Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Patch independent arp

I'm really interested in hearing what people think about the idea of a mode for the arpeggiator that allows it to function independently of the patch. Personally, if I'm working with an arp, I would like to be able to go through presets to hear what the instruments sound like. Currently, you have to remake the arp settings for each synth (time), which also creates a secondary patch and would quickly add clutter if I really wanted to listen to a lot of instruments.

Of course, the arp setting is important to set per instrument. Therefore, my current suggestion is to assign a way to "lock, aka function outside of the synth without creating a new custom version of that patch" or "unlock, aka use the patch arp settings".

Any other suggestions or ideas to accomplish quicker arp access are definitely welcome. Thanks for your time.

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078
    edited December 2017

Most synths handle arpeggio settings per patch, some treat it as a global setting (some of my Roland synths do this).

By now I just poke in an arp pattern myself to cycle through presets. Or you could use an external controller obviously. Guess not very helpful as you thought of that yourself most likely.
    The lock mechanism you describe would work I guess, would not mind to have that setting :)

Midi tracks also have an arp, so maybe there is way to route a midi track to a synth/kit track, have to try later.

Post edited by amiga909 on

You can set up a patch independent arp. If you dont mind using your midi ports
    1) Connect midi in to midi out
    Note: Amazing, most gear I have ends up in a midi feedback loop if I do this.
    If Deluge freezes (did not happen here), you might need to turn off midi clock.
    2) Set up a new midi track and activate arpeggio
    3) Create new synth track
    4) Midi learn as you would if you had an external keyboard
    5) Voila the arpeggio plays and you can cycle through the patches

Hacky but it does work!
    Have to try later to control other stuff than track notes via a midi track..

keppecokeppeco Beta Tester Posts: 10

awesome workaround, that's a really cool idea

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247
    @amiga909 Nice one!

dropbox is removed

VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USABeta Tester Posts: 129

^ what is happening here?

Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
    YouTube: VJFranzK

Deluge allows to route its midi out back to its midi in. using the arp on the midi track u can for example have that arp playing every synth preset.

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

@amiga909 said:
    Deluge allows to route its midi out back to its midi in. using the arp on the midi track u can for example have that arp playing every synth preset.

Good workaround but not the same as an actual feature. I got caught a few times with an arp track ( note how we talk about the track owning the arp ) and wanting to audition different patches for it, and having to re-recreate the arp settings every time is annoying

yeah, apart from consuming the midi ports, the midi track has to be active in a scene as well. so not a global arp.

however, in this case i dont think it is a design flaw. dont forget we get individual arps per track.
    synths that have a global arp usually dont have individual arps. cant think of any device that lets u stack arps, but almost certainly there is gear that can do that.
    which doesnt mean stacked arps arent a good thing :) it is just not common.

imho keyboard view would be a good place, track specific too though..
    what do u think? where and how would u add a global arp?

more midi effects like arp, chorder, note repeat etc. would be fantastic, much fun, love stuff that hides my poor playing skills :)
    fair enough it is a limitation that can be overcome with an external controller, there are some cheap, battery powered options too nowadays.

VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USABeta Tester Posts: 129

OK, that's interesting! But it doesn't work on drum kits without a lot of MIDI Learn-ing.
    Also, it uses up the MIDI port, which you might like for other gear.

Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
    YouTube: VJFranzK

def. still a upvote. onboard playing is so much fun.

arpeggio, chorder, note repeat or stuff like midi delay, cc lfos, i want em all :)
    imho there is room for this in keyboard mode. vjfranzk, for kits too of course, its sad kit mode doesnt even have keyboard mode now. currently unused rightmost columns could be used for velocity control and access to midi effects like arp.

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

I guess the confusion is because the Deluge tries to be both a Sequencer and a Synth Engine. I expect Sequencers to have an Arp feature, ( which is obviously independent from the synth engine ) and send arpegiated midi notes to either an internal or external synth.

This makes a lot of sense because arpeggios are a way to play notes, and have no fondamental ties to the synth engine itself. Specifically on the Deluge, that would allow you to audition multiple synth preset with the arpeggio still running.

AkenAken MontrealPosts: 31

Yes but a global arp would mean that you could have only 1 track with the arp, or many tracks with exactly the same arp. Not my cup of tea.

http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/comment/8188#Comment_8188
    i d love to see a global arp in terms of beefing up keyboard view with a global midi effects chain