11

plus 1 for some basic granular stuff :)

tacharontacharon HamburgPosts: 44

The CPU demand for a granular oscillator should mainly depend on the number of grains it can simultaneously produce at a given sample rate. With the Deluge’s impressive number of synth or sampler voices one could think that 8 voices of 16 grain oscillators at full SR should be possible. But that estimation may be far off! ;–)

DVBDVB USAPosts: 48

Hardware granular synths are sparse as software has the edge here so if the Deluge added that to its feature set, it would further distinguish itself.

workergrayworkergray Gulfport, FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 222

The more I think about it, the more important this feature becomes to me. I've been watching those "TastyChips GR-1" videos-- and the possibilities of granular sampling are INCREDIBLE. I think this should be 2.1 material. HUGE.

intowhiteintowhite las vegasPosts: 9

some kind of whacky v-synth type synthesis would indeed be dope

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

+1

jC3jC3 Posts: 6

I sort of mentioned this in another thread, but I would love it if Mutable Instruments' Clouds software were ported to the Deluge. I like the way this guy runs a random arp through it (starts around 2:58):

workergrayworkergray Gulfport, FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 222

Drawing custom curves on the pads for envelopes would be handy. This VST has some interesting ideas that could certainly be implemented:

EarthCryEarthCry Asheville NCPosts: 15

+1

Ke10gKe10g BerlinBeta Tester Posts: 26

I'm still waiting for my deluge but: Couldn't you do granulation by triggering the same long sample on different tracks, using envelopes to shorten them to grain duration, randomizing the start and end positions using random modulator, and adding probability conditional triggers to all the notes playing? Could you then not sweep through the sample by controlling the start point globally?

mcpepemcpepe Marbella, SpainBeta Tester Posts: 98

For now, you cannot modulate the start and end positions. Let's hope the upcoming new os release 2.1 can do It.

Ke10gKe10g BerlinBeta Tester Posts: 26

@mcpepe said:
    For now, you cannot modulate the start and end positions. Let's hope the upcoming new os release 2.1 can do It.

Oh, I just assumed you could. Yes that would be a necessary feature for granulation. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the team implements this. But ideally they could go a few steps further and offer a more conveniant interface for doing granulation. Perhaps, as others have mentioned, using the wave-file view would be ideal for this, but another way to go would be to use the pads as "sliders", sort of like on novation launchpad, with various stretches of lit pads corresponding to ins and outs, randomness, number of grains, panning, pitch, etc. One of my favorite granulators was KTGranulator, now salty grains... just a simple interface with sliders.

OlfsoundOlfsound FrancePosts: 5

+1 For the granular synth.

ChrisfreeqChrisfreeq NorwayPosts: 25

+1 for Granular

definitiondefinition AustraliaPosts: 4

+1 For Granular
    +1 For Clouds implementation
    I've been experimenting with the "Sampler" device in Bitwig recently and it's an amazing tool. The way it implements both wavetable an d granular options for samples is awesome! One of the first things I said to myself when playing with Bitwigs Sampler was "If there was a hardware sampler with similar features it would just be game over for most of my other hardware".

ws9848ws9848 sacramentoPosts: 2

Granular would be real nice

theoristtheorist NC.USAPosts: 8

Another vote for, at the very least, automation of the sample start and end positions.

yeah this is my fav request regarding sound creation on the Deluge.

@definition said:
    I've been experimenting with the "Sampler" device in Bitwig recently and it's an amazing tool.

thanks for the tip, escaped my attention, always looking for creative samplers, i ll check out the demo.

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199

@amiga909 said:
    thanks for the tip, escaped my attention, always looking for creative samplers, i ll check out the demo.

Gotharman Little DeFormer 3

I have the Little DeFormer 2. Amazing little sampler/fx box/sequencer

One man operation. It’s creative.

monoseqmonoseq SwedenBeta Tester Posts: 12

+1 for granular.

VincentLVincentL FrancePosts: 9

+1 for granular (getting an effect close to Clouds would be wonderful) or, at least, the possibility to modulate start and end position of the sample.
    I could do it with the Digitakt and loved it.

yeah, really would like to see Deluge moving into more creative sample mangling and a crazy sample based synthesis. http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/18/automation-of-start-and-end-points-of-a-sample-and-different-looping-options still is the most upvoted suggestion.
    dont want to hold Ian accountable for everything he has ever said, just saying he told me 2 years ago at Superbooth Rohan has ideas for a granular synth, and i was hoping the new "Wavetable" shortcut ist going into this direction. if i could i'd play sample synthesis demos of a Ensoniq ASR-10 or a Roland V-Synth in Rohans bedroom while he is sleeping :)

RekhanRekhan Posts: 5

A granular implement or port would be ace. Plus one to this

MChristianMChristian Austin, TX, USABeta Tester Posts: 1

+1 for granular!

rczrcz NYBeta Tester Posts: 111

I think this actually may be another case for an effects api ala korg prologue etc. pretty sure ive seen a granular implementation in that.